Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your info on Holmes has been proven correct. Holmes and the medicos thought he was playing, it was only a late call from Scott. Unless you're Scott himself, I'm not sure how you could've known any different. Your mail was good.
I think the full story will come out over time. But there was a bit going on over that 24 hour period.

All I was told in the end was that medicos cleared him, Holmes was expecting to play, and then there was a conversation with player and coach late in the day / early evening. Ultimately, the decision not to play was driven as much by Holmes as it was the club telling him he's not playing. So simply reading between the lines, my guess is that Scott told Holmes they were worried he wouldn't make it through a full game, and that if he broke down it would severely disadvantage the club and his team mates. Holmes didn't want that hanging over his head.

Maybe we'll never know.

Sack Mackie if we get anything less than Bowes, pick 7, Henry, Bruhn, McKenna, De Goey, pick 1, Petracca, Toby Greene and a top quality ruckman. He needs to earn his keep, this negotiating stuff really isn't that hard.

You weren't the only one on here and other boards who had info that Bowes to Geelong was a done deal - so there's no need for people to hang sh*t on you or call you out. Can guarantee, majority of people appreciate yours, Jack the Godfather's and year of the cat's inside info we've gotten the last couple of weeks. I'd rather speculation than absolutely no info at all - so kudos for at least making it interesting, haha
I promise to add a disclaimer on any posts if I'm making stuff up just to have some fun :p

Boy has the wind changed direction - he was a gun yesterday - now he is a hack

I still want Bowes - have wanted him for ages before the Pick 7 was announced, and even before he was on our radar. 2nd fave player at GC, so can guarantee I personally have not changed my tune on him at all.

If we are all being honest though, most of us have said that what is best for his career, is to go to the Hawks or Bombers and not to us. I honestly am not that bothered if it doesn't happen, as you want him to do what's best for him, after being shafted by GC...after doing the right thing by them and pushing his salary back.

I mean, tbh, the most baffling thing about all of this, is that the best place for him to go would in fact, be GC. Side that should be contending for finals soon, he can still be Best 22, and they generally struggle to attract players who want to go there. Now they're actively pushing him out and giving Pick 7 as well...whole thing is bonkers. They could just have kept him, renegotiated the contract like other clubs will, and then kept their Pick 7 as well. Management there has got more picks than brains, IMO.

Assune the following scenario (best as i can explain Turbocat might do it better).
Lets assume theres 60 picks in draft total.
Assume brisbane have 3 r2s and 3 r3s worth x points.
They can use all 6 picks to match only if theyve cleared 6 senior list spots (ie they must delist/ret that many players). Ie if only 5 senior list spots can only use first 5 picks and 6th disappears.
This is why its better for them to accumulate x no of points via 4 picks than 6 if possible as it saves them delisting 2 extra players.
Anyway
Ashcroft is bid at 1 (example)
They use the first 6 picks to match bid.
Fletcher then bid at 16 (for eg)
They have no picks left so they match and deficit is applied to future 1st 2023.
Still have 4 vacant list spots and picks gone.

Afl then will give them picks 61-64 to fill their list (if the draft has 70 picks its 71-74 etc).
They can do this by either
Drafting 4 kids at the end of the draft
Re draft 4 guys they delisted
Pass some picks for psd or ssp
Or any combination of all 3 so long as they end up with the minimum 36 players on senior list.

Its important to note that the deficit comes on the round where bid is placed ie if its a r1 bid deficit on fr1, if r2 bid then deficit on fr2.
Obviously thats why they would trade out the future 1st now.

So they can match ashcroft and fletcher they will just have only very late picks year it will wipe them out of this years draft.
As for dunkley i doubt dogs take fr1 alone (nor should they with the uncertainty of deficit) it is probably going to be #15 + fr1 with the dogs sending back some later r2s or r3s or something equivalent to help bris cover bids (see scenario above).
Thank you.

One can only hope it gets stripped from them when their current crisis is resolved.
The issue - as Gold Coast and GWS have faced - is the price of stacking first round picks. It kills your salary structure, pretty much ends up as an all or nothing style of vying for premierships.

Having rookies and lower picks, allows you to develop, rather than draft high-end talent. In my opinion, there is very little difference between those top-ranked players and players who are developed in the right system with the right senior players around them. Close, Atkins, Jack Henry and Stewart are perfect examples. It's so much more effective to trade in proven topline players (who may have been first round picks) and then pay them their worth. They come into a clean system, know their roles and impact as mature players.

FWIW..... the journo's are desperate to break a story and be first, and have sources at all the clubs..
If they cop a whiff a decision has been made they will pump out a tweet instantly to try claim it first.

Until they do, assume nothing has happened, despite a rando on the Hawks board claiming an annoucement is coming etc... the journos will know and have it out instantly if it happens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like it or not, I can see why the Hawks are an attractive club to a recruit.

They tend to win flags every decade, that's a fact.

The chances of a recruit seeing success is pretty high at Hawthorn.

I'm holding off calling him a gun or hack until he nominates a club, I'll have a definitive opinion once that happens. Trade week 101.
But this is how it should be, if he makes the choice to come here, we want him & will see him become a real gun. If he doesn't, he doesn't belong here and we'll question he was ever worth that money.

Like it or not, I can see why the Hawks are an attractive club to a recruit.

They tend to win flags every decade, that's a fact.

The chances of a recruit seeing success is pretty high at Hawthorn.
Yep. They won't be down the bottom very long. I'm not buying them being a basket case for very long. They're a successful club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back