Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

On Martin, I have no doubts we'd have done our due diligence and had his body assessed. The fact we're considered the leader for his services would suggest we believe we can fix whatever issues have plagued him.

But it's still massive risk - an average of only playing 13 games per season is a huge red flag.

He costs nothing except a list spot for next year. If it doesn't work it's no great loss.

He was in their academy so they know the player at least
Will be interesting where Parf ends up, if no other afl club re-drafts him, his junior club North Adelaide won't hesitate in giving him a call ? Or like some indigenous territorians, head to fnq or to Perth. Not sure he would head back to Darwin.

Kolo SDK Mullin
Stewart Henry Zuthrie
Humphries Danger Miers
Mannagh Neale Dempsey
Stengle Cameron Henry

Bilcavs Smith Holmes

Close Bruhn COS Atkins
Sub- Bowes

ideal line up including smith.

Unless COnway is fit, I dont mind sharing between blitz SDK and Neale
We’re in trouble if we’re playing Blitz in the ruck all year. Good for a pinch hit, but not permanently.

I hope Conway gets a really good run at it, and I suspect Stanley going around again is backup for him. Ideally 6-8 games if only because Conway’s body is not quite ready for a full 25 game season.

LMFAO.

You go from this:

I'm still struggling to see how people think Neale is a good long term option... That performance in the prelim was one of the worst I have seen from a player.

Hawkins on one leg would have offered more. The bloke can hardly run as well and you murdered in the rebound after the footy hit him in the face instead of his mitts.....

To:

Just my opinion buddy, nothing against the guy just don't think he has what we need.

It wasn't just "your opinion".

Neale wasn't great in the prelim, true, but he competed and was far from our worst. And that was off a 9 mark, 2 goal game against Port in the QF.

I actually think he shows some great signs for a very big man who's just 22yo and played just 20 games. He competes well in the air, he takes marks, he's mobile, and he kicks straight.

Of course that's just an opinion too, so here's some data to back up why he deserved his spot:

In his last 9 games (including the PF), Neale has taken 39 marks and kicked 13 goals.

In Hawkins' last 9 games earlier in the year, he took 23 marks and kicked 6 goals.

Even in that "worst performance you have seen from a player", Neale took more marks than Hawk did in 7 of his last 9 games. He had more disposals than Hawk did in 5 of his last 9 games. He kicked the same number of goals (zero) as Hawk did in 5 of his last 9 games.

And here's another stat for you: Neale has kicked 24 goals in his first 20 games. So what did some other notable key forwards do in their first 20 games?
Hawk: 25
Charlie Curnow: 15
Max King: 25
Ben King: 28
Jack Riewoldt: 19

Seems pretty competitive with some pretty big names, wouldn't you say?

Here's yet another stat: at the same age, Hawk played all 3 of our finals (in 2010). How do you think he went? I'll tell you: he kicked ONE goal, total, in those three games. In the prelim against Collingwood, he had 1 mark, 1 kick, 0 goals. Now THAT is a shit game. And while Hawkins was the same age as Neale at the time (22yo), it was actually his 61st game. So he had a full 2 seasons more actual playing experience than Neale does right now.

But Hawk turned out OK in the end, eh?

I say all this not to criticise Hawkins, but to point out that Neale has actually been travelling much better than Hawkins this year, and just as well if not better than Hawkins (and many other gun key forwards) at a similar career stage. He totally deserved his spot, and is well and truly on track.
You did such a better job of making this point than I did 🙌😂

Will be interesting where Parf ends up, if no other afl club re-drafts him, his junior club North Adelaide won't hesitate in giving him a call ? Or like some indigenous territorians, head to fnq or to Perth. Not sure he would head back to Darwin.
Yeah I'd think the roosters would be on the phone. He'd smash it up in the SANFL

We’re in trouble if we’re playing Blitz in the ruck all year. Good for a pinch hit, but not permanently.

I hope Conway gets a really good run at it, and I suspect Stanley going around again is backup for him. Ideally 6-8 games if only because Conway’s body is not quite ready for a full 25 game season.
I think it's crucial to retain SDK for next year on that front. I can see Conway being heavily managed within game where he floats into the backline after centre bounces and swaps with SDK or Blitz. I can see us splitting stoppages between all 4 of Conway, Blitz, SDK, and Neale

So far we have off the Primary list:
- Hawkins, Touhy, Rohan, Parfitt, Willis, Foster (6)?
And the Rookie list:
- Jeka, Murdoch, Hardie (3)?

Is that right? I feel like we delisted and re-rookied Willis and/or Foster at some point.

I would like to see Duncan to retire now, but to continue on for next year shouldn't hurt our list management going forward..

Duncan, Stanley, Bews to retire end of 2025

Blicavs, Dangerfield, Guthrie (if makes it through 2025) to retire end of 2026..

Stewart, Cameron, Kolodjashnij to retire end of 2027..

... if we do add Jack Martin, that would be another player retiring before the 2028 season you would think, but still very manageable..

Not quit ready for a full 25 games, hopes are he can get through a block of faces with no injuries. I think they will try to get 3-4 game into him, rest him, and repeat…

On Martin, I have no doubts we'd have done our due diligence and had his body assessed. The fact we're considered the leader for his services would suggest we believe we can fix whatever issues have plagued him.

But it's still massive risk - an average of only playing 13 games per season is a huge red flag.

Did a medical on him yesterday, i'd imagine they wouldn't be interested if they didn't think they could get him right.

So far we have off the Primary list:
- Hawkins, Touhy, Rohan, Parfitt, Willis, Foster (6)?
And the Rookie list:
- Jeka, Murdoch, Hardie (3)?

Is that right? I feel like we delisted and re-rookied Willis and/or Foster at some point.

I would like to see Duncan to retire now, but to continue on for next year shouldn't hurt our list management going forward..

Duncan, Stanley, Bews to retire end of 2025

Blicavs, Dangerfield, Guthrie (if makes it through 2025) to retire end of 2026..

Stewart, Cameron, Kolodjashnij to retire end of 2027..

... if we do add Jack Martin, that would be another player retiring before the 2028 season you would think, but still very manageable..
Willis and foster both senior listed until yesterday

Undersized (underdeveloped) 20 year old kid hard as a cats head who at times displays outstanding vision and ball use.
Add in - without a tank?

Do I remember correctly if I say his first year was cruelled by a lower body injury, hence may have lost conditioning.

Anyway. Building his tank is his priority . Can play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're losing Hawkins, Tuohy and Rohan as experienced players. Parfitt is gone as depth. Then turfed a bunch of guys who were just playing VFL and not going to make it.

Need to be careful with how you go about transitioning and re-modelling the list. Can't cut too deep all at once or you can end up in free fall; also need to be mindful not to keep too many old heads around with guaranteed spots in the seniors because that can turn out badly too. The two worst clubs of the last few years - North and WCE - illustrate the outcome of these contrasting approaches. North turfed everyone out at once and have never recovered; WCE left too many of their old stars hanging around and they all fell in a heap at the same time.

I think we could have afforded to part with another of those senior brigade, probably one of Stanley, Bews or Duncan. But we've already lost 4 guys who had been regulars in the side at some time recently (Tuohy, Hawkins, Parfitt and Rohan), so I think that's enough without being drastic. That said, I would expect and hope that most of them play out the majority of next year as VFL/depth players. Danger will obviously go on for a while yet and will be managed through the year. I doubt the club would want to make the call on Cam Guthrie just yet, given he hasn't had a clear run at it for two years, but 2025 will need to be make or break for him.

Stanley is a curious one given he was willing to finish last year, but may be continuing for a second following that call. He was pretty good towards the end of this year, but his body must be near shot to pieces and can't see him running out the year if he can even start it. But him staying onboard is perhaps a reflection of our belief of what rucks are out their for us to acquire during the trade/draft period. I'd still like us to pick up someone else, even if it's just insurance for Stanley and Conway if/when they break down.

I think you have to look at the list and the best 22 as two separate beasts. Hopefully CS does but I would say that would be doubtful, particularly in the case of Duncan.

Happy to keep the older players around on the list. We have enough list changes for our limited selections at the draft. Churning the kids that aren't up to it and keeping some senior players around for depth is a better way of going about it.

Picking Stanley and Bews at the end of the year was the right call IMO but round 1 next year neither should start in the team. Duncan either honestly, but he will start so that is a moot point.

He could be our Linc McCarthy.
Club spends a few years and countless resources getting his body right only for him to jump ship and be a consistent performer at a new club.
The analogy falls apart when you consider age, and the fact Linc was playing weekly in the VFL in his last season, but if you ignore those vital facts... it's exactly the same.

He could be our Linc McCarthy.
Club spends a few years and countless resources getting his body right only for him to jump ship and be a consistent performer at a new club.
The analogy falls apart when you consider age, and the fact Linc was playing weekly in the VFL in his last season, but if you ignore those vital facts... it's exactly the same.
Hasn't he done his knee?

It's strange the way the Hardie haters feel the urge to sink the boot in after he's been delisted. Wouldn't it be better just to leave it alone? Hardie was very good at VFL level, 4th in the VFL medal and Geelong's only player in the VFL team of the year. He should be admired for putting in week after week even though he never received the call up to the AFL team. He did make it as an emergency more than once which suggests he was rated by the club.
For me, it's more confusion than anything else.

We have midfield weaknesses and this bloke's racking up 25-30+ in the VFL....yet we don't give him a chance?

So maybe there's some fundamental flaw the club sees that keeps him restricted to VFL level.....yet why then name him as an emergency for AFL several times?

So the club DO perhaps rate him, he's in the mix, maybe just needs some tweaks to his game....yet we delist him immediately the season ends?

The whole thing is a bit weird.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back