Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

The problem though is that Olver is on close to double that number
No he's not. And not our problem.
We can speculate all we want. But IF this happens I think we'll pay the full contract and there will be no 2 first round pics involved.

Pick 60ish. Thats it.

Better make sure we pay Humphries first though!

Nominee entity (let's say club benefactor) buys property and leases it back to said player (at a market rate) for the period of their contract. Player retires and property is transferred from that entity to the players name.

It's been happening for years with property and business purchases that end up being held by the player. It's legal and completely falls outside the cap.
You absolutely cannot do that.
Do you know anything about law? Sorry, I shouldn't have asked that question.

It's 'gifting'. Taxes will be paid by both sides.
And will be found in no time.

100k is splitting hairs. My point being if Oliver is keen to come to us he should be looking at it in the context of it being a life changing pivot. Depends on his character and self belief. Couldn’t blame him for punching in at 1m+ for the next six though.
Splitting hairs? With $100k we could go to the draft + recruit another Humphries, who could ultimately be as good as 27yo Oliver was, except offer Geelong 15 years.

Yes, it depends upon his character + if he can change. Still, he has to earn that salary + I think part of it is accepting a lower salary with the potential of the $1m. Would love him to have a happy + successful career at Geelong 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

+ Melbourne has to suck it up, if they’re determined to get rid of him. Who knows the full story? Both could have caused the situation. Oliver isn’t the only discontented player there, who’s had off field problems.

Tom Morris saying future first would get Oliver.
I'd do that any day of the week. He's exactly what we need in our midfield. If this deal can be done, and I hope it is, then it would make us real contenders for the flag.

Melbourne are going to want a lot for him though. They won't just hand him over on the cheap. The are a poorly run club who can't face facts. Still in complete denial that they have a toxic culture, led by Goodwin, who, if the rumours are true, sinks piss with the players and gambles just as much as some of their worst.

No wonder Petracca wants out. And Oliver will be so much better for being out of that mess of a club.

You absolutely cannot do that.
Do you know anything about law? Sorry, I shouldn't have asked that question.

It's 'gifting'. Taxes will be paid by both sides.
And will be found in no time.
Never anywhere did I mention the law. But I'm happy to go down that rabbit hole if you want. And I never suggested there were any implications with tax evasion. Read my post.

As for it being "found". People can find it if they go looking - but if the player is no longer contracted at the time when they receive the financial benefit of the asset transfer - then it's of no consequence.

I'm not saying it's widespread - but it happens.

Never anywhere did I mention the law. But I'm happy to go down that rabbit hole if you want. And I never suggested there were any implications with tax evasion. Read my post.

As for it being "found". People can find it if they go looking - but if the player is no longer contracted at the time when they receive the financial benefit of the asset transfer - then it's of no consequence.

I'm not saying it's widespread - but it happens.

Don't think the ATO would see it that way.

All they have to do is say the property was given in lieu of wages and it'd be taxed (value of the asset) in their name. Whether the player has left the business or not is irrelevant.

The transferor would also be up for CGT and stamps upon transfer.

Those Pick/s. That could be the KEY.
Especially if it covers a certain Bailey Smith's/Dogs demands in one way... or another.
Isn’t Smith in a ‘slightly’ similar situation with Bulldogs as Oliver is with Dees?

Emphasis on ‘slightly’, in that both clubs are fed up with them + both players wish to leave?

The main difference being MFC is in an atrocious predicament at all levels.

Stynes + my father are rolling in their graves.

Nominee entity (let's say club benefactor) buys property and leases it back to said player (at a market rate) for the period of their contract. Player retires and property is transferred from that entity to the players name.

It's been happening for years with property and business purchases that end up being held by the player. It's legal and completely falls outside the cap.

You can’t just ‘transfer’ properties between names.

I know and understand that these contracts give the players a lot of leverage so it is up to CO in the end, but here is a hypothetical...could a trigger clause or something similar be negotiated with CO for say three years in the future; based on behavior or performance? It could either the club or CO that activates it, just something that gets the deal over the line or adds motivation. Would it run afoul of labor agreements?
Why would Oliver agree to this though? I have no idea where he'll be playing next year (or 3 in years' time), or who'll be paying his contract, but one thing I'd be pretty confident on is that he'll be getting paid his full whack.

We might be able to get away with paying less if Melbourne are picking up the tab, but I don't begrudge him taking all the money he's owed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is that Melbourne says one thing publicly and another privately. Melb told Clayton Oliver to look around even though they denied it in their public statements. If Melb wants to offload Oliver and his huge contract to another club, then they'll probably have to take a hit on the pick they get back, IMO. They may even have to pay a portion of Oliver's contract, which is a million a year for the next six years. So they may not get a first-round pick out of this.

Don't think the ATO would see it that way.

All they have to do is say the property was given in lieu of wages and it'd be taxed (value of the asset) in their name. Whether the player has left the business or not is irrelevant.

The transferor would also be up for CGT and stamps upon transfer.
Easily managed in respect of tax laws and property transfer requirements. My above points were more specifically pointed towards the AFL salary cap rules (rules as distinct from laws).

The more I think about it, the Oliver thing is no chance. Can't see Dee's paying $300 - $400k and we won't take the full contract.

It's not how we operate. It never has been. If he only had 2-3 years left on the deal, different story.

It sounds like the Dee's have pushed this and it's just sending him another message that he's on thin ice and needs to change his ways and be better.

All the media are more or less reporting Clayton does not actually want to leave, but has been made to feel uncomfortable and unwanted and that we're 'pitching for his services.'

I'm not sure I'd want a player with his history, current contract and no real desire to leave his club coming here.

I think this thing will be dead in the water before trade week. Just my opinion.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Do they pay 1mil and keep him or 300k to offload him?

Quite the conundrum

The problem is that Melbourne says one thing publicly and another privately. Melb told Clayton Oliver to look around even though they denied it in their public statements. If Melb wants to offload Oliver and his huge contract to another club, then they'll probably have to take a hit on the pick they get back, IMO. They may even have to pay a portion of Oliver's contract, which is a million a year for the next six years. So they may not get a first-round pick out of this.

There’s a pendulum. The more that we pay of his contract the less that MFC can command in a trade. And vice versa.

This all feels very Jack Steven. Saints fans were excited about getting a first rounder. In the end he moved for pick 58 with Stkilda paying most of his salary.

It's also a warning about the likelihood of success here.

This has blown up again in the last few days when Oliver learnt he was being shopped around. He has always wanted to stay but feels blindsided by Melbourne. He had met with us earlier this year and we are his clear preference if he is to leave. Which looks increasingly likely with what’s transpired.
Oliver might prefer to remain at Dees, yet the club is selling him, offloading him. Seems clear, the writing is in big, flashing, neon lights.

Also, if Geelong previously spoke to Oliver, are there mixed messages? Did Oliver dislike Geelong? Was salary cut too much?

If you’re not wanted, it’s time to seek a new adventure. Make the most of an opportunity with the mighty Cats.

Either way, as I keep saying, MFC to absorb $$$ + Geelong to increase Oliver’s salary on performance, accordingly. Could work out well for Oliver.

Great, now we’re going to have lurker fans quoting how we are bragging about giving players houses when they retire.
Just in time for the pub jokes to be getting old
For a start - who cares.

Secondly, this is not a problem of Geelong's making. Couple of Melbourne and Sydney based clubs will have far more heat on them if people decided to investigate it.

This all feels very Jack Steven. Saints fans were excited about getting a first rounder. In the end he moved for pick 58 with Stkilda paying most of his salary.

It's also a warning about the likelihood of success here.
Maybe , maybe not .

Every case is different..

Stevens did run from he's car so the cops wouldn't breath test him.
He skippy the scene..

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back