Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

I'm not his biggest fan, but he's really not.

Literally one good pre-season would be enough. The huge caveat is if he's mentally up for it.

He's not in AFL shape, that's obvious...but he's not 'fat' or anything like that, at least by societal standards.

6 months eating properly/alcohol free and training in a professional environment is more than enough time if he approached it like he has in the past, rather than he has recently.

The whole reason he's where he is now is because he hasn't been doing that.
Have you been watching him on the field?

He is in the worst footy shape of any player since Jack Steven.

I think someone would.

By 2027 the average wage will go above $500k. So $700k per year isn't massive money. He'd be maybe you 8th-10th best paid player.

If after 2 seasons it's clearly not working you could probably negotiate a pay out of the last 4 seasons at a bit above average wage. It's still a hit but not calamitous like his current contract. I think somebody would do that convinced that they can turn him around.
The $700k is not the issue. It is the 6 years.

You would be committing to Clayton Oliver for 6 years. Let that sink in. That is an absolute no go.

I wouldn’t commit to him for 2 years.

Yeah things are not looking good for young Clayton but I'm sure there's people at most clubs who think they can diagnose and solve Clayton Oliver.

I expect Melbourne would pretend to not want him gone but behind closed doors I expect them to be a motivated seller. They're selling a house that is literally on fire, a few buyers are bringing a water truck to the inspection.
Why would any club want to make him their problem?

There had to be a better way to spend ~$700k/annum over 6 (SIX!) years

Gold Coast were over a barrel where they either dumped Bowes or they lost an Anderson/Rowell/King. They had cooked their cap completely.

Melbourne aren't in the same circumstance. They're not going to lose a gun youngster if they can't get rid of Oliver's wage. My bet is if he's traded they end up covering a lot of his wage still rather than adding a pick.
I don’t think you are taking into consideration just how bad Oliver’s contract situation is.

I can’t remember a worse contract than Oliver’s is.

as in flat 700k a year for 6?? of course man. you need to take into account the CBA rises coming.

guys like hardwick and zurhar are getting more than 700 a year after extending this year and those two couldnt tie oliver shoelaces if he is up and running. big if.
I would take those 2 blokes over Oliver every day of the week.

They don’t have the potential to completely sabotage your culture. Oliver does.

It seems that something has to give at Melbourne. Pretty sure it will not be Trac or Kysiaiah. But the club has to take action. So Clarry to Geelong makes sense for Melbourne at least from the outside. The Dees will have to eat a big chunk of his contract, Collingwood style. Then if I was Mackie I'd be demanding that Oliver agrees to alter his contract so that it has a performance based clause built in. Why would Clarry do this? Because he needs a fresh start and the performance clause helps him with him disipline. Its a win for Clarry.

I would expect the Dees don't get anything like full trade value, once again, like the Pies did with Grundy.

So if I'm Andrew Mackie that would be my thinking. Clarry and Baz in hoops for this years first and second.

I boy can dream.
There is no chance that Oliver will renegotiate his contract.

He will never get anything like that contract ever again. If he has any sort of professional advice in his corner they would never let him do it.

He would need to be on some serious gear to agree to alter that contract.

Low risk, but lower reward. Oliver is also a 3 x all Australian, 2 x AFLCA MVP. So comparisons to Bowes are not relevant for multiple reasons.
Oliver is also 10kg overweight and has a recent habit of rocking up to preseason training off his face.

You are correct, there is no comparison to Bowes.

If you are going to do this then you have to have budgeted into your Football Department Budget salary for a person to manage Clayton. It does not look like he can be trusted at this time to manage himself. Do we have people with the required skillset?
Why would a club put themselves through that? It defies logic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um…Sean Darcy…
Darcy is a ruckman who can use his bulk to his advantage at times.

Oliver is a midfielder who needs to be an elite runner, not blowing up after 40 seconds of running.

And no, I would not go anywhere near Darcy either. But Oliver is in way worse shape.

Darcy is a ruckman who can use his bulk to his advantage at times.

Oliver is a midfielder who needs to be an elite runner, not blowing up after 40 seconds of running.

And no, I would not go anywhere near Darcy either. But Oliver is in way worse shape.
Yeah nah.

So, today Jay Clark in the Herald Sun says this:

“Every club in the competition is peering over the Melbourne fence.

Geelong on Clayton Oliver. Collingwood on Christian Petracca. Port Adelaide on Kysaiah Pickett.”

Interesting he keeps hearing the same news as me a few days later. I have a good friend who has a very strong connection with one of the most important figures at Collingwood so I knew this a couple weeks ago about Petracca as I mentioned the other day.

And the fact it’s leaked to Clark already means Pies are pushing hard. I don’t think it happens but it does speak volumes of how dire a position Melbourne are in.

And people on here, believe me when I say we are knee deep in Oliver. This guy doesn’t want to be in Melbourne. Notice Gawn is playing the final two games? Did you hear his comments about the club culture being at stake? This is serious stuff…. The club culture at stake over two dead rubber games. What does that actually mean? I think it means he’s trying to show all these players who are disgruntled what he thinks about them. It’s messy.

ANB already requesting a trade with two games to go as well. I’m going to find out more about that as well if it interests anybody… But it’s all going to slowly come out over time. This is unreal what’s happening at Melbourne right now.

Alas, those who don’t like trouble makers and only want saints in the hoops, be warned, we are going to be chasing Oliver and landing Smith and oh boy, I’m excited. They’ll be just like Stengle for us: perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Collingwood is zero chance to get petracca currency cap and list wise. Less than zero.

Not even worth discussing.

I'm not his biggest fan, but he's really not.

Literally one good pre-season would be enough. The huge caveat is if he's mentally up for it.

He's not in AFL shape, that's obvious...but he's not 'fat' or anything like that, at least by societal standards.

6 months eating properly/alcohol free and training in a professional environment is more than enough time if he approached it like he has in the past, rather than he has recently.

The whole reason he's where he is now is because he hasn't been doing that.

Hes mentally off the rails and untradeable. Im not sure why people are wasting their time thinking any clubs board will sign off on bringinf him in.

Hes mentally off the rails and untradeable. Im not sure why people are wasting their time thinking any clubs board will sign off on bringinf him in.
Someone always thinks they can do better. If the offer is attractive enough there will be offers, plenty of them.

In regards to his mental state, tough judging from the outside. Been reading in here that Rhys Stanley was mentally checked out and would never be considered for the ones again, yet in three weeks time when the finals start he will be the number one ruck for one of the leading teams yet again.

Collingwood is zero chance to get petracca currency cap and list wise. Less than zero.

Not even worth discussing.

Yet, internally at Collingwood they are. Interesting hey. Almost like clubs can trade and make moves to make things happen. I did say probably pipe dream stuff but it’s telling clubs likes Pies, North and Geelong are dreaming and trying. They obviously believe if you shake enough branches some fruit will fall.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back