Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Not sure why we are in for Smith, we have other holes that need filling rather Haynes from GWS to replace Tuohy.
I think this is a terrible suggestion. We already have plenty of 6'2" - 6'4" defenders (Kolo, Henry, Stewart, Zuthrie, Tuohy, O'Connor, Duncan) and Haynes is already 32yo so we get, what, 2 years out of him at most?

What we really need is a full sized KPD. SDK is about it right now. Hopefully O'Sullivan gets there too, but another wouldn't hurt. Asking Henry and Kolo to stand the likes of McKay, King x 2, Hogan, etc every week is a massive ask. Haynes is not the answer to that problem.

Another thing we really need is midfield speed and class. Hence Smith.

I actually don’t mind the suggestion replacing 2E with Haynes.
Yeah he’s 30+ but he isn’t a KD
He’s more a mixture of 2E/Stewart
We already have plenty of those. We desperately need a KD... hopefully O'Sullivan becomes one, but another one definitely wouldn't hurt alongside SDK. Henry & Kolo do admirable jobs each week but they are seriously undersized when the opposition are rolling out the likes of McKay, Hogan, Dixon, King, King, Larkey, Daniher, Treacy, Jamarra, etc, etc

Hes mentally off the rails and untradeable. Im not sure why people are wasting their time thinking any clubs board will sign off on bringinf him in.

Oliver you referring to? On what basis can you determine he’s “off the rails”? It’s actually patently untrue.

I hope we look at Kayle Gerryn with our first pick was highly rated around last year for this draft but has slipped down the order a bit I see him being a perfect chop out for Conway in the future from a kpp player, has little bits of a few different players the closest comparison I could think of would be Blitz mixed with Jackson.

Darcy is a ruckman who can use his bulk to his advantage at times.

Oliver is a midfielder who needs to be an elite runner, not blowing up after 40 seconds of running.

And no, I would not go anywhere near Darcy either. But Oliver is in way worse shape.
Out of shape ruckman tire out worse than anyone. The physicality of wrestling all day with another ruck and running from contest to contest is grueling.

No clubs are interested in Oliver. Geelong are into Smith and Waterman although it seems Waterman wants to stay at the Eagles. Archie Perkins name has been raised at Geelong.

On the whole "we will regret not taking Nate Caddy" subject that gets brought up from time to time:

He's shown some great signs in general play but has the worst composure in front of goal out of any young forward I can remember in at least the last 10 years. Genuine stage fright in play on situations when he's 20m out and either a basic drop punt or snap shot is needed. Then a set shot routine that seems completely unreliable.

Caddy has plenty of time to sort these issues out of course. He's still kicked 9 goals this year. With even the smallest amount of composure he could've had 20 as it's not just the 10 behinds, he's had a bunch of out on the fulls or situations like last night where he hasn't ended up getting the actual shot off.

No clubs are interested in Oliver. Geelong are into Smith and Waterman although it seems Waterman wants to stay at the Eagles. Archie Perkins name has been raised at Geelong.

Straight up incorrect. We are into Oliver. Hard. Perkins just signed a two year extension. And Waterman is just pushing for a fat payday from West Coast, which he will receive. Just straight up misinformation here besides us being into Smith, which is household knowledge at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gold Coast were over a barrel where they either dumped Bowes or they lost an Anderson/Rowell/King. They had cooked their cap completely.

Melbourne aren't in the same circumstance. They're not going to lose a gun youngster if they can't get rid of Oliver's wage. My bet is if he's traded they end up covering a lot of his wage still rather than adding a pick.
Tend to agree but with Oliver value so questionable, its hard to sell him as an asset.

So someone takes Oliver on and MElbourne pays75% wages for example, now the new team has Oliver but if he's broken as a player and not interested in playing or getting better the new team is paying 25% of his existence and getting nothing for it in reality.
Its an extreme view for sure but not that far fetched - especially if the scenery change has no effect and its getting further and further away time wise from his best.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd just about rather Dangerfield plays until 40 than recruit Clayton Oliver.

I hope we look at Kayle Gerryn with our first pick was highly rated around last year for this draft but has slipped down the order a bit I see him being a perfect chop out for Conway in the future from a kpp player, has little bits of a few different players the closest comparison I could think of would be Blitz mixed with Jackson.
I don’t get how he has gone under the radar near zero chatter online about him. But he has been invited to the combine.

I'd just about rather Dangerfield plays until 40 than recruit Clayton Oliver.
Danger just might do. Has there ever been a player at his age to still genuinely have that power and explosiveness? It should have diminished a lot lot more.

By the way I'm joking, let's just get him to 47 years and 3 months tehehe

We already have plenty of those. We desperately need a KD... hopefully O'Sullivan becomes one, but another one definitely wouldn't hurt alongside SDK. Henry & Kolo do admirable jobs each week but they are seriously undersized when the opposition are rolling out the likes of McKay, Hogan, Dixon, King, King, Larkey, Daniher, Treacy, Jamarra, etc, etc
Our defence for defenders is fine
It’s the running defenders who can drift over and take a mark who I want.
Not necessarily Haynes but someone similar

Tend to agree but with Oliver value so questionable, its hard to sell him as an asset.

So someone takes Oliver on and MElbourne pays75% wages for example, now the new team has Oliver but if he's broken as a player and not interested in playing or getting better the new team is paying 25% of his existence and getting nothing for it in reality.
Its an extreme view for sure but not that far fetched - especially if the scenery change has no effect and its getting further and further away time wise from his best.

Go Catters
That is bang on Daz.

I could almost stomach it on a short term deal. But 6 years? No thanks.

Out of shape ruckman tire out worse than anyone. The physicality of wrestling all day with another ruck and running from contest to contest is grueling.
Nice try GC, I am not going down any crazy rabbit holes with you today.

Good fishing though, commendable effort

Last edited:

Go Catters

That's the risk, but there's a ton of upside too. Oliver is a premiership player, 3x All Australian, 2x AFLCA champion - and the best part is he's only 27, plenty of time to get things back on track.

That's the risk, but there's a ton of upside too. Oliver is a premiership player, 3x All Australian, 2x AFLCA champion - and the best part is he's only 27, plenty of time to get things back on track.
You are correct that there is plenty of time for him to get back on track. 6 years actually. That is a long detour

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back