Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jefferson 195cm
Max King 204cm

King's biggest weapon is that he can plunk the ball from higher than others due to his height and reach.
Jefferson at 195cm is not going to have that luxury.

I can see Jefferson pushing out in the draft a bit unless there's a couple of sides keen to take a tall forward with their 1st pick
I think his marking ability will stand out to clubs and is what draws the King Comparisons, guys taken some unreal marks this year, isnt the finished product as he needs a hell of alot of body mass and his set shot kicking is pretty average but I'd be surprised if he didnt go in that 10-15 range.

That would probably be 2xR1 picks and a R2 pick, based on Tim Kelly. Maybe more based on his age and unique ability.

Also, I don't think the brothers want to play together.
SDK is also a premiership player now and that means a lot more than who you supported as a kid or who your brother plays for.

Same problem, GC won't accept it as they don't need a Future 1st given Walter bid. They apparently might want to draft Jhye themselves, so that's another issue
It's funny, the more he's linked to Geelong, the more other clubs want him. Mentioning him as a the next Selwood is really making other clubs second guess their initial decisions on players.

We were never ever getting Clark, as we would never have had the pick prior to 2 weeks ago, so all that mentoring that Selwood did with him, wasn't really to get him in the draft, but to probably trade for him in the future.

It's one of those situations where you have to think about it strategically, with a bit of game-theory in mind. We have probably set our recruitment (and salary cap) plans up for Clark to be drafted back to us in 2-3 years time (if he fulfills some of his potential). We already have a strong cohort of young midfielders coming through. So really, we don't need to get Clark now. In fact, to get him now would seem like a bit of a waste as we'll collect him later. That being said, if Clark was available to us at 7 and we passed on him, then he might be a bit miffed and then choose to not come to us in future. So it's kinda delicate. Better to keep the narrative going and force a team to grab him before us.

I think it's in Wells/Mackie's interest for Clark to be drafted by a team like North/the Hawks, even the Suns - and for that to happen before our pick.

It leaves a very good young player, with tonnes of potential, that we would NEVER EVER have had access to on the board for us to take.

Zac Williams?

When Williams joined Carlton following the 2020 season, it was on a 6-year deal reportedly worth between $800k & $900k per season - he's current contract doesn't finish until 2026, and if his form drops off to the point of Carlton being happy to let him go, then surely it's unlikely anyone picks up the last 3 years of his deal for someone not playing at the level of their contract
They'd have to hand over first round pick to go with his salary dump.

That would probably be 2xR1 picks and a R2 pick, based on Tim Kelly. Maybe more based on his age and unique ability.

Also, I don't think the brothers want to play together.

Reckon this is a beatr up.

Would be insanely shocked if you said to either one "yo, we want to trade in your bro" and the player say's "nah, I don't want to play with my brother, please don't do that... I beg you".

It absolutely does but Geelong have changed the AFL's age profiling structure
Only Geelong has been able to implement this with the best efficiency as we've been focusing on this for the last 6 years. So it's really only a competitive advantage for us.

Anyone else trying to do it would have to put years of list building, training, tactics and strategy in place to maybe get the rewards. Coaches in other clubs wouldn't last as long with this sort of plan in place. Or would have too many board members having their say and ultimately creating a half plan that falls apart and makes them rebuild the entire team after a couple of years.

TDK is a strong pass for me, even if he becomes available he be way too expensive to trade for. Who was the last young ruck we put in the first team? Mark Blake? we seem to just try and trade for ready made serviceable rucks except for guys like goldstein and grundy whos obviously more than serviceable

Shane Mumford, Dawson Simpson, Nathan Vardy...

Reckon this is a beatr up.

Would be insanely shocked if you said to either one "yo, we want to trade in your bro" and the player say's "nah, I don't want to play with my brother, please don't do that... I beg you".
Well, some seem to desperately want to play together, some are very indifferent. And TDK and SDK fall into the latter category. They have both been on record saying they want to play against each other. And their parents have said that TDK likes being in the city and at his favourite team, while SDK is more relaxed and likes being in the region in his favourite town (Torquay), where the rest of the family are living.

As a recruiter, you wouldnt really be able to use the lure of playing with your brother in this instance. Not as strongly as with other players.

Well, some seem to desperately want to play together, some are very indifferent. And TDK and SDK fall into the latter category. They have both been on record saying they want to play against each other. And their parents have said that TDK likes being in the city and at his favourite team, while SDK is more relaxed and likes being in the region in his favourite town (Torquay), where the rest of the family are living.

As a recruiter, you wouldnt really be able to use the lure of playing with your brother in this instance. Not as strongly as with other players.

That probably keeps them where they are you would hope ( don't want SDK leaving)
I'm more interested in Neale than TDK to be honest - Neale and SDK seem tight and were training partners last preseason - I hope that grows this preseason and they get to play some games together in 2023.
Neale seems to like the Club and is a great fit IMO - I'm sure we will have outlined his pathway and he will do his level best in 2023 to fulfil that going forward.

Id not put too much credence in public statements ..they may or may not be true. Tall brothers probably are more of a challenge playing together than mids. I remember the Madderns having to split up.. ar the Dek's more like the Kings or the Henry's

As it stands one could probably see a role for both in the same side. Time will tell. If he signs a new contract at Carlton then after seeing the type of success that drove Ollie Henry to join his brother ..then we know he is happy at the Blues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id not put too much credence in public statements ..they may or may not be true. Tall brothers probably are more of a challenge playing together than mids. I remember the Madderns having to split up.. ar the Dek's more like the Kings or the Henry's

As it stands one could probably see a role for both in the same side. Time will tell. If he signs a new contract at Carlton then after seeing the type of success that drove Ollie Henry to join his brother ..then we know he is happy at the Blues

Thing is the Kings are both massive Aints tragics and like playing together, which is the only thread of hope the Sainters have of getting the other King either via trade or waiting until he is a FA and decides to return to Vic.

Thing is the Kings are both massive Aints tragics and like playing together, which is the only thread of hope the Sainters have of getting the other King either via trade or waiting until he is a FA and decides to return to Vic.
why the hell didnt the suns draft both of them together. Now they took rankine whos now pissed off back to crom meaning they're back to square 1

TDK is a strong pass for me, even if he becomes available he be way too expensive to trade for. Who was the last young ruck we put in the first team? Mark Blake? we seem to just try and trade for ready made serviceable rucks except for guys like goldstein and grundy whos obviously more than serviceable
We don't even need to trade for one when we have Conway who was hand picked by Brad Ottens. i get the DeKoning connection but yeah if Carlton demand the World i'd say, no thanks.

in terms of Conway, you don't get handed #6 by your mentor who is a Cats legend and given a longer term contract as a Rookie if the club don't think you're going to be a star, especially at Geelong with the unreal scouting and development.

Newscorp media has us interested in this guy. Would have to be late/rookie.

Country footy smokey firms​

Country footy smokey Joe Richards has come from the clouds to enter serious AFL Draft calculations after a surge of interest from a handful of clubs.

Testing at this month’s state draft combine after receiving an eleventh hour invite, Richards has turned heads with his electric speed, innate goal sense and kicking on both sides of his body in the Ovens and Murray Football League for Wangaratta.

The 22-year-old school teacher, who looms as a potential rookie option, came equal third in both the standing vertical jump and running vertical jump at the testing day in Melbourne earlier this month.

Grand finalists Geelong and Sydney are understood to be among the clubs to have registered interest in the playmaker, who has won three best-and-fairests and has been coached for the past two seasons by former Collingwood premiership player Ben Reid.

Collingwood has also touched base with Reid about the speedy forward, with Reid telling Magpies recruiting boss Derek Hine: “This kid can play.”

The Swans first reached out about Richards through Bruce Reid Jr, the father of Ben and Sydney tall Sam.

“Those two clubs, I think both of them could take a punt on him – I hope he goes to the Pies to be honest!” Reid told News Corp.

“He’s got a lot of AFL traits in terms of his speed and the way that he can break games open with five or six quick steps.”

Reid, who played 152 games for the Magpies before his retirement in 2020, believes Richards deserves a spot on an AFL list, saying that he has significant upside along with the attributes and dedication to make it at the next level.

“I think he hasn’t even scratched the surface yet. If he went into an AFL program he would go to another level,” he said.

Richards has a scintillating highlight reel at local level and was best on ground in Ovens and Murray’s interleague clash with Goulburn Valley this year.

Athletic tall Kaelan Bradtke is another smokey from the Ovens and Murray League, earning a call-up for Sydney’s VFL side earlier in the season and testing at the state combine following a breakout campaign for Corowa Rutherglen.

“Coming back to Ovens and Murray there are more kids than just Joe that if I was a recruiter, I’d be coming to look at. It’s a really healthy league,” Reid said.

why the hell didnt the suns draft both of them together. Now they took rankine whos now pissed off back to crom meaning they're back to square 1

I thought that at the time. Especially as both Kings were capable forwards and defenders at youth level.

Take them both, likely keep them happy, and then you have a KPD and KPF or two KPFs to build a team around.

Jeez this kid has a lot of good traits based on that vision...could be higher than late/rookie if there's 3 different clubs interested.

Definitely a Wells pick though

Did a bit of reading on him. Made his senior debut in 2016 (he would've been 15 or 16 then) and kicked 11 as a small forward. Seems he played mainly midfield this season.

Kid looks alright.

But so did Jordan Murdoch..

Jeez this kid has a lot of good traits based on that vision...could be higher than late/rookie if there's 3 different clubs interested.

Definitely a Wells pick though
both sides of the body.... reminds me of Ollie Dempsey. Vision... skills... footy brain but small.

Could do WAY worse than him with a late pick.

GO Catters

Just like we went with Evens with pick 41, our 2nd pick this year is very late in the national draft, if there is wide interest, why wouldn't we go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back