Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Don't really want Oliver. He is out of form and has a fat contract attached. I doubt we'd get him that cheaply either because it's not like the club are pushing him out. Happy to add Smith this year and reassess in a year's time.

i agree with this also people seem to underestimate the fall we may have next year with dangerfield and cameron a year older.

our 2025 first pick could be really low.

Major fumble by bulldogs if they didn’t take that pick 3.

It would have been pick 5. They wrangled pick 6 from GC to dodge a F/S match, they grabbed they guy at 6 they would have grabbed at 5. Looking at the players around. It was a weak pick 5.

That being said given the player they drafted, plus that Macrae is out of favour and he missed a year, He was surplus to needs

Don't really want Oliver. He is out of form and has a fat contract attached. I doubt we'd get him that cheaply either because it's not like the club are pushing him out. Happy to add Smith this year and reassess in a year's time.

If he and Pettraca aren't getting it done for them. He isn't going to get it done for us

i agree with this also people seem to underestimate the fall we may have next year with dangerfield and cameron a year older.

our 2025 first pick could be really low.

Yeah i don't want us to give up future firsts.
We are heading in the rebuilding direction, with a hard schedule in 2025 and guys a year older.

Bad idea to sell our future.

Tuohy might not play at the Cats next year but being so close to 300 games it wouldn't shock me if he went around one more time with a team like North if they were to offer him a one year deal.

I'm also not sure why we're retiring Gaz Rohan, he's been great when out there this year. Yes I realise 'when out there' is doing some heavy lifiting in that sentence.

Rohan has had major back issues and has done a tonne of work in AFLW coaching.

Similar to Higgins when he was on his last run, moved into assistant coaching while still on our list.
Now is on our bench

It would have been pick 5. They wrangled pick 6 from GC to dodge a F/S match, they grabbed they guy at 6 they would have grabbed at 5. Looking at the players around. It was a weak pick 5.

That being said given the player they drafted, plus that Macrae is out of favour and he missed a year, He was surplus to needs

I dunno I’m pretty sure in hindsight they’d rather pick 5 which could’ve been Watson/Windsor/Curtin over 0 more games from Smith and a late first rounder and a second thrown in from Geelong tbh

Looks like local product Charlie Lazzaro (22) is out of contract this season at North - seems to have a few ahead of him there as well - any word on whether the club might be looking at him?

Looks like local product Charlie Lazzaro (22) is out of contract this season at North - seems to have a few ahead of him there as well - any word on whether the club might be looking at him?
the guy is going to be delisted by north. i dont think we should be looking at players that cant make it at north.

The only thing with Oliver is that I wouldn't underestimate how much dumping a player who is a cultural liability is worth when drawing a line in the sand.

If I was Melbourne I would consider having him leave for a third rounder, even if I had to pay a small portion. I think his situation is that dire.

This thread is hilarious 😹

Just discovered the Bailey Smith posts!

I was reading about an iceberg close to the coast of Havens Edge, a small village ‘somewhere’, which a villager explored + found a Dr Harald Jensen on top, doing scientific research.

I tried to find Havens Edge + if the iceberg story was true.

This same story occurred in Russian Georgia, Newfoundland, Sweden + Alaska, with different village names.

Havens Edge is also a sci fi place.

That’s an hour of conspiracy theories I’ll never get back.

But this thread + the Bailey Smith banter is cracking me up 🤣 🤣 🤣

Are there more Bailey Smith conspiracy theories further back?

I haven't been able to watch much vfl due to family commitments but I am keen to get a view on Furphy. Any specific games of his I can go watch that you recommend?
I don't hold high hopes personally the guys nearly 26 already, looks an absolute mile off to me. Only good game was against Finnbar Maley who with all due respect I reckon I'd beat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, there's a lot of conflicting reports that say they want him gone.

Goodwin's putting up the "Nothing to see here" facade, but would it really surprise anybody if there's a fire sale come October?

If I was Melbourne I would consider having him leave for a third rounder, even if I had to pay a small portion. I think his situation is that dire.

That's not going to be an option for Melbourne. Nobody is taking on the vast majority of Oliver's wage and then paying for the privilege. He's still got 6 years as one of the highest paid players in the comp while he's performing like a VFL battler.

Realistically if he came for free somebody would probably offer him 6x $700k or so in the hope he turns things around. But that would still leave Melbourne paying $400-500k per year of his wage for 6 years.

I think the choice for Melbourne is either to accept a rebuild and cop paying half of Oliver's wage. Or go hard for the next few years, target free agents or trades now but that requires dumping most of Oliver's wage which will mean adding their first to the trade.

That's not going to be an option for Melbourne. Nobody is taking on the vast majority of Oliver's wage and then paying for the privilege. He's still got 6 years as one of the highest paid players in the comp while he's performing like a VFL battler.

Realistically if he came for free somebody would probably offer him 6x $700k or so in the hope he turns things around. But that would still leave Melbourne paying $400-500k per year of his wage for 6 years.

I think the choice for Melbourne is either to accept a rebuild and cop paying half of Oliver's wage. Or go hard for the next few years, target free agents or trades now but that requires dumping most of Oliver's wage which will mean adding their first to the trade.
In what is becoming a decent list of clubs completely screwing up their list management strategy (Collingwood, we see you), this latest litany of accumulated failures by the Dees does qualify as a rather meritorious effort to take the all-time title.

#holdmybeer

Last edited:
To be fair, there's a lot of conflicting reports that say they want him gone.

Goodwin's putting up the "Nothing to see here" facade, but would it really surprise anybody if there's a fire sale come October?
I think we'll see a bit of the old deck chairs on the titanic play out post season at Melbourne.

Pert and Goodwin seem to be backing each other publicly but it won't take much for that to go pear shaped if self preservation kicks in. Regardless of the brave facade and rebutting any assertion that there is a culture problem, I think there'll be enough pressure for the club to think they need to be seen to pull some levers - doing nothing is probably not an option for that club right now. There's also the ex President Glenn Bartlett shadow hanging over the club - he's threatened to go public with more claims and even drag the club through the courts in need.

Something is not right down there right now. Hard to see how they can keep putting a spin on things and saying everything is fine. Possibly there's more players to ask to get out. The interesting thing for me is that (as far as I have seen) Petracca has still not publicly come out and shut down rumours of him being unhappy. That's a warning sign if I was a supporter of that club.

I doubt they will trade Oliver.. With that contract they will probably have tk trade their first pick and Oliver to get rid of it.

If they’re blowing the team up then they will do anything to get rid of that contract. All depends if the rumours of Petracca, Viney and Pickett leaving are true

If they’re blowing the team up then they will do anything to get rid of that contract. All depends if the rumours of Petracca, Viney and Pickett leaving are true
Nah they'll keep Pickett IMO. He's 23 years old.

You build around those pieces for your next tilt, you don't trade them.

At least with Petracca, Oliver, and especially Viney, there's an argument that they won't be there for their next window, so you're better off getting pieces in who will be.

the guy is going to be delisted by north. i dont think we should be looking at players that cant make it at north.
I do understand what your saying but remember for every few players who are delisted by a team down the bottom of the ladder there’s a Lachie Bramble who sneaks back in.
Also remember Dylan Moore was delisted by the Hawks

Tuohy might not play at the Cats next year but being so close to 300 games it wouldn't shock me if he went around one more time with a team like North if they were to offer him a one year deal.

I'm also not sure why we're retiring Gaz Rohan, he's been great when out there this year. Yes I realise 'when out there' is doing some heavy lifiting in that sentence.
Great is also doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

Nah they'll keep Pickett IMO. He's 23 years old.

You build around those pieces for your next tilt, you don't trade them.

At least with Petracca, Oliver, and especially Viney, there's an argument that they won't be there for their next window, so you're better off getting pieces in who will be.

What is a window? And what do pieces have to do with it?

The only thing with Oliver is that I wouldn't underestimate how much dumping a player who is a cultural liability is worth when drawing a line in the sand.

That contract is so bad that I can’t see him leaving.

Melbourne will need to pay significant freight to get rid of him, so much so that it will be better for them to keep him around and pray that he gets even remotely better.

The only way he would leave is if Gawn and/or Petracca basically say either he goes or I go. Which may be realistic but any deal would cripple the club.

What an absolute cluster****.

Maybe freo and Melbourne could trade Oliver for Darcy with Melbourne including some draft pick compo as counterweight. Basically trade one albatross contract for another and hope a change of scenery does wonders. In that scenario, Melbourne would have to include a decent draft pick, that is how bad the Oliver deal is.

Oliver in Perth, what could go wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back