Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING TO ALL VISITORS TO THE GEELONG BOARD. You are - for the most part - welcome to discuss the current list management & trading situation at Geelong. However, this is our board, so be respectful of the home board posters & don't inflame arguments (make your points succinctly and move on). And if you're just here to troll, then don't bother or you will be enjoying a holiday

I think the Sumich comments are a ruse. I've seen Trew interviewed a few times now and he seems a decent kid.

You think west coast asked him to try and get trew to slide to their pick? 😉

AFL draft power rankings 21-40:

Few names mentioned on here a fair bit

28. Kaine BALDWIN

Clubs: Glenelg/South Australia

Position: Key Forward

Size: 193cm/90kg

Bio: Baldwin has had a tough run with injuries and could end up as a bargain for a club outside of the first round. His talent was clear at the Under 16 championships for South Australia, but has hardly been seen since. He tore his ACL at the start of 2019, before partially tearing the same ligament during a trial game at the beginning of this season. His contested marking and strength is the key traits that makes Baldwin standout, with the forward able to have an impact on a game and push further up the ground. He recently tested at the SA combine and is ready to hit an AFL pre-season hard.

33. Eddie FORD

Clubs: Western Jets/Vic Metro

Position: Midfielder

Size: 189cm/83kg

Bio: The forward-midfielder has plenty of X-Factor and loves to win the contested ball. He has a great ceiling and is far from the finished product. Clubs will look at Ford and think there are plenty of elements to his game they can improve, after he was unable to get on the field this season. Ford ran a sub 20m sprint at the recent combine and has shown his clean hands on the inside during games.

27. Zane TREW

Clubs: Swan Districts/Western Australia

Size: 186cm/80kg

Bio: Trew is a consistent ball winner and averaged over 24 touches in the WAFL Colts this season. His work on the inside is a big strength where he uses a good pair of clean hands to clear the ball from the stoppages. The 18-year-old also tackles hard and relishes the contest, standing up at multiple stages at key points in games.

25. Nathan O’DRISCOLL

Clubs: Perth/Western Australia

Size: 187cm/78kg

Bio: The 18-year-old is a bigger frame that is made for the centre of the ground. He has a long kick and bashes his way through the contest, averaging 6.7 tackles and 16 disposals in the Under 18 Championships last year. His work at WAFL level this year has impressed AFL club recruiters and he has shown a good ability to rack up the disposals.

23. Conor STONE

Clubs: Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro

Position: Medium Forward

Size: 188cm/81kg

Bio: Clubs pouring through vision of Stone in 2019 will be coming across one standout match, given the forward slotted five goals on NAB League debut for the Chargers. His acceleration can help him get ahead of his opponent close to goal, with the medium tall possessing good overhead marking ability. Stone has smarts and has pinpoint accuracy from set shot attempts. Given his athletic capabilities, clubs might try and develop him to play further up the ground in the future.

This is why some of the people desperate to trade back in to this draft are short sighted. Then given the ratings are going to be all over the place, I feel comfortable that we will get someone we like at 31 and 41 (likely draft positions given reshuffles). When I say like, I mean actually like not PR like.

Its really a Stephen Wells draft. Smokies everywhere, everyone has to really take a punt so no different to what he normally does. The usual BF complaint is he took a smokey with pick 15 etc well this year is exactly perfect for him. Your probably taking the piss if you think Wells would take Bruhn and Henry with say 10 anyway, he wouldn't it would be a smokie. The complete random nature of it is perfect for Wells.

That being said, I'm sure we can trade back in with those future seconds and get decent picks but I don't want to. Its not worth it. Give it twelve months and the GWS trade will look like the Jeremy Sharp for pick 10 trade.
Why on earth would Wells not take Bruhn or Henry at 10 but instead take a smokie?

This is why some of the people desperate to trade back in to this draft are short sighted. Then given the ratings are going to be all over the place, I feel comfortable that we will get someone we like at 31 and 41 (likely draft positions given reshuffles). When I say like, I mean actually like not PR like.

Its really a Stephen Wells draft. Smokies everywhere, everyone has to really take a punt so no different to what he normally does. The usual BF complaint is he took a smokey with pick 15 etc well this year is exactly perfect for him. Your probably taking the piss if you think Wells would take Bruhn and Henry with say 10 anyway, he wouldn't it would be a smokie. The complete random nature of it is perfect for Wells.

That being said, I'm sure we can trade back in with those future seconds and get decent picks but I don't want to. Its not worth it. Give it twelve months and the GWS trade will look like the Jeremy Sharp for pick 10 trade.
That’s has been true at different times but if you look at the last few drafts Wells has selected mostly players in the expected range. Evans is an outlier to that. But most others were around the mark or even sliders. And you could argue they’ve had a similar strike rate to others from the experimental picks. The issues I think is that the picks Wells usually gets means you need to take a risk to find talent. The talent without risks associated are in the top 10.

28. Kaine BALDWIN

Bio: Baldwin has had a tough run with injuries and could end up as a bargain for a club outside of the first round. His talent was clear at the Under 16 championships for South Australia, but has hardly been seen since. He tore his ACL at the start of 2019, before partially tearing the same ligament during a trial game at the beginning of this season. His contested marking and strength is the key traits that makes Baldwin standout, with the forward able to have an impact on a game and push further up the ground. He recently tested at the SA combine and is ready to hit an AFL pre-season hard.

33. Eddie FORD

Bio: The forward-midfielder has plenty of X-Factor and loves to win the contested ball. He has a great ceiling and is far from the finished product. Clubs will look at Ford and think there are plenty of elements to his game they can improve, after he was unable to get on the field this season. Ford ran a sub 20m sprint at the recent combine and has shown his clean hands on the inside during games.

27. Zane TREW

Bio: Trew is a consistent ball winner and averaged over 24 touches in the WAFL Colts this season. His work on the inside is a big strength where he uses a good pair of clean hands to clear the ball from the stoppages. The 18-year-old also tackles hard and relishes the contest, standing up at multiple stages at key points in games.

25. Nathan O’DRISCOLL

Bio: The 18-year-old is a bigger frame that is made for the centre of the ground. He has a long kick and bashes his way through the contest, averaging 6.7 tackles and 16 disposals in the Under 18 Championships last year. His work at WAFL level this year has impressed AFL club recruiters and he has shown a good ability to rack up the disposals.

23. Conor STONE

Bio: Clubs pouring through vision of Stone in 2019 will be coming across one standout match, given the forward slotted five goals on NAB League debut for the Chargers. His acceleration can help him get ahead of his opponent close to goal, with the medium tall possessing good overhead marking ability. Stone has smarts and has pinpoint accuracy from set shot attempts. Given his athletic capabilities, clubs might try and develop him to play further up the ground in the future.
You could almost see Wells trading in a 3rd pick in this draft. Everyone is keen to get out of this draft and Wells might see it as an opportunity.

Unless he goes after the KPD we've been linked to from Carlton in the PSD.

That’s has been true at different times but if you look at the last few drafts Wells has selected mostly players in the expected range. Evans is an outlier to that. But most others were around the mark or even sliders. And you could argue they’ve had a similar strike rate to others from the experimental picks. The issues I think is that the picks Wells usually gets means you need to take a risk to find talent. The talent without risks associated are in the top 10.
There was more interest in Evans then was talked about, hence the reason Wells pulled the trigger.

Last edited:

28. Kaine BALDWIN

33. Eddie FORD

27. Zane TREW

25. Nathan O’DRISCOLL

23. Conor STONE

The way he is being talked about Stone will be gone by 23

As I have said , Im quite happy to sit pat. I suspect we will find someone at P27..if we can pick up a Close and and Evans with picks later than P27 , then why not this year. The anxiety is probably related to a player like Henry who we had planed to pick. We may just have to hold our horses and tell him we will come for him in a year or two. If Freo drafted him , it would make an interesting trade in a year or two.

Historically yes Sw has show a willingness to use live trades if he sees an oppituntity ..why? imo he and his team are willing to back their judgement. So in theory ... if we had p10 , could we pick a huge smokie... its possible if SW really rated someone ..but even in the past its rare that we picks someone from nowhere ..we may have gone early but not total nonames. From memory Taylor was of interest to the Dogs the 20's , Mackie too long ago but he was a an early pick. Geelong have seen Bruhn and Henry close up, and they are local.. both values we like. It would then get down gto our rating of them. No matter we are not getting P10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could almost see Wells trading in a 3rd pick in this draft. Everyone is keen to get out of this draft and Wells might see it as an opportunity.

Unless he goes after the KPD we've been linked to from Carlton in the PSD.
I do agree, not sure if there’s many other teams who may be in the same position as us.
Who’s the Carlton bloke and who/where has linked him

I do agree, not sure if there’s many other teams who may be in the same position as us.

Macraedie.
Selwood basically said we are likely to only take 2 picks so the 3rd spot will either be for a rookie or a DFA/SSP pick later on.

I hope Hawthorn pick that kid Baldwin because it will be a waste of a pick

They wont unless its very late in the draft as they will take phillips or hollands at 4 and then be matching a bid for downie in the 2nd round somewhere.

Give me some Isiah WINDER.
This kid is a better version of Shai Bolton IMO.

As I have said , Im quite happy to sit pat. I suspect we will find someone at P27..if we can pick up a Close and and Evans with picks later than P27 , then why not this year. The anxiety is probably related to a player like Henry who we had planed to pick. We may just have to hold our horses and tell him we will come for him in a year or two. If Freo drafted him , it would make an interesting trade in a year or two.

Historically yes Sw has show a willingness to use live trades if he sees an oppituntity ..why? imo he and his team are willing to back their judgement. So in theory ... if we had p10 , could we pick a huge smokie... its possible if SW really rated someone ..but even in the past its rare that we picks someone from nowhere ..we may have gone early but not total nonames. From memory Taylor was of interest to the Dogs the 20's , Mackie too long ago but he was a an early pick. Geelong have seen Bruhn and Henry close up, and they are local.. both values we like. It would then get down gto our rating of them. No matter we are not getting P10
Agreed - unless there is a massive slider that Wells has a top 10-12 ranking on that is there at 20 .... id hold pat.

GO Catters

Baldwin - no. We have a dreadful record with drafting chronically injured players. With Freddie and Hendo also having chronic knees, we don’t need another injured KP player, at least with our highest pick. (Edit - notice that macreadie has also been chronically injured. Rookie maybe but again I’d avoid if there is a fit alternative).

A (fit !) ruck or KPD would be best, but I’d be happy with skilful, line breaking back pocket, half back given that we really missed that in the GF.

Last edited:
Who were the last few highly rated juniors that had missed the best part of 2 years of footy prior to the draft. I can think of Bonar and from memory Burton from Hawks missed a lot of footy.

Interesting to know if any ever turned out to be a success.

Macraedie.
Selwood basically said we are likely to only take 2 picks so the 3rd spot will either be for a rookie or a DFA/SSP pick later on.

why not get a couple like macreadie .. put them into the vfl side ..and if we like someone we can take him mid year or whatever

why not get a couple like macreadie .. put them into the vfl side ..and if we like someone we can take him mid year or whatever

Fair point especially if we leave a spot open for that.

We might be able to get another bargain deal like our future 3rd for another pick in the late 20s or early 30s.
Not sure who linked us to the carlton bloke but I've seen it a few times now. Might be a handy KPD insurance player. Never give a real chance at carlton. Reminds me of a Harley type deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back