Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Bit of connecting the dots on my part, but wouldn't surprise me at all if we've got a Suns midfielder lined up.

King being an ex-coach there would know who's worth our time, and I can't get the image of Mackie sitting next to Scott in Darwin out of my head either.

Contract staus and opportunity says it's Davies, but it could be someone else too.

Bit of connecting the dots on my part, but wouldn't surprise me at all if we've got a Suns midfielder lined up.

King being an ex-coach there would know who's worth our time, and I can't get the image of Mackie sitting next to Scott in Darwin out of my head either.

Contract staus and opportunity says it's Davies, but it could be someone else too.

Heart wants Humphrey
Head says Davies

$900k for English is overs. He is just a slightly better version of Stanley circa 3 years ago. I would love to get him, but not at that price.
He will get a band 1 offer in that range though look at mckay last year.

$900k for English is overs. He is just a slightly better version of Stanley circa 3 years ago. I would love to get him, but not at that price.

Not saying he is or isn’t worth that but people need to stop thinking about future salaries in current or past days terms. Clubs salary caps are rising over 20% in the next few years so of course players are going to be paid more now. So that “900k” for English would be 720k in the current cap which is much more reasonable

Not saying he is or isn’t worth that but people need to stop thinking about future salaries in current or past days terms. Clubs salary caps are rising over 20% in the next few years so of course players are going to be paid more now. So that “900k” for English would be 720k in the current cap which is much more reasonable
Exactly. Josh Battle rumoured $900k? Please, if English isn't worth more than Josh Battle....

I know he has some faults but we are talking about an All Australian Ruckman! There's only a couple of them in AFL. Everyone was poo pooing Grundy last year and this year he has shown why AA Ruckman are a solid prospect (and English is still having a solid year this year).

Doggies supporters seem a bit privileged with their criticism of English. We have shown for many years that it isn't easy to find a consistently competitive ruckman. They've been gifted Darcy so probably aren't as worried but don't take Bulldogs apathy towards English to mean he isn't a worthy prospect.

Exactly. Josh Battle rumoured $900k? Please, if English isn't worth more than Josh Battle....

I know he has some faults but we are talking about an All Australian Ruckman! There's only a couple of them in AFL. Everyone was poo pooing Grundy last year and this year he has shown why AA Ruckman are a solid prospect (and English is still having a solid year this year).

Doggies supporters seem a bit privileged with their criticism of English. We have shown for many years that it isn't easy to find a consistently competitive ruckman. They've been gifted Darcy so probably aren't as worried but don't take Bulldogs apathy towards English to mean he isn't a worthy prospect.
Darcy doesn’t seem like a ruckman to me. He moves too well up forward, and I don’t know if he has the physicality to be a full time ruckman.

He reminds me a lot of Paul salmon at the start of his career - a much better forward and a pinch hitter in the ruck. He might become a full time ruck in the second half of his career when he gets stronger, but that could take a while.

It took salmon until the latter part of his career ( the hawthorn years) for him to become a dependable ruckman.

Come to think of it, you could also compare his trajectory to Ottens. He was always more of a forward until we had a dire need for a ruckman (and to be fair he was flaming out up forward for the cats at the time so he needed a change of scenery).

My point being that if the dogs think they don’t need English because they have Darcy, then they are making a mistake.

Darcy doesn’t seem like a ruckman to me. He moves too well up forward, and I don’t know if he has the physicality to be a full time ruckman.

He reminds me a lot of Paul salmon at the start of his career - a much better forward and a pinch hitter in the ruck. He might become a full time ruck in the second half of his career when he gets stronger, but that could take a while.

It took salmon until the latter part of his career ( the hawthorn years) for him to become a dependable ruckman.

Come to think of it, you could also compare his trajectory to Ottens. He was always more of a forward until we had a dire need for a ruckman (and to be fair he was flaming out up forward for the cats at the time so he needed a change of scenery).

My point being that if the dogs think they don’t need English because they have Darcy, then they are making a mistake.
For this reason l doubt they were ever going to let Rory go

Simon Madden might have had a bit to do with that (Salmon at FF).

I believe Sam Darcy will be the best player in the game, as a ruck.

English this year is statistically better than Stanley was in 2022 and by a pretty big margin. Not sure I would spend $900k on him but he is a lot better than Stanley and he turns 27 in a month.

For this reason l doubt they were ever going to let Rory go

No one will want rory at his age on his contract whereas clubs will want english. Big difference

Since he's been discussed here a bit over recent months -

‘CLEARLY UP FOR GRABS': GROWING ‘TENSION’ OVER $7M EXIT

There is “frustration and tension building” between Melbourne and out-of-form superstar Clayton Oliver, with Adelaide the clear contender to land his services should the premiership midfielder leave.

That's according to Footy Classified presenter Sam McClure, who said the Crows’ first-round pick was on offer this trade period as the club seeks to add talent to a list which is heading towards a disappointing bottom-five finish.

Oliver did not enjoy a full pre-season due to his off-field issues, with the Demons briefly considering whether to trade him away late last year. And while he has shown flashes of his Brownlow-level best, his decline in the opening year of a $7 million contract has sparked concern.

“I think he’s clearly up for grabs. If he’s going to leave Melbourne, which is an if at this stage, it will be to the Adelaide Crows,” McClure said on Nine.

“This is a complicated one. Adelaide have made it very clear to the rest of the competition that their first pick is up for grabs - that’s not saying it’ll absolutely be for Clayton Oliver.

“As we sit here tonight, I don’t Melbourne are over the hump with saying they absolutely want to let go of Clayton Oliver.

“There’s frustration and tension building between the two parties, Clayton Oliver is frustrated about lately starting on the bench, this new role that he’s been given, he doesn’t think he’s being utilised the best way he can be. He’s on six years at more than $1.1 million (a season).

He added: “I think there’ll be a conversation with all parties at the end of the year ... but if he’s going to go to the Crows, the Crows aren’t paying all of that money.

“So it’ll be hard to sell to Melbourne members and people that we are trading Clayton Oliver oh and by the way, for the remainder of that deal we're paying a fair chunk of it.”

For the Crows’ part, CEO Tim Silvers wouldn’t be drawn on the club’s specific interest in Oliver when speaking on 3AW last Friday night.

However he declared: “We’re all about making our list better.

“I don’t want to comment on any players but we need to improve our list. We’re looking at different potentials at the moment.”

This would be such a NBA style move, very risky for the buying club. Melbourne would be pretty close to a rebuild, if they got decent value for him, it wouldn't be the worst.

I'd hope we steer clear, clearly plenty of gross value, it the net value that is more important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we have space for a Davies
We'll be struggling to hit the cap floor over the next couple years, we have more than enough and he'll be on chump change.

If you mean on the field, he's a midfielder...

We barely have a unit as it is, and will be losing depth guys like Parfitt & Hardie, to go with PFD's annual injury issues.

He'd undoubtedly find a spot at some point, even if not immediately.

“He’s played 11 games over the last two years … how is he going to come in? Is Essendon a great fit for him at the moment? I don’t think it is,” Herald Sun journalist Jay Clark said on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“Caldwell has gone through the roof, Sam Durham (has) become an A-grade midfielder himself, Hobbs still to come in, Parish, Merrett – I don’t think they need Tsatas anymore.”

“That’s a huge story for me - a number five draft pick, it was him or (Mattaes) Phillipou at the draft … to punt him after two, three years I think that would be a massive decision,” fellow Herald Sun journalist Sam Landsberger added.

Source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fe...s/news-story/fe6f988a5b6275db7dbe47feb08c7d57

Davies is exactly what we need.

We'll be struggling to hit the cap floor over the next couple years, we have more than enough and he'll be on chump change.

If you mean on the field, he's a midfielder...

We barely have a unit as it is, and will be losing depth guys like Parfitt & Hardie, to go with PFD's annual injury issues.

He'd undoubtedly find a spot at some point, even if not immediately.

We need quality not depth, we've got guys just as good as him running around each week in the VFL, no need to pay an extra 150k a year to add another one.

I wouldn't want to target anyone who isn't a clear best 22 straight away.

His kicking is terminal, like unbelievably bad.

If he was cheap, and we strapped him to a kicking coach all off-season you could potentially make it work, but my Essendon mates see him as Paddy Dow Mk II.

I doubt we're interested.

I was surprised he got another shot, I don't think I've even seen a player with lower acceleration to escape from the contest, I don't even think GHS was that bad.

We need quality not depth, we've got guys just as good as him running around each week in the VFL, no need to pay an extra 150k a year to add another one.

I wouldn't want to target anyone who isn't a clear best 22 straight away.
Agree.

Why would we be after Davies. To replace Hardie in the VFL?

Does not improve our list.

I was surprised he got another shot, I don't think I've even seen a player with lower acceleration to escape from the contest, I don't even think GHS was that bad.
SOS doing exactly what he did with the Giants boys is why.

Stubbornly trying to prove that he didn't actually get the pick wrong and doubling down, only to prove what everyone thought all along.

I'd be looking at Jones and Cox from Essendon before Tsatas. They're both still uncontracted and we could probably get either of them without touching our first rounders so they're relatively low risk and potentially very high reward.

Even if they think Tsatas is now a bust there's no way Essendon will trade him for less than a first rounder. It would look too embarrassing for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back