Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially as Ess and GWS picks are not getting earlier...
Yep. I was confident we'd pick up a couple of mids with those two picks but they're so far out now I think we need to trade them to a side that needs points in exchange for an earlier selection. Hopefully we hold Clark but if part of a pick swap that nets is knevitt on the exchange it would be a silver lining

Read something earlier today which I wouldn't be surprised with - look for St Kilda to show interest in Talia

We know that Carlisle has already retired, and wouldn't be surprised to see Frawley retire for a second time in 2 seasons - out of contract after this year and only played the 2 games

They may see the chance to take a risk on Talia to add to their defender ranks

If Talia was a 29 going on 30 version of Harry Taylor ..then sign me up. Probably fits StKilda's needs Carlise and Frawley etc.

Yep. I was confident we'd pick up a couple of mids with those two picks but they're so far out now I think we need to trade them to a side that needs points in exchange for an earlier selection. Hopefully we hold Clark but if part of a pick swap that nets is knevitt on the exchange it would be a silver lining

Thing is Knevit is far from a finished product.. playing as a mid at 193 inenticing. He drifts forward and marks like a 3rd forward. Has speed and can move around the ground but just how early is he. Im not sure..it depends on how well you rate others.. but Im not sure he is a r1 pick. The Combine will not hurt him but it will be interesting to see what his numbers are.

The Talia observation is what I thought watching his 2020 highlights.

Are you saying we only drafted Holmes because we know Clark will go?

Id like for us to get back to playing two or more green kids like we did when Scott first cam here. Holmes is almost this ... as other could be selected in his stead. They obviously see the inderlying benifit of getting him to 50 plus games aqap. I hope one or two who have not seen much time so far can make inroads next year... so sometimes that means hard choices. It means players that have some potential are give games over others that have potential. Pretty sure Narkle is on another list next year if another club is will to offer him a regular game.

yeah I think we took Holmes knowing Clark would leave- which is also why I think he’s gotten games this year over him at times. I think letting Narkle leave could be a trade we regret in a few years time- which isn’t the best reason to keep a player, but sometimes you have to move on despite acknowledging the risks. Constable as well, he actually needs a move for his career at this point so don’t begrudge that. Yeah I’m just getting back into committed Geelong fandom so I’ve not paid the closest attention to the last few drafts. I wonder what happens with Brownless and how he’s tracking?

Menegola was in line to be a DFA at the end of this season meaning he could have gone to which ever team he wanted - instead he signed a 2-year contract extension November last year

Bews re-signed for 3 year just last month, so he won't be going anywhere

Narkle is that almost player, but surely looks more likely to go than stay, and if the offer from us is 2-years, I don't doubt that another team will offer him 3 years

thanks, I’d missed that news. I’d consider trading menengola end of next year as a preagent if value is high enough, but glad we’re keeping him. Very glad to hear about Bews. Yeah I think Narkle will go, but rate him very highly, he has great weapons out of stoppage and should be getting more goals, but it’s hard to evaluate when he’s in and out so often. Club clearly sees him as a mid, I’d have liked to see him play a few more positions and test his versatility at half back or forward.

yeah I think we took Holmes knowing Clark would leave- which is also why I think he’s gotten games this year over him at times. I think letting Narkle leave could be a trade we regret in a few years time- which isn’t the best reason to keep a player, but sometimes you have to move on despite acknowledging the risks. Constable as well, he actually needs a move for his career at this point so don’t begrudge that. Yeah I’m just getting back into committed Geelong fandom so I’ve not paid the closest attention to the last few drafts. I wonder what happens with Brownless and how he’s tracking?

If Narkle , at his age and time on the list , is not a regular selection ... why would we think we have control over if he goes or stays. He is OOC... I doubt we offer a contract that tempts him to stay knowing he may continue to be fringe.

Any player that is not a regular selection will consider his options. He will look at others sides where he will think he is the equal of several players that are getting regular games. If they come knocking then he will go. I do not see that as letting him go. In real terms he should be Free Agent.

It's heaps of 'hot takes', remember. Truth in advertising, at the very least.
Haha I just missed the memo about the contract extension for menengola and bews.
If Narkle , at his age and time on the list , is not a regular selection ... why would we think we have control over if he goes or stays. He is OOC... I doubt we offer a contract that tempts him to stay knowing he may continue to be fringe.

Any player that is not a regular selection will consider his options. He will look at others sides where he will think he is the equal of several players that are getting regular games. If they come knocking then he will go. I do not see that as letting him go. In real terms he should be Free Agent.
very fair semantic point. I’d just like us to offer him that contract that keeps him, but accept he will likely go. Even if he signs with the proviso if we don’t play him for x number of games next year we’ll trade him.

Thing is Knevit is far from a finished product.. playing as a mid at 193 inenticing. He drifts forward and marks like a 3rd forward. Has speed and can move around the ground but just how early is he. Im not sure..it depends on how well you rate others.. but Im not sure he is a r1 pick. The Combine will not hurt him but it will be interesting to see what his numbers are.
I actually think that the fact he needs a development window is perfect for us. We can park him in the 2s for 2 years whereas a more ready made type would potentially be in the Jordan Clark situation of getting itchy earlier

Its not getting any easier to sneak Knevitt ....

One goes up , maybe another kid slides .. the kid Goater likes very handy

You are as bullish on Knevitt as I on Jhye Clark (next year). Be interesting to see how they pan out. Did see Knevitt earlier in his career, been very good for a while now.

I'd like to think we took Holmes because he's a prospect with some elite attributes and was under the microscope of some very well run clubs E.g Richmond which has been documented.

I don't think Clark possibly leaving had much to do with it. I think Wells and the club just saw Holmes as a raw prospect with huge potential and high character.

I could be wrong, maybe they saw Holmes as the Clark replacement but I just don't see our club thinking that way.

I guess they're both pasty, skinny, white blokes who can both run fast, maybe that's where we're getting the comparisons.

I'd like to think we took Holmes because he's a prospect with some elite attributes and was under the microscope of some very well run clubs E.g Richmond which has been documented.

I don't think Clark possibly leaving had much to do with it. I think Wells and the club just saw Holmes as a raw prospect with huge potential and high character.

I could be wrong, maybe they saw Holmes as the Clark replacement but I just don't see our club thinking that way.

I guess they're both pasty, skinny, white blokes who can both run fast, maybe that's where we're getting the comparisons.
Holmes had very little actual football footage to base the recruit on, find the so called Clark replacement very hard to believe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, they would see them as completely different players. Holmes will have bulked up to on-baller size by the time our wings have retired. Not sure he'll play a full season there.

Cam will be fine at 33, has historically great durability and has shown the capacity to play more than one position.

I think Cam has had injuries in all of his last 5 seasons, 4 years seems crazy unless we are getting a great deal money wise and maybe we are.

What’s his kicking like?

I think Cam has had injuries in all of his last 5 seasons, 4 years seems crazy unless we are getting a great deal money wise and maybe we are.

201 games in ten seasons....He deserves 4 years and should get it. Top drawer midfielder these days.

201 games in ten seasons....He deserves 4 years and should get it. Top drawer midfielder these days.
He's always been a good player, he has clearly taken his game to another level in the last two years. He deserves that 4 year deal, he could easily get a longer deal on more money elsewhere. He could be a 300 game player for us. Another Wells special, picked up in the 20s (second round).

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's actually 199 in the last ten seasons. He played two games in his first year on the list (2011). Still, doesn't disprove your point at all. We have far bigger issues facing the list management team than whether our current Carji winner and AA mid is worthy of a four year deal.

Completely different players. Holmes has a hard edge for starters.

What’s his kicking like?

Reasonable.Not great not horrific. He has marked and converted multiple times from 30-40 out .when going forward..and seems to get the job done around the ground.... but Duncan he is not.

Id say it could do with with a polish.

Seems to have a highish ball drop which sees him lean back on it but he does get thru the ball. I think it just needs some routine and practice Id probably see he look like a lot of players who look like they look like they kick without a well practiced routine... probably be heap like that this year with so little footy the last couple of years.

kn1.png kn2.png kn3.5.png kn4.png

Well I for one hope that once Holmes puts on some size he develops into an inside mid that can use the pace to burst from a stoppage. They've used him in outside roles in the AFL side but when I have seen him play VFL he has done well inside. Don't want to go all out and say Chris Judd but something like this would be nice :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back