Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is the worst top 10 hell the worst draft i can remember, the u18 chaps i could not even watch a hole game this year, other than 3 players it's pot luck
I respect your opinion a lot, but it will be interesting to look back on this draft in 15 years time to see if this turns out to be true. I recall them saying a similar thing on the 2003 draft initially and they were spot on… horrible draft. As we know there’ll always be players there in each draft, I just hope we find them with our picks 😂

It's Jhye Clark or bust for me.

If he gets taken before us, I would trade the pick for a future 1st.
Depends whose future first. I think it's more likely we get a club that rates itself to finish next year strongly will throw us a late one this year and future 1st.

If we're only getting one pick out of it you'd want to pretty much be able to exclude the possibility they make the 8

“Best 22” is such a nebulous concept. No well run club thinks that way. The nuffies on trade radio who talk about “best 22” are people like Silvagni and Rendell, and they are no longer employed in list management roles because they were incompetent.
All of us here on BigFooty are irrelevant. Nothing we say on here will change the outcome of the Henry or any other trade. It’s just about equally irrelevant footy fans sharing there opinion on topics. If you think you know better than Silvagni, Randell or anyone else here on BigFooty your kidding yourself.

I was just stating my opinion on what type of player is worth trading a round 1 pick for. Have a look at what trades have been done this year and last. Was there anyone who traded a R1 pick that wasn’t seen as a player that would start in the team in the next season. I can’t recall any.

I respect your opinion that you think trading Henry for a round 1 pick (even though there is no clear spot on the team for him right now) is worth it, but a player like Grundy (who would be our starting ruckman) isn’t. I just don’t agree. Neither of us will be the list manager of Geelong or any other club, so probably won’t matter in the end.

Last edited:

Midfielders:
DF, Duncan, Smith, Menegola, Atkins, Parfitt, C Guthrie, Holmes, Stephens, Blicavs, O'Connor, Kroeger, Whyte, Willis, Knevitt, Bruhn.

Key position players:
Tomahawk, Cameron, SDK, Ratugolea, Neale.

Probably Hawkins last year. If Ratugolea goes to Port Adelaide we need to recruit key position players.

Forget about Jhye Clark and O Henry.

You don’t go needs based inside top 10.

I think there's a strong possibility we see the player we want gone by our pick on the night and live trade 7 to split. Don't know who with.

I think that's our backup plan. Sydney with 14 and 17 might be an option if there's someone they like still there. I'd say Busslinger and Hotton, given our reported interest, would be the two teens picks we'd be looking at, but who knows with this draft tbh

Interesting..means we cant get their fr2 for sav...i wonder if the afl is going to be pushy on insisting a future 1st goes for bowes?
Will get done for a future 3rd. IMO AM wouldn’t have traded fr2 to Brisbane if he wasn’t confident on that. Not sure AFL can be setting limits on what draft picks get agreed to. If they where worried about lopsided looking trades why didn’t they stop our pick 25 trade, where traded double the points value for pick 25. They should be looking for back scratching deals not denying trades where on side has the balance of power and the other is desperate.

Can't see the afl forcing us to give up 25 when they themselves have publicly said a future pick would need to be involved.

They'd effectively be blocking a trade for Henry too which the AFLPA won't like
It's fascinating

The Pies are f@cked;

They either piss off their entire supporter base by taking unders or they make Ollie walk and look like petty children throwing their toys, as well as putting ego ahead of the club.

Even if they walked him, I can't see another club picking him up after the public display of chaos

Id not totally dismiss the concept considering what it would allow for next year. I don't think you would totally have to trade out of R1 it depends on what number you are think about. The risk is who knows what you turn 7 into ... it could be p20.

There would probably be clubs willing to give us Fr1 and a later pick in 2022.

Last edited:
It's fascinating

The Pies are f@cked;

They either piss off their entire supporter base by taking unders or they make Ollie walk and look like petty children throwing their toys, as well as putting ego ahead of the club.

Even if they walked him, I can't see another club picking him up after the public display of chaos
I don't think 25 is unders though. Ii don't think the Pies do either but they have to show the feral base that they are least tried to get pick 7.

That is a very expensive principle. But if you want to cut off your nose to spite your face be my guest.

The chances are Collingwood will only be taking 2 picks in the ND. The 3rd will be a rookie upgrade for Noble. We'd be expecting something in the Grundy trade this off season + we have our 1st rounder. There's not the same risk there for us if we walk away from an offer that is under our valuation, especially when we'd be effectively gifting a talented player to one of our toughest competitors.

It's fascinating

The Pies are f@cked;

They'll come to terms with it I think. They just need to show their supporter base they're trying to get 7 in the exchange and will probably throw up all sorts of scenarios.

I think we'll go in this week publicly saying 25 outright and then at the last minute it's going to be 25 and a 3rd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The chances are Collingwood will only be taking 2 picks in the ND. The 3rd will be a rookie upgrade for Noble. We'd be expecting something in the Grundy trade this off season + we have our 1st rounder. There's not the same risk there for us if we walk away from an offer that is under our valuation, especially when we'd be effectively gifting a talented player to one of our toughest competitors.
So the risk for you is losing a player for zero and that's somehow less than the risk that Geelong loses zero by not picking up the player?

Midfielders:
DF, Duncan, Smith, Menegola, Atkins, Parfitt, C Guthrie, Holmes, Stephens, Blicavs, O'Connor, Kroeger, Whyte, Willis, Knevitt, Bruhn.

Key position players:
Tomahawk, Cameron, SDK, Ratugolea, Neale.

Probably Hawkins last year. If Ratugolea goes to Port Adelaide we need to recruit key position players.

Forget about Jhye Clark and O Henry.

We need kpps for sure but you dont muck around with top 10 picks imo its just best talent and needs shouldnt affect it unless its a genuine 50-50.

Yes with our rookie picks this year and our later picks in 2023 we will need to pick some talls for needs i dont think theres much disputing that.

Why keep coming back it's not up to us or you, you had your say now time to just give it a rest

So the risk for you is losing a player for zero and that's somehow less than the risk that Geelong loses zero by not picking up the player?

The leverage they have, which was one of the reasons id have got the Henry one done first... is the family thing ...the strong link to Geelong. Not getting it done..how does it affect etc etc... and to some degree that put more pressure on us than if he was Ollie Smith.

I still feel we could have could have got the Bruhn trade done with other picks... but its done now. It more a win or crash situation.

Of course it depends on who we might be trading (and by definition - if it happens trade night - is is likely somebody who was above Gold Coast on the ladder this year) but I think they would be thinking about trading into another first round pick next year unless they saw someone else “first round worthy”. Now a risk of course as you dont exactly know where next years first round ends up but…

For me we don’t have to go big on drafts this year. Assuming we get what we think we will, we genuinely have a “AFL level” squad of 30 (last year 23 less Selwood add in 3 new recruits, Holmes, Menegola, Stephens, Neale, Mitch and Dempsey - with the last few still fringe but have proven can play games). And frankly the 4 other draftees from this year will all be like first years in reality given the amount of footy they missed (Whyte, Krueger, Toby, ‘Bruce’).

I just don’t see the need to add a top 10 pick this year unless they are just so certain they will be a 200+ player. If they got offered a future 1st (and some change?) then they would look at it if they felt they were not getting that?

maybe?

It's very similar to the Clark trade last year.

We wanted 19, they offered 22.

In the end a compromise was reached.
The seller has to always cave in these circumstances - or don’t do the deal. But it always happens last minute…

of course this one is interesting if we hold off the paperwork for Bowes until we confirm Henry deal then that puts Collingwood under time pressure as that Gold Coast Deal unlocks a few things I thikn

25 is definitely unders IMO but seems it’s now a ‘take it or leave it’ scenario.

Who blinks first?

Is it really unders?

Henry wasn't in their best 23 come finals and is out of contract - it would seem pretty spot on, especially when compared with other trades already completed

Just because he was drafted in the first round doesn't mean he's held that value 2 years on

The leverage they have, which was one of the reasons id have got the Henry one done first... is the family thing ...the strong link to Geelong. Not getting it done..how does it affect etc etc... and to some degree that put more pressure on us than if he was Ollie Smith.

I still feel we could have could have got the Bruhn trade done with other picks... but its done now. It more a win or crash situation.
I would take Ollie Smith too 😯 - just can’t have too many Ollies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back