Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Just doesn't make any sense.

We've had legends of this club win us premierships and deliver so much joy over the years.

If we're not going to break the bank or the team ethos for them....then we're not going to break it for a guy who's delivered us nothing.

I'm pro getting Smith, and I believe he'd help us immensely...but this situation is far more Hopper esque than it is Dangerfield or Cameron.

There's a very real scenario that he doesn't come here, and we look back on it as a blessing in disguise.

The opposite is also true, but it's not at a Dangerfield or Cameron premiership deciding level IMO.
Bailey Smith is a much better player than Hopper. He's playing the role Treloar plays at the Dogs this year... can we just envisage how we'd be going with a Treloar through our midfield right now?!? Dangerfield has one, maybe two seasons left in him. Bailey certainly hasn't hit the heights of Dangerfield (and probably won't), but he has attributes along those lines - breaks lines, quick, hard and skillful. While I don't think we will go against our ethos of paying unders, giving him a five or six year contract is certainly not the worst idea.

Bailey Smith is a much better player than Hopper. He's playing the role Treloar plays at the Dogs this year... can we just envisage how we'd be going with a Treloar through our midfield right now?!? Dangerfield has one, maybe two seasons left in him. Bailey certainly hasn't hit the heights of Dangerfield (and probably won't), but he has attributes along those lines - breaks lines, quick, hard and skillful. While I don't think we will go against our ethos of paying unders, giving him a five or six year contract is certainly not the worst idea.
He has had Mental health issues, Drug issues and is coming off an ACL. 6 years is simply too much risk in my eyes, 5 was good faith from Geelong and possibly overs, but to come out and say you're going to highest bidder, shows we're not his preferred destination. Disappointing, because we need mids, but once you start paying overs for risky players/questionable players that's when clubs start running into trouble. What if he can't get to his best?

There's dickheads, and then there's Stringer. He's in his own category.

I'm a big believer in second chances, but some of the stuff he's done is pretty messed up. Happy for someone else to make him their problem

With what's quickly becoming a younger group, you don't want those types at your club. You probably don't want them regardless.

As you say, if we want the experience, there's plenty of high character guys around.

Take a look at his gut in the last round of the season.
He's been on the beers.

You don't need to convince me that he's better than Hopper. I was never a Hopper fan, and I'm glad that he didn't end up here.

The point is (IMO) that he's closer to being Jacob Hopper than he is Patrick Dangerfield or Jeremy Cameron, in terms of the impact of his recruitment on our trajectory as a club.

These are players that almost single-handedly dictated seasons, finals campaigns, and eventually a premiership.

You knew you were getting an absolute superstar, no questions asked, as soon as we recruited them.

Smith isn't of that ilk, and there's no shame in that, very few are...but we can't pretend that it's not the case.

The idea is if we miss on Smith, it's not the end of the world, and could very well be a blessing in disguise - much like it was with Hopper.

Now, I'm not for one second saying we'd be getting any of these players, but the following are OOC within the next two years:

• Andrew Brayshaw
  • Zak Butters
  • Luke Davies-Uniacke
  • Finn Callaghan
  • Aaron Cadman
  • Matt Rowell
  • James Worpel
  • Chad Warner
  • Harley Reid
  • Sam Walsh
  • George Wardlaw

Just my opinion, but I'd have all of these players level - or above - Smith in regards to what they could add to our side.

Players of Smith's calibre become available regularly, quite literally every year....it's just up to the club to be able to convince them that we'd be the best option for them to play their football.

If we miss on him, so be it. As always, there will be other targets.

It's why I compare it to Hopper, rather than Cameron or Dangerfield, which would have been devastating had they not ended up here after all the courting that had gone on.

People going bat shut crazy about Smith with a 6 year contract yet a player like Wood is getting a 3 year contract at the age of 31

I wonder what everyone would prefer,
I’d take Smith on a 8 year deal before I offered Wood a 3 year deal at his age.
His management has done an exceptional job
I think the on my thing with wood to worry about is injuries and drop off. Smith has a wider range of risks.

I'm a big fan of the trade for him but there's a point where you tell him to take the other offer

He has had Mental health issues, Drug issues and is coming off an ACL. 6 years is simply too much risk in my eyes, 5 was good faith from Geelong and possibly overs, but to come out and say you're going to highest bidder, shows we're not his preferred destination. Disappointing, because we need mids, but once you start paying overs for risky players/questionable players that's when clubs start running into trouble. What if he can't get to his best?
I'm not sure how old you are, but if Bailey Smith has drug issues, then so does 85% of the league...

Mental Health issues are fairly widespread as well. I don't think we would be recruiting him if we hadn't done our due diligence.

I think his personal issues are well and truly oversold - he was caught with cocaine once, but so were Libba, Matty Stokes, more recently Elijah Hollands. He is a super committed player during the season - his off seasons might be a little in the vain of Dustin Martin, but that turned out pretty well for the Tigers...

I think six year contracts are too risky in general, but five years feels right - we did the same with Stengle, and he has fairly well publicised personal issues to consider too. But we back ourselves in.

I'd be happy to put triggers in for extra years maybe

Where do we even play him?
I don't think I could afford to cheer for him after all the jokes I've made at his expense over the years.

The closest would be when we recruited Jenkins, and we only had to deal with that for two games.

Although, I would love to see a team sheet one day that consists of:

IN: Dangerfield, Henry
Out: O'Connor (omitted) Stringer (Jail)

I'm not sure how old you are, but if Bailey Smith has drug issues, then so does 85% of the league...

Mental Health issues are fairly widespread as well. I don't think we would be recruiting him if we hadn't done our due diligence.

I think his personal issues are well and truly oversold - he was caught with cocaine once, but so were Libba, Matty Stokes, more recently Elijah Hollands. He is a super committed player during the season - his off seasons might be a little in the vain of Dustin Martin, but that turned out pretty well for the Tigers...

I think six year contracts are too risky in general, but five years feels right - we did the same with Stengle, and he has fairly well publicised personal issues to consider too. But we back ourselves in.
Not to suggest he’s at Charlie Sheen levels but you gotta be unlucky to be caught on the nose candy the one and only time you give it a whirl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s no chance that the club would go for stringer after the way he not only treated the club last time by not even attending a interview but his character and poor performances with Ess over the last few years …plus why do we need another forward with the forwardline we have atm?

Just click bait nonsense

it always makes me laugh when people here bring up Smith and “drug issues” when talking about risks with him. If they only knew how many in the league are on it, including Geelong players.

Where do we even play him?

Doesn't have to be in everyone's best 22 to get games.

With Hawkins retiring and Rohan likely to join him, we have a gap in depth for KPF/third tall. And while he can't be a full time inside mid. With another year in Dangerfield, having some need to fill out that hyper offensive inside mid role, would help us protect Dangerfield somewhat.

it always makes me laugh when people here bring up Smith and “drug issues” when talking about risks with him. If they only knew how many in the league are on it, including Geelong players.

Given that the media have an incentive to name and shame the players involved in illicit drugs, and would love to do so, can you explain why pretty much no players have been publicly exposed in such a way? Why are rando no-names like you hyper-informed about the ubiquitous substance abuse within the AFL, and apparently knowledgeable about the exact players participating in it, while professional journalists with industry connections whose careers would benefit from reporting such a story never seem to mention it?

Doesn't have to be in everyone's best 22 to get games.

With Hawkins retiring and Rohan likely to join him, we have a gap in depth for KPF/third tall. And while he can't be a full time inside mid. With another year in Dangerfield, having some need to fill out that hyper offensive inside mid role, would help us protect Dangerfield somewhat.
If he's not even plan A then that trade would have to be cheap

Not a big fan of Stringer but football wise if we got him cheap he’d be a decent addition. He’s a goal kicker so he’d get goals up forward but he could also rotate with Danger in the middle.

Given that the media have an incentive to name and shame the players involved in illicit drugs, and would love to do so, can you explain why pretty much no players have been publicly exposed in such a way? Why are rando no-names like you hyper-informed about the ubiquitous substance abuse within the AFL, and apparently knowledgeable about the exact players participating in it, while professional journalists with industry connections whose careers would benefit from reporting such a story never seem to mention it?

I’m not even sure what you’re trying to say? Are you even aware of what the actual drug policy is in the league? Players can self report when they use drugs and no one will know expect the doctors. You really think a doctor is gonna leak that info to a journalist?

Have a look at the players who have actually been named. They have either been caught via social media pictures, or literally been sent to hospital (Oliver, Libba) or someone like Joel Smith who was caught by police for trafficking.

And as a rando no name myself like you said, I know because I’ve seen it and been involved with my own eyes. You’re ignorant if you think well over half the league aren’t getting on it regularly

Agreed. I’d be interested to test those on the game day thread as well 🤪

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back