Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

I clearly have a different opinion of smiths value than most on this board.

That is fine, it would be boring if we all just agreed all the time.

I don’t agree with a 5 year deal for smith for the following reasons:
  • too many red flags
  • too much uncertainty = risk
I also think it would be a slap in the face to Holmes and Stengle who are better players, less risky and just signed 4 year deals.

I somewhat agree that we would look silly if we walked away if we had already agreed on a deal with smith.

But that is not a good enough reason to overpay for a player, and I would be disappointed if we left it get that far.

The one hope I have is that the club will not give him a five year+ deal if they stuck to their guns on 4 with Holmes and Stengle. If they cave and give him a longer deal then I would question our competency. And I don’t think we are incompetent. Time will tell

Stengle signed a 5-year deal - he's contracted through to 2029

Holmes signed a 4-yr deal (who's to say we didn't offer 5yrs?) and that may well have been his call, because when that deal finishes he'll be a FA which could well give him more flexibility for his next contract

A 5-year deal for Smith isn't crazy nor a slap in the face to either of those players

I don’t want players who have better output than our current midfielders.

For a big contract I want high quality, top end midfielders.

Saying that smith is better than our current crop does not give me any comfort that we are making a good deal.

I also think Holmes is better than smith at a very similar role.
2021 and 23 playing wing and half forward out of position. Both and 23.5 touches and 3.5-3.9 clearances. 2022 inside midfielder 29 and 3 clearances. So far better than what any of our mids are giving as output.

I'm giving up a first rounder and 800k and not even blinking when I do it.

Last edited:

2021 and 23 playing wing and half forward out of position. Both and 23.5 touches and 3.5-3.9 clearances. 2022 inside midfielder 29 and 6 clearances. So far better than what Amy of our mids are giving as output.

We don’t need smith, we have parfitt

We don’t need smith, we have parfitt

Smith has the explosiveness that Parfitt is lacking

I've been a Parfitt fan over the years, but would comfortably select Smith in from of him every day of the week

2021 and 23 playing wing and half forward out of position. Both and 23.5 touches and 3.5-3.9 clearances. 2022 inside midfielder 29 and 6 clearances. So far better than what any of our mids are giving as output.

2022 Smith went at 3.7 clearances not 6 from his 29.1 touches per game.

You won’t find many mids with less clearances per possession than that.

Freo’s Brayshaw was surprising similar in 2022 but trending up with clearances this year.

I’m not complaining… but he isn’t a first possession mid. He is the guy that gets the pill fed to him as he creates space with his non stop gut running (which is fine).

Bruhn is a first possession mid… hopefully Clark can be super strong in tight soon and those guys can feed it out to runners like Smith/Holmes for many years.

Last edited:
Are we still competing for a flag with our current list next year?

I'd say stranger things have happened but it's unlikely.

From a coaching and playing perspective we should always be trying to compete while balancing the now and the future.

From a recruiting perspective we should probably be looking mainly at 2027 onwards when our young players should be reaching their peak. But hey if you bring in a couple of 21-24 year olds and everyone steps up next year that's a bonus and not impossible.

Freo’s Brayshaw was surprising similar in 2022 but trending up with clearances this year.

I’m not complaining… but he isn’t a first possession mid. He is the guy that gets the pill fed to him as he creates space with his non stop gut running (which is fine).

Bruhn is a first possession mid… hopefully Clark can be super strong in tight soon and those guys can feed it out to runners like Smith/Holmes for many years.
He was also 21 at the time. Watch him explode for us next year 👍

People on here make me laugh. I broke the news that I heard from a very good source that Smith is now confirmed coming to us. The media since has followed suit. People were sceptical. Didn’t get any credit for a good source as most are sceptics and cynics (fairly with so much BS here).

But the funny part for mine is people talking crap on Smith. The kid did coke for the first time on camera. He actually seems like a nerd who happens to be really good looking. He’s a hard worker and an absolute gun. Best available player and people are hypothesising LDU… he’s not available. Why are you comparing Smith to players who aren’t available? I would prefer prime Chris Judd over Smith. Also unavailable.

Everybody in the camp of wanting Smith just stop arguing with these other nuffies. It fuels the fire of stupidity. Dunning-Kruger in full effect.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think that lower clearance rate would largely be as a result of Bevo pushing him out onto a wing. He won't be stuck on a wing in our team next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, he wouldn’t take three years.

I also agree that 5 yrs $800k and a first round pick gets the deal done.

I just wouldn’t pay the price.

For all parties best interests, we should walk away.

We'd burn so much goodwill with other trade targets if we walked away. $800 is the new $600 - get it done, reap the rewards, listen to opposition fans moan about how unfair it is etc etc

Its the attitude that gets me.

He's shown what he can do when unmotivated, pouty and suffering from poor decisions.

Now, when he first gets to Geelong ( if) im sure we'll have the best Baz.

But what happens when (if) his form drops, he makes another poor choice and gets busted for it, or when things just naturally get harder for him. Are we gonna see him double down and work harder to get back if that's whats needed or will we see what've seen already.

People can surely change as they get older etc but paying an upfront heavy price ignoring those risk potentials can be horrendous as you state.

Go Catters
I can’t recall a single player for reasons outside injury or old age who come to geelong from other clubs and don’t get the absolute best out of themselves.

Scott is a coach who gets the best out of his players. Historically our recruits go up a level under his watch:

Dangerfield
Henderson
Stengle
Rohan
Tuohy
Cameron

We will 100% have him humming

We've never handed out a contract for more than 5 years and I would be astonished if we started with Smith. It'll be 4 or 5 and the money will sound high, but the cap increases mean it's not really a problem it's just the sticker shock of inflation.

Dangerfield's initial deal was for six years. But it was apparently at $800,000 a season, which was ridiculous unders, so it made sense.

We offer 3 years and he doesn't come, no decent free agent or OOC player leaves for a 3 year deal when they have many options.

5 years, 700-800k and a first round pick and it's done
Think the dollars will be higher given the cap increases. Also, Twomey was estimating 600-800 when he signed his current contract extension 2 years ago in a $13m cap environment.

Be surprised if any offer from any club was less than 900k and is be comfortable paying him 1m

The Bulldogs team changes for this week - Macrae played just 11% of last weeks match but apparently needs a rest this week

What would the Bulldogs be willing to pay for someone to take Jack & his contract (or portion of) off their hands?

EMG: J.Macrae, J.Freijah, O.Baker
In: C.Daniel, R.Garcia, L.Jones
Out: R.Sanders (Managed), J.Macrae (Managed), J.Freijah (Managed)

If we have Smith are we still competing for flag?
We would be a bit closer than without but not really. We need him to support organic growth from the 2019-2022 draft cohort.

I would say smith is a required but insufficient piece and we need to retain our future first for next years draft trade period as well as perform well enough in the year to remain a destination club.

Draft capital and $$$ are not of concern to me.

Draft picks ore often overrated. We consistently outperform clubs with many more R1 and specifically high R1 picks.

By the end of the contract 700-800k won't be that high. It's already borderline not enough anymore for band 1 FA compensation as we sit here now.

I can understand the 5 years being a risk aspect. His 2023 'bad year' has been better than any of our mids output since the 22 GF.
Reckon we should have passed that border by now

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back