Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Similar to knevitt. Can’t spread, a bit timid, no real standout AFL quality. Both busts
I'd love to see how many of your posts over the last 3 years have been Knevitt bashing.

He was a pick in the mid twenties. Whether he makes it or not is not going to determine our future, it's not something to get so worked up about.

We got Dempsey from the same draft anyway. Swap their draft positions if it makes you feel better.

We need quality not depth, we've got guys just as good as him running around each week in the VFL, no need to pay an extra 150k a year to add another one.

I wouldn't want to target anyone who isn't a clear best 22 straight away.

I think davies would be clear best 22 straight away for us.

It's not that simple though.

Anderson, Miller, Rowell, & Flanders is a fair quartet to be stuck behind.

Slot any of those 4 into our side and we'd go a long way to fixing our issues.

If he can't beat them there, we'd be counting on him beating them here. At least with Bruhn they were feeding him games and he was two years younger.

It's not that simple though.

Anderson, Miller, Rowell, & Flanders is a fair quartet to be stuck behind.

Slot any of those 4 into our side and we'd go a long way to fixing our issues.

How much better are those guys in midfield than Danger or Stewart?

My guess is if we had a decent ruck (maybe SDK can be that?) then a midfield of Danger, Stewart, Atkins, Bruhn and Holmes isn't that far behind it and Davies would just be another guy in the Parfitt, Clohesy, Clark, Bowes group who have obvious flaws and inconsistency they need to improve on. And he's way older and more developed than Clark or Clohesy.

My guess is if we had a decent ruck (maybe SDK can be that?) then a midfield of Danger, Stewart, Atkins, Bruhn and Holmes isn't that far behind it and Davies would just be another guy in the Parfitt, Clohesy, Clark, Bowes group who have obvious flaws and inconsistency they need to improve on. And he's way older and more developed than Clark or Clohesy.
One of those guys is 35 next year and playing half a season these days, the other is a 31 year old defender who in a perfect world would actually be playing there.

I can't agree with PO that he's automatic best 22, but he'd get his shot eventually was my point.

Even with a charmed injury run, we've had Parfitt, MOC, Mullin, and 5x AA defender Tom Stewart take CBA this year.

We're not exactly sitting with an embarrassment of riches, particularly if the club want to persist with Holmes in defence, or shift Bowes back there full time if Duncan and/or Tuohy retire/drop off a cliff.

Yeah I just can't picture who else.

Unless it's a KP player?

Lukosius?

Charlie Ballard - recruit a KPD option to continue developing SDK as a ruck option?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of those guys is 35 next year and playing half a season these days, the other is a 31 year old defender who in a perfect world would actually be playing there.

I can't agree with PO that he's automatic best 22, but he'd get his shot eventually was my point.

Even with a charmed injury run, we've had Parfitt, MOC, Mullin, and 5x AA defender Tom Stewart take CBA this year.

We're not exactly sitting with an embarrassment of riches, particularly if the club want to persist with Holmes in defence, or shift Bowes back there full time if Duncan and/or Tuohy retire/drop off a cliff.

The point isn't about their age it's the idea that getting a game at Gold Coast is massively harder than here. It isn't.

We don't have an embarrassment of riches in midfield. But we've got plenty of borderline AFL mids. We don't need more. We need guys who can become A-graders and mids not getting a game at other clubs don't miraculously become A-graders.

Last edited:

I hate to break it to you, but those midfield groups are night and day.

Our 2 best mids are a 34 year old who I breathe a sigh of relief every time he completes a game without getting injured and an elite defender who is only playing mid because our midfield sucks.

The point isn't about their age it's the idea that getting a game at Gold Coast is massively harder than here. It isn't.

We don't have an embarrassment of riches in midfield. But we've got plenty of borderline AFL mids. We don't need more. We guys who can become A-graders and mids not getting a game at other clubs don't miraculously behind A-graders.
My point was we're a PFD, Duncan*, and Tuohy* retirement or injury away from our depth being seriously thin, and it's hardly awe-inspiring anyway.

I can't speak for Pure_Ownage, but I'm certainly not advocating for Davies as an A-grader. He isn't.

The point is this is where we sit in that scenario:

Bruhn
Atkins
Holmes (arguably a defender*)
Bowes (arguably a defender*)
Stewart (arguably a defender*)
Clark
Knevitt
Clohesy

Is Davies at 22 a better option in that scenario than a Hayball type at the back end of the draft? I'd be inclined to believe so.

Smith will help enormously, but he's one guy.

We've been lucky with injury this year, and have still been playing defenders, forwards, and VFL standard mids in our centre bounces regularly.

If we're even 10% worse off next year, things are looking very dire in there...and we've already seen what this year looks like.

My point was we're a PFD, Duncan*, and Tuohy* retirement or injury away from our depth being seriously thin, and it's hardly awe-inspiring anyway.

I can't speak for Pure_Ownage, but I'm certainly not advocating for Davies as an A-grader. He isn't.

The point is this is where we sit in that scenario:

Bruhn
Atkins
Holmes (arguably a defender*)
Bowes (arguably a defender*)
Stewart (arguably a defender*)
Clark
Knevitt
Clohesy

Is Davies at 22 a better option in that scenario than a Hayball type at the back end of the draft? I'd be inclined to believe so.

Smith will help enormously, but he's one guy.

We've been lucky with injury this year, and have still been playing defenders, forwards, and VFL standard mids in our centre bounces regularly.

If we're even 10% worse off next year, things are looking very dire in there...and we've already seen what this year looks like.

I haven't seen much of him. But unless the Gold Coast coaches are terrible judges of talent and his VFL stats misrepresent him then he's currently no better than Parfitt, O'Connor, Hardie, Clohesy, Knevitt, etc. Unless we've got some reason to think he can massively improve then it just seems pointless cause we've got plenty of that standard midfielder.

And yeah I'd much prefer the 10-20% chance we pick up a Dempsey, Miers, Close, Humphries, etc over recycling a mid that is highly unlikely to move the needle.

I haven't seen much of him. But unless the Gold Coast coaches are terrible judges of talent and his VFL stats misrepresent him then he's currently no better than Parfitt, O'Connor, Hardie, Clohesy, Knevitt, etc. Unless we've got some reason to think he can massively improve then it just seems pointless cause we've got plenty of that standard midfielder.

And yeah I'd much prefer the 10-20% chance we pick up a Dempsey, Miers, Close, Humphries, etc over recycling a mid that is highly unlikely to move the needle.
Its clear you havnt seen much of him. Davies is 193cm so at least has a point of difference that Bruhn and Clohesy dont have in the midfield. He strength is very similar to Bruhn with a good contested inside game and composure in close but still developing on the spread.

He got 8 clearances in his last appearance at AFL so clearly has talent. Taller players take a bit longer. He doesn't get much time in the centre square when compared to someone like Bruhn so is not getting played to his strengths. I would take him if available

These threads move so fast and I struggle to keep up. Sorry, I'm sure it's been discussed, but where are we at as of now with our direction for this off-field season?

Is Bailey Smith most likely to want to move down the highway? And if so, what's he going to cost? Will our direction for whom we target be dictated by where we land on the ladder?

I rate Bailey Smith, but I don't want to give up too much for him. If we spud it up again and somehow miss finals, I wouldn't want to give up a top-10 pick for Bailey.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back