Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Disagree. They are all below average kicks besides Stew and Clark too early to say imo.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Stewart is a good kick - he can be absolutely shocking at times

if i had to guess someone with those criteria, I say Jack Steele is closet and most gettable. but is he still A grade??

He's more conditioned than Sean Darcy. He also performed well in the running in preseason:

"Meanwhile, basketballer turned Category B rookie ruckman Joe Furphy, who joined the club in September, highlighted his strong running capacity in a running drill, finishing ahead of a group of talls."

Ive watched him in the vfl. Either they were gilding the lilly PR wise or the time out with injury has set him back as he is regularly gassed.

Also a retired 40 year old is better conditioned for endurance than darcy.

Bloody oath... Honestly I wonder if there is any chance at all we can get him?

The chances this year would be close to zero.

Next year is a different story.

I am fairly close with someone who works with the list manager team at St Kilda. They threw an insane amount of money at DeGoey when there was doubt on his future and are doing the same with LDU. I can't see how LDU would choose Geelong as the difference wpuld be huge

The same reason De Goey didn’t sign there despite the insane amount of money?

I wouldn't necessarily say that Stewart is a good kick - he can be absolutely shocking at times
I think Stewart has an above average kick, not quite elite, but its enhanced by his elite decision making, elite reading of the play and his reaction times in the contest. Its why Stewart has an excellent disposal efficiency. Its different to Duncan, who is a genuinely elite kick.

Being Sydney based, I've got a few GWS connections.

Have heard that Callaghan is gettable this year, but it would take a bounty to pull it off I reckon, more than Smith would cost.

Haven't heard any clubs mentioned yet, just that the Giants would consider doing it.

Found it weird though given he signed last year, but who knows.

Maybe it's him? Although he's not a superstar, he's certainly got the talent to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am fairly close with someone who works with the list manager team at St Kilda. They threw an insane amount of money at DeGoey when there was doubt on his future and are doing the same with LDU. I can't see how LDU would choose Geelong as the difference wpuld be huge
In fairness, nobody signs at Geelong for the money.

If they're not coming on our terms then don't worry about it, leave the ridiculous club killing money to the loser clubs.

We know our method works.

Being Sydney based, I've got a few GWS connections.

Have heard that Callaghan is gettable this year, but it would take a bounty to pull it off I reckon, more than Smith would cost.

Haven't heard any clubs mentioned yet, just that the Giants would consider doing it.

Found it weird though given he signed last year, but who knows.

Maybe it's him? Although he's not a superstar, he's certainly got the talent to do it.

I just read this on the Carlton board... Not sure if I buy it.

The kid is a jett and would be worth chucking a big offer at (every club would have a dip if he was available to snag).

I'd have him ahead of any of our young mids.

He was a pick #3 and is tracking very nicely... It makes zero sense for GWS to move him on for anything less than 2x first-rounders and even then I'd wanna keep him.

I just read this on the Carlton board... Not sure if I buy it.

The kid is a jett and would be worth chucking a big offer at.

I'd have him ahead of any of our young mids.

He was a top 5 pick and is tracking nicely... It makes zero sense for GWS to move him on for anything less than 2x first-rounders.
I mentioned him earlier in the year, but said it was a pipedream. It probably still is.

The thing with the Giants is it's just not their way. They might overpay a couple, but it's a revolving door for them and so far it's working.

Bring in first round pick, develop him for a bit, and then trade him out for a first round pick if he wants too much money/wants to go home.

It's the same with Perryman right now. Was told a few weeks back that he's heavily considering the Hawthorn offer, as the Giants just won't pay what opposition clubs will.

Wants to stay, but the money gets enticing when clubs are prepared to heavily overpay.

Point being, they're not the Suns who have to put 21 year olds on 800k just to keep them there.

They're a smart club, not dissimilar to ours in their approach.

I mentioned him earlier in the year, but said it was a pipedream. It probably still is.

The thing with the Giants is it's just not their way. They might overpay a couple, but it's a revolving door for them and so far it's working.

Bring in first round pick, develop him for a bit, and then trade him out for a first round pick if he wants too much money/wants to go home.

It's the same with Perryman right now. Was told a few weeks back that he's heavily considering the Hawthorn offer, as the Giants just won't pay what opposition clubs will.

Wants to stay, but the money gets enticing when clubs are prepared to heavily overpay.

Point being, they're not the Suns who have to put 21 year olds on 800k just to keep them there.

They're a smart club, not dissimilar to ours in their approach.
Totally agree... Is Callaghan contracted though (I thought he was)?

In fairness, nobody signs at Geelong for the money.

If they're not coming on our terms then don't worry about it, leave the ridiculous club killing money to the loser clubs.

We know our method works.
Yeah, I was told that St Kilda has a lot of money to spend but are very very frustrated that no one wants to go there even for a few hundred thousand a year extra.

I was also told they are very very happy with Lyon but just frustrated they can't get the list/players in he needs.

Geelong combats it with a lower cost of living with housing.

Totally agree... Is Callaghan contracted though (I thought he was)?

If he's leaving anyway, the idea would be trade him now rather than risk a year where he's checked out and you end up with less as a result

Anyway, doubt it happens, and doubt even more so that he'd end up here...but just passing on something I've heard.

Went to school up here with a mate who's brother works there, so you get the odd whisper sometimes.

I'd go hard at Callaghan next year when he comes out of contract. Good player and perfect age bracket for our group. Wouldn't come cheap though. I can't imagine GWS would give him up this year with him contracted.

If we are getting Smith this year we cannot afford Callaghan until next year as GWS will want 2 firsts for him at a minimum
If we're getting Smith this whole "other star mystery mid" discussion is arbitrary because they'd all cost too much.

We trust our posters here in good faith, but if it's true we can't shutdown any name just for 'cost reasons.'

Stars don't come cheap. The only one who would is Oliver and he doesn't fit the criteria.

Yeah, I was told that St Kilda has a lot of money to spend but are very very frustrated that no one wants to go there even for a few hundred thousand a year extra.

I was also told they are very very happy with Lyon but just frustrated they can't get the list/players in he needs.

Geelong combats it with a lower cost of living with housing.

Didn't they throw stupid money at Stengle, including a an extra year or two on the contract and he still declined them to re-sign

It sounds a similar situation to what North found themselves in a few years ago when they decided to cull the experience from their list, build something of a "war chest" and chase some big name targets but they then got turned down

There's no doubting that money is a factor in players decisions, but sometimes you need more then that as culture can be a bigger factor in those decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back