Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

No.

Why are you so keen to pigeonhole my opinion into one basket or the other?

I think Bailey Smith is a risk worth taking. I think Clayton Oliver is not.
I think we’ve got no idea of the full set of facts here. I’m saying we should trust the club with the best track record in the business to make the right call.

At the end of the day as crazy as it sounds Melbourne may very well be prepared to pay up to 600k a year to offload him

Otherwise they are paying 1.3 mil to keep him
I think the only way to walk this back is if the board sacks Pert.

They've painted themselves into a pretty tight orner

To some degree, this is an astonishing own goal from Melbourne. The club that has lurched from one crisis to another all season will today consider whether it makes one of the biggest calls in recent trade history and explores a deal with Geelong on superstar onballer Clayton Oliver.

For the past 24 hours, the Demons’ top brass has been considering what was the least worst outcome.

Keeping an angry and disenchanted Oliver on its books for next season after dangling him as trade bait two years in a row, or getting 50 cents in the dollar back on a trade with the Cats?

The risk with keeping Oliver is that his situation could deteriorate further if he is not fully invested or feeling supported at Melbourne next year, and right now he feels let down.

As it stands, if Oliver attends the club’s best and fairest on Friday night it would only be out of a sense of loyalty to his teammates.

But the brilliant ball-winner is steaming, and Melbourne is now weighing up whether to pull the trigger on a blockbuster switch that remains incredibly complex and difficult to pull off.

His manager, Nick Gieschen from Connors Sports, is an influential figure at probably the most powerful management stable in the game.

History says they get it done, even if Melbourne is reluctant to play ball and still somewhat afraid of the consequences.

The Cats are sitting back in their comfiest leather couches down the highway and are smoking the pipes on this one, trying to hide their smiles.

Geelong will have to give a future first-round pick for one of the best on-ballers in the game, which is as cheap as a half-price fridge in the Boxing Day sales.

Geelong also has one of the best psychologists in football, David Williams, who could you believe, was also Melbourne’s psychologist between 2013-2019 before joining the Cats.

It is not a stretch to say if anyone knows Oliver and his issues well, it’s almost certainly Williams. What an ace to have up your sleeve.

The Cats think they can make this work with Bailey Smith and Oliver, who could both have some significant points to prove at new clubs.

-----

The rest of the article is much more Melbourne focused

That is a very nice read

However as Kevin Sheedy said when we he was coaching , every football journalist when they write a story , in brackets after their name they should put which club they barrack for , and in this instance Jay Clark should have Geelong in brackets because thats who he barracks for

That is the biggest fluff piece ever written about Geelong

That would make for a very very boring draft and trade internet forum.
As would me not calling out unnecessary risk aversion when it comes to one of the best five AFL mids of the last five years. :D

That is a very nice read

However as Kevin Sheedy said when we he was coaching , every football journalist when they write a story , in brackets after their name they should put which club they barrack for , and in this instance Jay Clark should have Geelong in brackets because thats who he barracks for

That is the biggest fluff piece ever written about Geelong
Jay Clark barracks for Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im pretty confident both gone before our 2 round pick .

What do you think about Cody Anderson..

..and I suspect ..considering the age of Stanley and Blitz , Hawkins gone …SamDek mentioned in trade we will have to look to add height
He could be amazing- fear for his safety once he hits the big time. 100% + effort. Not so classy wrt disposals, but he's going to set the tone. Reminds me of Jack Viney.

Last edited:
😹 😹 😹 🤦🏻‍♀️

I had a guernsey with ‘Kitty 9 Lives’ on it

Menzel wore #10 😩
This is my little girls Guernsey I got her for her 4th birthday (I got a couple of sizes bigger so it would fit for more than 6 weeks). Must have done ok because she's still wearing it and just turned 5. That's us on our way to Rd 23 v the eagles this season. Her fav player is/was Tom Hawkins and she was so hyped up to see 'Tomma's' (as she calls him) last game. Couldn't bare to tell her that he didn't get up for the game so just told her that Jez was Tomma so imagine her excitement seeing 'Tomma' kick 9 at her first AFL game. Was a beautiful day, don't know hink we'll ever forget it 😂🥰
F@#k I love this club. What sort of deranged lunatic would you have to be to support anyone else?

Attachments

• 20240824_131230.jpg
    20240824_131230.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19

To some degree, this is an astonishing own goal from Melbourne. The club that has lurched from one crisis to another all season will today consider whether it makes one of the biggest calls in recent trade history and explores a deal with Geelong on superstar onballer Clayton Oliver.

For the past 24 hours, the Demons’ top brass has been considering what was the least worst outcome.

Keeping an angry and disenchanted Oliver on its books for next season after dangling him as trade bait two years in a row, or getting 50 cents in the dollar back on a trade with the Cats?

The risk with keeping Oliver is that his situation could deteriorate further if he is not fully invested or feeling supported at Melbourne next year, and right now he feels let down.

As it stands, if Oliver attends the club’s best and fairest on Friday night it would only be out of a sense of loyalty to his teammates.

But the brilliant ball-winner is steaming, and Melbourne is now weighing up whether to pull the trigger on a blockbuster switch that remains incredibly complex and difficult to pull off.

His manager, Nick Gieschen from Connors Sports, is an influential figure at probably the most powerful management stable in the game.

History says they get it done, even if Melbourne is reluctant to play ball and still somewhat afraid of the consequences.

The Cats are sitting back in their comfiest leather couches down the highway and are smoking the pipes on this one, trying to hide their smiles.

Geelong will have to give a future first-round pick for one of the best on-ballers in the game, which is as cheap as a half-price fridge in the Boxing Day sales.

Geelong also has one of the best psychologists in football, David Williams, who could you believe, was also Melbourne’s psychologist between 2013-2019 before joining the Cats.

It is not a stretch to say if anyone knows Oliver and his issues well, it’s almost certainly Williams. What an ace to have up your sleeve.

The Cats think they can make this work with Bailey Smith and Oliver, who could both have some significant points to prove at new clubs.

-----

The rest of the article is much more Melbourne focused

I find this extremely sad for Oliver, who appears to be bearing a lot of ire for the turmoil at Dees.

Dees wanted Oliver gone last year. Imagine him feeling despised + unwanted this season? Add his hand injury.

Brodie Grundy left at the right time.
Ben Brown is retiring.
Alex Neal-Bullen is headed to Adelaide Crows.
Adam Tomlinson is likely to depart as a free agent.
Kysaiah Pickett hates living in Melbourne + is homesick.
In August, Petracca + Viney were rumoured to leave. Viney re-signed until end of 2028. Petracca wanted to leave, had physical + mental health issues. Robbo reported, on AFL 360 that some teammates were “frustrated” with Petracca. There was media speculation he’d pursue AFL ‘grievance process’ requiring Petracca to prove that the club's treatment of him constituted a breach of contract. All resolved + he re-signed until the end of 2029.

My point is, with so much internal strife, the club assured the media that Oliver was wanted, he only discovered on Monday, Pert was ringing other clubs to ascertain interest in him.

I’m not excusing any bad behaviour, just looking to discover why he acted out as a way to vent painful emotions + frustration.

Both. The guy is clearly out of shape for a footballer, and there have been issues with his adherence to medical schedules too

He's actually got a reputation as an obsessive trainer. Clearly when he had his mental health issues earlier this year his fitness fell away. But I think you can be pretty confident that if his head is ok (and bringing him into an environment such as ours I'm confident that will help in this regard) he will be a professional trainer. You have to also remember this is a guy that has played 10 seasons of footy - 9 of which have been done without any significant issue. He is capable of doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back