Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Noticeable difference in TDK's second efforts, and willingness to throw his weight around, vs SDK.
Bigger body, more time in the system and spent more time in the ruck. Sam is 2 years younger, lets revisit this in 2 years time and see how he is going.

Also while TDK bested SDK in the loss to Carlton its not like SDK did nothing. People act like he had a 1 hit out 3 possession game.

Knowing they had the second chance whether that be the semifinal or a week off ahead of a prelim - one surely has to ask that if Butters went into the game not quite right if it was the smart move versus the opportunity to give him an additional 1 or 2 weeks off instead

I look at how our group handled the Stewart situation - no doubt we're better with him in the team, and whether it was his hamstring not 100% or illness, they had the guts & courage to withdraw him and back in a 16 gamer to play his own role within the team, while others stepped up to cover Stewart's absence

We could have easily played Stewart, but if he wasn't quite right and he aggravated something, it most likely means his season done

So, if Butters did go into the match not quite right, did Hinkley just not trust the next man in line to play his role & others to step up, or what he arrogant enough to think that they could play an injured player and not be negatively impacted?

I expect they'll roll Butters out against next match, but wonder how much more influential he would be if he had a double week off to start the finals instead

Legitimate questions, but the one I'm most interested in is whether or not that event has reinforced to us the folly of selecting unfit players in finals?

The choke is on.
Its too far back, as hilarious as a Brisbottle job would be.

Brissie found a way to turn a 70+ point result into likely 30 point win.

It was funny how at 1/4 Buckley etc were saying how the other clubs would sit up and notice Brisbane as a flag threat but if that was the case then, this 3rd quarter makes Brisbane look very very vulnerable.

Bigger body, more time in the system and spent more time in the ruck. Sam is 2 years younger, lets revisit this in 2 years time and see how he is going.

Also while TDK bested SDK in the loss to Carlton its not like SDK did nothing. People act like he had a 1 hit out 3 possession game.

For sure, but the evidence to date suggests - to me anyway - that SDK just doesn't have the same streak of physicality and mongrel that his brother has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Legitimate questions, but the one I'm most interested in is whether or not that event has reinforced to us the folly of selecting unfit players in finals?
I think it depends on the injury and the severity. We would be ****ing insane to take Danger with a suspect calf into a match given his history, but we would likely take Danger with a crook elbow into a match if theres low risk of him having to be subbed off for it because even under duress his output would still be high.

But taking players in with suspect soft tissue injuries, injured ribs or a crook knees/ankles often backfires.
I.e Sydney in 2022 with Reid who basically became a red and white statue before being subbed out.
Or Brisbane in either 02 or 03 took a dodgy ruck (McDonald maybe?) into the GF and lucked out that Keating was the other ruck who happened to go beast mode in matches during September.

But taking an injury into a match that hampers your mobility is a coach killer.

Carlton aren't kicking 7 in the last.
Needed 3 or 4 more to have any chance
Brisbane just showed everyone that they are still very capable of monumentally stupid football

I saw this yesterday in regards to Butters and they may be onto something

Not belong before this, Aliir was also briefly injured, as I alluded to before the game, but I missed that Butters one. Last week Ohenry also grabbed his hammy late in the game. I guess they just play with niggles, although if you are going to continue with fractured ribs, you'd better not be related to the Petracca fam.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back