Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt think we get access to a kid better than him after pick 10
I think that's the point most people seem to be overlooking. Observations from what I've heard and been told in the last few days are.....

• Stengle will be at Geelong
  • Smith agreed in principle to a Geelong move 2 years ago (reported today via Jay Clark)
  • Oliver won't be leaving Melbourne

I think that's the point most people seem to be overlooking. Observations from what I've heard and been told in the last few days are.....

• Smith agreed in principle to a Geelong move 2 years ago (reported today via Jay Clark)

✔️
✔️
😍😍😍😍😍✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️

Hope you're right. 2 bullets dodged in those dot points and a surprise in the middle

The Herald Sun reporting that Jack Henry about to sign a 4 year deal.

It mentions that our medicos think his foot shouldn't affect his footy playing career.

Anyone got the article?

Never understood why people are hesitant to trade first rounders for good (not necessarily great) players re:Smith, you are getting someone who is almost guaranteed best 22. He may not be the second coming of GAJ, but think about how many high(ish) picks we whiffed on from ~2012-2018

Never understood why people are hesitant to trade first rounders for good (not necessarily great) players re:Smith, you are getting someone who is almost guaranteed best 22. He may not be the second coming of GAJ, but think about how many high(ish) picks we whiffed on from ~2012-2018
Yeah but the kid that could be drafted doesn’t come with a bung knee or drug issues

Yeah but the kid that could be drafted doesn’t come with a bung knee or drug issues***

That you know of...

And we've seen before, players picked in the first round coming off ACL injuries or other knee related concerns - don't forget there's a guy who played 355 games in the hoops wearing the #14 where the was concerns over his longevity due to knee concerns

Battle is surely Hawks bound.

Mitchell apparently has had a number of phone calls with him.
Battle is said to be a Hawks nuufy.
Hawks would be offering him more $$$ than anyone else.

This can't be a bad thing for us regarding getting Smith.

It's only a small thing, maybe a 1 percenter... but I'm happy for Battle to eat up a good amount of free cap room the Hawks have.

I know I sound like a broken record but the best thing the club could do is get all the kids including SDK to bulk up in the pre season …I know it sounds like a simple solution but it would help all of their game with not being thrown around in the contest around the ground
Can we bring in a tackling coach while we are at it? So many slipped tackles I genuinely only think Danger, Stewart and Atkins know how to lay them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we bring in a tackling coach while we are at it? So many slipped tackles I genuinely only think Danger, Stewart and Atkins know how to lay them.

Wasn't it like a decade or so ago that we did some cross training over summer with the Melbourne Storm?

Maybe we could use something similar this coming summer

I don't disagree. Is there a comparable player traded in the last 2 -3 years and what did they go for?
I think the Crows got their current skipper from Sydney with the Dees F1 (plus some steak knife swaps) which ended up about pick 13ish... Not bad for Jordan Dawson.

It's impossible to think of a real comparable trade though... because after 2022 Smith was worth every bit of a top 5 pick IMO.

But in 2023 he was banished to a forward flank and didn't have as good of a season + the off-field issues arose.

I remember not being overly keen on trading our R1 for him last year, but still, I thought any pick that wasn't inside #10 for him was still probably ok... even though he had a down year and drug issues (slight warning signs).

Then he went and did his Knee.... so for mine, he takes another hit in value + you also get him a year later/older and OOC.

IMO anything in the teens is good (if we are happy with him).

Anything single figures, considering he has missed a year, had off-field issues and done a knee + wasn't at his best the year prior is paying too much and I'd be slightly disappointed if we flamed out this year, got a top 10 pick and straight swapped it for an OOC Smith.

In saying that... He could easily make that pick look like great value if he can return to his best.

Nothing is really comparable.

I think the Crows got their current skipper from Sydney with the Dees F1 (plus some steak knife swaps) which ended up about pick 13ish... Not bad for Jordan Dawson.

It's impossible to think of a real comparable trade though... because after 2022 Smith was worth every bit of a top 5 pick IMO.

But in 2023 he was banished to a forward flank and didn't have as good of a season + the off-field issues arose.

I remember not being overly keen on trading our R1 for him last year, but still, I thought any pick that wasn't inside #10 for him was still probably ok... even though he had a down year and drug issues (slight warning signs).

Then he went and did his Knee.... so for mine, he takes another hit in value + you also get him a year later/older and OOC.

IMO anything in the teens is good (if we are happy with him).

Anything single figures, considering he has missed a year, had off-field issues and done a knee + wasn't at his best the year prior is paying too much and I'd be slightly disappointed if we flamed out this year, got a top 10 pick and straight swapped it for an OOC Smith.

In saying that... He could easily make that pick look like great value if he can return to his best.

Nothing is really comparable.
On research the Swans ended up with pick 18 in 2022 draft (for Dawson) which they dealt to the Hawks (who selected Weddle) for other picks (27 in in 2022 and a 2023 second and third)
From that I would say anything under pick 18 is over paying.

Interesting that Saints supporters are saying that it is us that is "unsettling" Rowan Marshall. That is one rumour I could get behind.

In 2022 he was looking like he'd be anything. Now he is looking optimistically at a Lonergan level peak. If we don't sort out the around to ball stuff then his 1 on 1 with a KPF won't matter much. We need our next gen KPD group to have someone who can intercept and do something good with the ball.

With an early pick it doesn't have to be Finn O'Sullivan, pick what ever name you find better

If someone was prepare to throw overs at him I'd jump, even better if we preserve our first rounders for a double dip.

Something like trade out SDK for a top pick, Stengle goes via fee agency (hope and pray for band one) .
Suddenly we have three early picks in an even midfield draft. Go down for one year keep our 1st rounder and then we have our midfield core for the next 7-8 years
He has already had a higher peak than Lonergan.

It makes no sense to trade him unless he explicitly wants out.

He is one of the more overrated players I can think of going around.

Absolutley has had some big moments/games... but just a solid role player IMO.
You call him a solid role player like it is a bad thing.

Most successful lists are built on a few stars and a whole bunch of solid role players. Every club needs them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back