Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

If Nash is part of our starting midfield then we don't have a top 8 midfield.
I disagree, but the point is we'd bat deep.

Change it to PFD, Smith, & Bruhn if you'd like, with support from Holmes, Nash, Bowes, Atkins, Stewart, & Clark, with Dempsey on the wing with another pre-season.

If they're all healthy and available, that's better than anything we've had in years.

We can't bet on C Guthrie to do anything of note into the future, and as good as PFD still is when healthy, we can't count on him being available these days either.

I still reckon he stays, but Nash would be worth our time, especially when he's not going to cost anything draft wise.

Wouldn't waste too much time debating the pros and cons of Bailey Smith. The bloke walks straight into our current team and anyone who says he doesn't either hasn't watched him play, or is into some real good quality whacky tobaccy.

We'll wave our first round pick at the Bulldogs and I would not be surprised if a future pick or a player is involved. It all comes down to filling a need on our list with his age and proven skill set. And don't forget that a football club is like any other business - it's a commercial operation and needs to make money. The bloke will bring members in, the club will smash out the merch sales, and he'll get bums on seats. Go and talk to any 16-20 year old girl with low levels of interest in footy - then mention Bailey Smith.

He fills a need - bit of class (and dash) around the footy. Is he at the top of every clubs shopping list - NO. Is he at the top of our shopping list - YES. He'll break the lines if he's got good players around him and he's perfect on the bigger grounds, as well as the games at GMHBA where I can see him and Holmes being pivotal to the way we play. He is a very driven young man - don't get distracted by all the stuff outside of footy. He knows he'll thrive in our environment and he knows Chris Scott will get the best out of him.

List management is an artform that determines success or failure as a club. We are one of the best in the business - and if Geelong see Bailey Smith as a required player worthy of a first round pick - then that's good enough for me.

Just bringing in Smith alone makes the midfield much better. Smith and Holmes bring that explosiveness with Danger pinch hitting. Then LDU end of next year 🤷‍♂️
Honestly think Butters is a better chance than LDU, although either would be unreal.

He seems like a pretty loyal guy, and loves Clarko by all reports (grew up a Hawthorn supporter).

Butters is like an adopted son to Ken. If Hinkley goes, we're a chance at some point down the line.

If Hinkley stays, he'll stay.

Versatility and a point of difference. He is 198cm. Maybe they see him as a 2nd ruck or covering as a key back. Maybe a blicavs replacement. CS loves versatile players.

I'm personally a big fan of smith. I think he will surprise a few on here.

i actually forgot nash is a FA, no trade capital so it may be a smart pickup depend on price cause he 100% covers area of need.

From somebody who spoke to Bevo post game.

Bailey Smith will definitely nominate Geelong. Geelong are old and slow in the midfield and are desperate for ready made replacements. We will drive a very hard bargain and bleed them for everything we can get.
1 of 2 things is happening here:

1. The person you spoke to is making it up

OR

2. Bevo is as clueless as I suspected

Our issue is really top end talent in midfield. We've got plenty of ok players who would probably look good as 4th-5th banana in a team with 3 guns and a decent ruck. Smith could be a genuinely elite mid. Nash won't move that needle.
A rising tide lifts all boats too. The rest of our players will look quicker with a guy that will beat oppo on the spread

Honestly think Butters is a better chance than LDU, although either would be unreal.

He seems like a pretty loyal guy, and loves Clarko by all reports (grew up a Hawthorn supporter).

Butters is like an adopted son to Ken. If Hinkley goes, we're a chance at some point down the line.

If Hinkley stays, he'll stay.
Hinkley ain't staying but I'd be surprised if butters was going

Is Tim English gettable?

Happy to say I’m not a draft nufty but if we use this years first rounder on one of Smith or English, can we use a future first on the other?

We’d be going from one extreme to the other with our ruck stocks but English and Conway in tandem with SDK going back to defence gets me a little excited in the groinal region. Add Bailey Smith and it’s got me thinking about heading somewhere quiet for some personal time.

It has a very Geelong look to it …… going “all in” and staying in contention to win flags. It’s how we roll.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think we'll want some late picks back as we will likely have a lot of list spots to fill. Stanley, Bews, Hawkins and Duncan could all retire. Parfitt, Tuohy, and Rohan are also out of contract, and Willis, Hardie, Murdoch, and Foster's days seem numbered. I expect a big turnover and we won't be able to fill all of those spots with free agents and rookies.

A couple of those guys will go 1 more year (for example rohan could go one more as vfl type backup). I reckon we have 6 or 7 off the senior list and 3 rookies (hardie jeka murdoch).

Trade ins will be smith and hopefully another FA (maybe nash) plus a cheap ruck.
Leaves you say 4 senior spots to fill which can be r2+r3 plus a couple of backend picks (like we did with humphries and wiltshire last year).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Tim English gettable?

Happy to say I’m not a draft nufty but if we use this years first rounder on one of Smith or English, can we use a future first on the other?

We’d be going from one extreme to the other with our ruck stocks but English and Conway in tandem with SDK going back to defence gets me a little excited in the groinal region. Add Bailey Smith and it’s got me thinking about heading somewhere quiet for some personal time.

It has a very Geelong look to it …… going “all in” and staying in contention to win flags. It’s how we roll.

English is an FA theres no trade there its offer him enough $ to get them band 1 compo and they wont match.
Hed not be my preferred ruck but we do need one so id consider it.

Smith is a straight trade for our r1 (pick 13-16ish) plus maybe a later pick.

Our issue is really top end talent in midfield. We've got plenty of ok players who would probably look good as 4th-5th banana in a team with 3 guns and a decent ruck. Smith could be a genuinely elite mid. Nash won't move that needle.

He wont but nash is durable and adds utility value including the tall mid/relief ruck role. With blitz winding down id take him if the $ are ok. I agree we need top end mids though.

Atkins is so disrespected around here it's a joke. 6th in the B&F in a premiership year then runner up last year. The guy is one of the truly elite defensive mids in the comp.

Nash is a decent 4th banana attacking mid behind Worpel, Day and Newcombe but struggled badly early in the year without Day there.

I'm happy to get Nash if he doesn't cost a huge wage. He'll provide depth in an area of weakness and maybe we have other roles in mind (backup ruck?). But Atkins is clearly a better player at the moment.

Yes but they play different roles.
Atkins is the clearance attacking bridge for 2-3 years until clark et al are more ready.
Whereas nash would be to take over as a defensive mid who can pinch hit ruck (ie to replace blitz).

We'd be negligent if we haven't inquired about Engligh with his management.

That said, he will likely get bigger offers elsewhere. Like a lot of players over the years, he would have to take a bit less here and I'm not sure he'd be willing to do that.

Does he like the surfcoast / country lifestyle? Who knows.

Isn't English a free agent
Well he is, albeit restricted. This hasn't helped us in the past having traded for Danger and Cameron (both RFA and totally worth it of course). From memory, the Eagles never matched Scooter, though..

I would of thought if our offer is big enough to trigger band one compo, the Dogs would likely take that rather than match and force a trade IMO. I'm not sure if our offer would be enough to trigger band one?

I must admit, seeing English destroy us around the ground on the weekend, it made me think how much I am over not having such a dominant and influential ruck who can have a real physical presence around the ground.

We'd be negligent if we haven't inquired about Engligh with his management.

That said, he will likely get bigger offers elsewhere. Like a lot of players over the years, he would have to take a bit less here and I'm not sure he'd be willing to do that.

Does he like the surfcoast / country lifestyle? Who knows.

Well he’s not going to Freo with their ruck set up if he’s heading home to WA. And if he thinks WCE with no coach and a crappy list is the answer, then he’s not a smart lad.

Unless he’s off to Freo and Darcy is coming home.

Well he’s not going to Freo with their ruck set up if he’s heading home to WA. And if he thinks WCE with no coach and a crappy list is the answer, then he’s not a smart lad.

Agreed. I'm not sure if he is even that desperate to get back to WA. He may well be happy to stay in VIC, or go to another state for a bigger contract.

I'd be shocked if we haven't made an inquiry. Especially given recent Conway news.

Just popping in here, I see this has been mentioned in the review thread but I'll keep out of that for obvious reasons. Macrae has lost his pace and a lot slower than what he used to be, he's able to come on in spots but through the season his TOG had dropped to an average of 50-60% when playing. He's not the answer, you want another break the lines player with an edge about them. Ed Richards has all but sewn up Macrae's spot in the starting 22.

Daniel is another example of a player who has slowed down considerably and doesnt have a spot

I think the Cats would be better off taking a chance on B Smith, he can play, he can run and with the right coach for his personality he can be a very damaging player
Old and slow? Sounds perfect!

So you don't think Bevo would talk up his club pushing for the best deal possible, just like Geelong did last year with Ratagolea
I don’t think Bevo would say to anyone that smith is definitely out the door, definitely going to Geelong and that they are going to try and screw us on price.

No competent coach in their right mind would say that.

And if he did say that he is as clueless as I suspected.

Freo is as close to a carbon copy of Jackson as exists in the league.

He would be redundant at freo even if Darcy left.

Freo are too smart to pay big money and draft capital for a redundant player.

I don’t think Bevo would say to anyone that smith is definitely out the door, definitely going to Geelong and that they are going to try and screw us on price.

No competent coach in their right mind would say that.

And if he did say that he is as clueless as I suspected.
Bevo's already admitted on live TV that he reckons Smith is gone.

Call it honesty or stupidity, maybe it's both...but he's certainly the type who'd be dumb enough to say what Two Planks reckons he said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back