Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Not fussed if we don't get him but Oliver's logic seems slightly contradictory. Not sure you'd be meeting with other clubs if you're 100% happy and not going anywhere. Interesting spin occuring around this story.

If what he said is correct it’s just posturing if he wants Geelong. Melbourne telling him to look around and he tell em he’s happy to stay weakens Melbourne hand a bit. If they want him off the books they take a haircut, otherwise Oliver stays on huge cash and Melb can’t get rid of him.

If the Dees do actually want Oliver out and have been shopping him around behind his back, they can’t stand firm on keeping him unless they get a R1 for him.

If they want him out, they have almost zero leverage.

This Dee’s club is soooo bad atm.

Absolutely monkeys running it.

I feel they need to move him on and get it over with or this will carry on for years.
SNAP!!

I'm starting to think that Melbourne fans are slightly more delusional than Buildings fans - obviously but year is wrong in the initial tweet, but no one is paying anything close to this suggestion

Um, ok.

Well if that’s what you want, you can keep him at your clusterf*ck of a club, pay $6m over the next 6 years to a guy that your other star players don’t want there, who probably underperforms badly as a result, and deal with the complete cultural disintegration that ensues.

Oh, and enjoy the view of every other club’s ass from the bottom of the ladder too.

Please no on Oliver. The guy is cultural poison

We had a guy like that at the local club, and even at an amateur shitkicker level, the relief when he was removed was so palpable for everyone. One bad apple and all that
You’d think there would be a degree of due diligence going on behind the scenes.
What is the problem with him anyway. Is it a substance abuse issue ? Personality? Lack of application?

No he's not. And not our problem.
We can speculate all we want. But IF this happens I think we'll pay the full contract and there will be no 2 first round pics involved.

Pick 60ish. Thats it.

Better make sure we pay Humphries first though!
I agree the contract risk should reflect a low trade value. But as for his contract owing, Morris reported today his contract after TPP indexing was 10m over 7y which is 1.4mpa.

Um, ok.

Well if that’s what you want, you can keep him at your clusterf*ck of a club, pay $6m over the next 6 years to a guy that your other star players don’t want there, who probably underperforms badly as a result, and deal with the complete cultural disintegration that ensues.

Oh, and enjoy the view of every other club’s ass from the bottom of the ladder too.
Note to recruiter not to get you involved in negotiations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless he won’t be traded for a packet of chips.

He will if we are taking on most of his wage or it won't happen (assuming he doesn't agree to take a pay cut).

I don’t think it will be that straightforward. I think it will require at least our FF. Could be wrong. If it gets to that stage which is no certainty just yet.

Its basically the same idea I said. Do we prefer to get him for zero ..and take all his money ….or do we prefer to pay a pick and protect our cap.

Although some dislike it … my bet is the club would back themselves to finish top6 …if we add Smith and Oliver… and then have a cap capable of attacking FA’s in 2025..

The key is how much money do Melb hold..and that probably relates to how much we pay in trade

Is it possible that Smith got wind of cats looking at Oliver and doesnt like it hence the delay, Smith may not want to associate with people like that considering his past issues.

Did you see his instagram photo from last week? I doubt that's an issue.

It'll be amusing to reflect on the posters who are so against taking Smith/Oliver.

If it comes to fruition, it'll be a joy to watch them have to turn their opinions around.

For me, I'm Switzerland. I'll let the club do what it does and hopefully be happy with the outcome.

Oliver might prefer to remain at Dees, yet the club is selling him, offloading him. Seems clear, the writing is in big, flashing, neon lights.

Also, if Geelong previously spoke to Oliver, are there mixed messages? Did Oliver dislike Geelong? Was salary cut too much?

If you’re not wanted, it’s time to seek a new adventure. Make the most of an opportunity with the mighty Cats.

Either way, as I keep saying, MFC to absorb $$$ + Geelong to increase Oliver’s salary on performance, accordingly. Could work out well for Oliver.

I’d say we will know a lot more in the next 48-72 hrs whether this will have any legs. But from what I’m hearing it’s looking increasingly likely that Oliver will seek to leave MFC.

Its basically the same idea I said. Do we prefer to get him for zero ..and take all his money ….or do we prefer to pay a pick and protect our cap.

Although some dislike it … my bet is the club would back themselves to finish top6 …if we add Smith and Oliver… and then have a cap capable of attacking FA’s in 2025..

The key is how much money do Melb hold..and that probably relates to how much we pay in trade

I have no knowledge of that side of things. What a likely trade or how much we/they would split the contract if he moved to us. It’s so messy. But as it stands at the moment some massive bridges would need to be mended for Oliver to play for Melb in ‘25.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back