Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

You are correct that there is plenty of time for him to get back on track. 6 years actually. That is a long detour
I could actually see that contract working for a Richmond type club who just had no one to pay.

You don't load the payments massively for two years then he's just on a normal correct by 29.

His behaviour probably makes him relateable to their fans too

I could actually see that contract working for a Richmond type club who just had no one to pay.

You don't load the payments massively for two years then he's just on a normal correct by 29.

His behaviour probably makes him relateable to their fans too
Oliver to Richmond is a deal I could get behind

Straight up incorrect. We are into Oliver. Hard. Perkins just signed a two year extension. And Waterman is just pushing for a fat payday from West Coast, which he will receive. Just straight up misinformation here besides us being into Smith, which is household knowledge at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
ITK DUEL!!!

I love it ❤️

Oliver had one off season where he couldn’t and didn’t control himself.
It’s not even a common theme for him
His conditioning was a massive knock on him during his pre draft year. He had talked quite openly about it. He basically rocketed up the draft boards when he finally got himself in good shape.

It is not a one off.

My goodness the Oliver debate brings out the passion around here. I'm definitly in the under the right conditions, yes please side of the debate.

Maybe I am under estimating Melbournes need to get him out so I'm happy for them to contribute more of his contract and for the Cats to offer less than a second rounder in the trade.

If I was advising Clarry, I would tell him to renegotiate to add some performance conditions to the contract. Yes it might mean he is putting money at risk, but it looks necessary to convince a club to take him on. Its definitely in Clarry's best interest. It might be what saves his carrer. Managers are supposed to put their clients interests first.

Recently Eddie Betts and his partner helped Tyson Stengline understand that its not just about the money. They did Tyson and enormous service. Clarry's manager need to do the same.

If a deal cannot get done with another club Clayton might be the first breech of contract case in court in AFL history. If that happens Clarry ain't getting paid.

Geelong has a proud history of helping people get back on the rails. Tyson is an example, a memorable example would be Senior.

So yes, under the right circumtances, I would bring in a wayward 3 time all Australian premiership winning midfeilder.

I think this is a terrible suggestion. We already have plenty of 6'2" - 6'4" defenders (Kolo, Henry, Stewart, Zuthrie, Tuohy, O'Connor, Duncan) and Haynes is already 32yo so we get, what, 2 years out of him at most?

What we really need is a full sized KPD. SDK is about it right now. Hopefully O'Sullivan gets there too, but another wouldn't hurt. Asking Henry and Kolo to stand the likes of McKay, King x 2, Hogan, etc every week is a massive ask. Haynes is not the answer to that problem.

Another thing we really need is midfield speed and class. Hence Smith.
Haynes would cost us hardly anything other than cap space and he has pace to burn, don't forget we don't have much capital in draft picks, clearly with Smith I have missed something as I don't rate him that high, but the club really want him we will get him, just hope we don't pay overs for him.

Interested if any VFL watchers or ITK type have an opinion on George Stevens - is he capable of developing into a contested "Inside Bull" given his leadership qualities and size - I really hope so
I'd hope to have seen a little more from big George this year. I would say there's been moments where he has shown something. He hasn't always been played in position. I'd call his season okay. I probably had higher expectations going into this year then I will for next but hopeful a full pre-season helps.

IMO inside mid is his best position but sometimes hes been on a wing, not sure if trying to build fitness or add to his repertoire. His work inside is quite good, clean handball. He is slow, which we know, that doesn't rule him out for me but at the moment he doesn't have any other tricks, for such a big body he doesn't take many marks.

My goodness the Oliver debate brings out the passion around here. I'm definitly in the under the right conditions, yes please side of the debate.

Maybe I am under estimating Melbournes need to get him out so I'm happy for them to contribute more of his contract and for the Cats to offer less than a second rounder in the trade.

If I was advising Clarry, I would tell him to renegotiate to add some performance conditions to the contract. Yes it might mean he is putting money at risk, but it looks necessary to convince a club to take him on. Its definitely in Clarry's best interest. It might be what saves his carrer. Managers are supposed to put their clients interests first.

Recently Eddie Betts and his partner helped Tyson Stengline understand that its not just about the money. They did Tyson and enormous service. Clarry's manager need to do the same.

If a deal cannot get done with another club Clayton might be the first breech of contract case in court in AFL history. If that happens Clarry ain't getting paid.

Geelong has a proud history of helping people get back on the rails. Tyson is an example, a memorable example would be Senior.

So yes, under the right circumtances, I would bring in a wayward 3 time all Australian premiership winning midfeilder.
I'm not sure Clarry has done anything that Demon's could take him to court just the usual mischief players get into, and alas would have to honour his contract, which means they either have to pay a fair amount to unload him or keep him and try turn him around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver wants to come to Geelong (well that was the case a few months ago) not sure whether we want him or not, or if we could workout a trade that suits Melbourne.

I'd definitely take him under the right circumstances. Melbourne's a shitshow and he has no respect for them so like a naughty kid in the classroom, he's gone rogue. He wants to be at Geelong and will have more respect for our leaders. I don't think it will happen though, there's just isn't a way for both clubs to be satisfied.

Oliver will be a big watch this trade period for us. I think it’s possible we can get both Smith and Oliver this year. Both will thrive in our system despite their obvious risks. Our club culture is more than strong enough to keep them in line. Even if we take on 50% of Oliver’s contract, I don’t think we’d need to pay more than a second rounder for him. Sounds like Melb just want him off their books and out.

I think we could make Oliver work. There are quite a few question marks. He has got a lot of Km on his body already, does he have any degenerate injuries, how badly do Melbourne want him gone. If they want fair value for his reputation then we're not in the chase.

But our lists age profile will open up a lot more cap space then we could otherwise bring in talent. We'd be able front end the contact. And the tail end of the contract would be handled by the cap inflation. It wouldn't be the worst idea to grab an otherwise good on field player who has a bad contract as long as we can get the saving in draft picks.

Oliver will be a big watch this trade period for us. I think it’s possible we can get both Smith and Oliver this year. Both will thrive in our system despite their obvious risks. Our club culture is more than strong enough to keep them in line. Even if we take on 50% of Oliver’s contract, I don’t think we’d need to pay more than a second rounder for him. Sounds like Melb just want him off their books and out.

What obvious risks does Smith have? Unless you’re talking injury with his acl I guess. But he’s got no baggage like Oliver

Only way I'd even THINK about Oliver is if it was a Bowes Deal on steroids.

Like if they gave us two first rounders just to take his contract off the books, maybe. But absolutely not involving us giving up anything for him.

Oliver is an interesting one, haven’t taken a great deal of interest in the off field stuff but doesn’t seem like he’s committed any hanging offences. IF he’s actually keen to come to us, I’d be happy to use a second if we’re splitting the difference with Dees on wages. AND a clause with behavioural and fitness markers that would allow us to tear it up, think it’s worth the risk of a second rounder for the potential upside. Smith AND Oliver in one window with Reid and Cadman in the wings, can you imagine the melts.

Midfield dynamic changed up allowing Blicavs/Stewart to drop back and PFD to roll forward in his twilight.

I don't hold high hopes personally the guys nearly 26 already, looks an absolute mile off to me. Only good game was against Finnbar Maley who with all due respect I reckon I'd beat.
I have no concept how althetic you (still) are….(!) but I am guessing that this comment in reality is not really “respectful” at all 😳😁

I'm not his biggest fan, but he's really not.

Literally one good pre-season would be enough. The huge caveat is if he's mentally up for it.

He's not in AFL shape, that's obvious...but he's not 'fat' or anything like that, at least by societal standards.

6 months eating properly/alcohol free and training in a professional environment is more than enough time if he approached it like he has in the past, rather than he has recently.

The whole reason he's where he is now is because he hasn't been doing that.
I have tried 6 days and it is really really hard!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back