Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

No way is their first rounder enough for us to take on the 6x $1.2m contract.

At no cost to us you might consider the risk for 6x $500k which would put him about on the average AFL wage but the 6 years is a big risk. Maybe if they throw in their first that could become 6x $750k but even that's a stretch. No way we do 6x $1.2m.

If thats the cost to them to trade him they are better off keeping him.

Was told at the time of the draft that Battle was our main target that year and the Saints jumped us.

History says we took a bloke called Tom Stewart - but Geelong were going to use that pick on Battle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We were going to take battle then stewart with our next pick (which was sav) but freo had a pick in between and threatened to pick stewart and stewart had to try hard to dissuade them (they picked cox instead) hence we didnt risk losing stewart changed tack and took sav when battle was gone a few picks before.

That said battles dad is a massive hawks nuffie and hes going to the hawks-hes not coming here.

We were going to take battle then stewart with our next pick (which was sav) but freo had a pick in between and threatened to pick stewart and stewart had to try hard to dissuade them (they picked cox instead) hence we didnt risk losing stewart changed tack and took sav when battle was gone a few picks before.

That said battles dad is a massive hawks nuffie and hes going to the hawks-hes not coming here.
I reckon Battle's going to Hawthorn as well....but Smith and his family are Hawks nuffies too, and all the mail is he's coming to us.

On the other hand Worpel and his family are/were Cats tragics (so much so that they'd be the types to use BigFooty) and he's stayed at the old enemy despite offers from us.

We read too much into who players supported as kids sometimes. It's rarely - if ever - a deciding factor.

Money, success, lifestyle, and being closer to family are the driving factors 99% of the time. Allegiances as a kid would be in the 1%.

I’d pass on English but would love Rohan Marshall, he’d be a great addition to our list.
Obviously there’s costs to work out both trade and salary but we need to add some mature midfield talent next year. But I’m all in adding any of those mentioned Oliver, Bailey, McCrae etc.

Of the veterans only Danger has shown he can still compete at the level required and injury is harming him.
Duncan and Tuohy have to retire.
Guthrie is really struggling and I think he has to play down back.
Hardie they clearly don’t want to play, same with Parfitt.
We need some mature and preferably talented mids to support the younger mids as they develop.

Did the Eagles offer that at the same time as the Bombers deal? I thought the Eagles were keen pre draft but they wanted Curtain so when he was gone didn’t think they’d offer a FF. Surely there must’ve been something else going to the Eagles cause at that stage that pick could’ve easily been pick 1 and it’ll end up a top 3 pick.

I was sure it was Edwards but either way we may have taken Mannagh with that pick anyway as we were obviously very keen on him.

We’ve already got Edwards, Neale and Foster as project KPFs. If we can find a way to get a top end one then yes but otherwise we might just be looking for someone to be a target cause we’ve got plenty of other forward options.
There’s plenty of our veterans that are struggling this year but I wouldn’t be putting Rohan in there. He has had limited time on the ground this season but has impacted and had a crack each time which you can’t say for many others. He should play again next year and he’ll help post Hawkins.

Yes we need those other types you mention, need a ruck desperately.
I think Atkins and Guthrie need to play back due to our lack of small defenders and their issues in the middle.
Lawson should be in there regularly next year. We’ve really lacked accountability and hardness down back this year.

Willis, Clohesy and Stevens are all harder edged mids that might develop and I’d have Parfitt in the team atm but they’re not picking him and hard to see him there next year.

Yes wce were very keen as they rates caddy and hes very good mates with reid (which tells you they are worried about retaining reid)
The word from twomey was they offered the deal a couple of hours before the draft and again when we were on the clock (the bombers were worried we were going to trade the pick to wce which is why they traded up as i doubt we were picking caddy anyway).
Wces fr1 was definitely nvolved..no doubt there would have been other pick swaps in wces favour to balance it.
But i can see why we didnt take the deal as im not sure caddy and henry together works. COS was a better list fit.
Plus there are no standout talls in the top 10 this year so i can understand why we werent prepares to give up the tall last year.

The other vets i mentioned are cooked. Rohan is 50/50 as hes playing ok but hes a depth player (he might rather retire than be depth) and he isnt in a position of need so i wont be upset if hes punted.
Parfitt is gone theres no other way to see it really.
I agree cuthrie needs to play back both to preserve his body but fill that hole for us.
I think we need to target mids aggressively this year.
I rate lawson too he will play once his body is fully afl ready

"Was never going to leave Victoria" - wonder where that comment's come from given English is from Dunsborough, WA.

Its more that english has reportedly always liked melb lifestyle and not wanted to leave vic. Possible return to WA rumours were only about his partner but now that rudi isnt playing netball there but is with the vixens its logical he will leave for another vic club (if he leaves).

That said with this new rule about only 3 years of cap relief for a concussion retirement i would be careful what contract i offered him (he would be useful to us but only at the right price but then again the dogs will match unless its band 1).

Read an article today about Rowan Marshall might be looking at leaving come seasons end despite being contracted until 2027

Only thing that gives me no confidence is the article was on zero hanger
Which I find to be the most inaccurate news breaking/journalism going around

The boy from Portland is going nowhere.

I mentioned way back I hoped we drafted him.

Now that was a miss.

Lalor will rise and go top 5 is my prediction.

I have seen him play live. To be honest didn’t rate him. Didn’t see any elite traits. Maybe he had an off day but I wasn’t fussed with him. Did nothing to make me think he be a future top line afp player. Usually a top 5 pick stands out like dogs ball. He didn’t.
But that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I start thinking about it is with this question.

If Oliver was an UFA at the end of this year, considering his issues, body shape and the way he is playing.

Would we be offering his 1 mill x 6 years to try to snag him as a FA without having to give up draft picks?

Even at that starting point and giving up nothing but $$$... I'm not even sure.

Obviously an insane amount of research needs to be put into him.

I really don't know how bad it is behind closed doors with him and what his chances of getting back on track are.

Interesting times potentially ahead.

If he continues at his current form for the rest of the year... I'd find it hard to even take him for the $$$ only, without giving up anything.

There is plenty of risk.
There is potentially plenty of reward.

It could easily blow up and be the worst recruitment of all time.

Research, research, research.... and hope to get lucky if we get him.
Dees will have to give a pick like the bowes deal or pay half his contract like pies are for Grundy for us to be interested

Read an article today about Rowan Marshall might be looking at leaving come seasons end despite being contracted until 2027

Only thing that gives me no confidence is the article was on zero hanger
Which I find to be the most inaccurate news breaking/journalism going around

Do agree on Zero Hanger, but I’ve seen this reported elsewhere, or at least “he’s not happy at the Saints.”

Anyone heard this rumour?

View attachment 2030033

On his last two years form then trade away bit would still want some very good coming back. Since he hurt his face he has been allergic to physical contact. To the point that last week his brother was embarrassing him, looked every bit a younger brother being bullied by his older brother.
Hopefully he can get back to the form he had in 22 but the drop off has been concerning.
Almost zero chance geelong trade him unless he instigated it though, we just don’t do that.

The Midweek Tackle on Fox Footy ( a show with Herald Sun football reporters) is now saying that Collingwood has cooled on Bailey Smith, and Geelong is back as favorites to sign him for 2025 and beyond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back