Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Perhaps you are confining yourself to pure consideration of his skill. But I would say that his leadership on the field was absolutely elite from the very earliest days. I've certainly watched players over the years with better skills than him. But I've never seen anyone come in and lead on the paddock from early in his debut season like the skipper.
I also think Selwood had elite spacing, elite clearance work, elite tackling, elite spread, elite vision, elite anticipation, elite field kicking (20-40 metres), elite footy IQ, elite decision making, amongst his elite courage, leadership and game understanding.

Melbourne look like they are coming around to the idea he might be out the door.

Why does so much of this get out to the media? It's such a weird scenario for them and Oliver now. There's clearly friction from both ends now, he's damned if does and damned if he doesn't and I feel Melbourne have created the scenario.

Not making any insinuations here. Just one for the history buffs. Has there ever been a year where the sexiest player in the league and the unsexiest player in the league joined the same club in the one off-season?
In 1999 draft, Corey Enright + Cameron Ling joined Geelong.

Cam’s wife Nicole was teased the Footy Show that he was fugly. Nicole was delightful, replied that Cam was sexy (or similar).

Why does so much of this get out to the media? It's such a weird scenario for them and Oliver now. There's clearly friction from both ends now, he's damned if does and damned if he doesn't and I feel Melbourne have created the scenario.
I read a Dees thread on another website, where fans thought there was a leak from a player. ‘Apparently’ at a player only meeting, confidential information was leaked to the media. Petracca was blamed. It was during the time he wanted to leave 🤷🏻‍♀️

He's actually got a reputation as an obsessive trainer. Clearly when he had his mental health issues earlier this year his fitness fell away. But I think you can be pretty confident that if his head is ok (and bringing him into an environment such as ours I'm confident that will help in this regard) he will be a professional trainer. You have to also remember this is a guy that has played 10 seasons of footy - 9 of which have been done without any significant issue. He is capable of doing it.
He’s had two poor years, Melbourne were shopping him around at the end of last year too.

Oh it’d be boring if we all agreed.

Speaking of - I would have Dusty, Trac, Bont, Brayshaw, Daicos, Neale, Butters etc all ahead.
You’ll be surprised that I strongly disagree. :D

Dusty peaked around 2019. Brayshaw is meh in this company. Daicos is two seasons in. Butters needs another 1-2.

No.

Why are you so keen to pigeonhole my opinion into one basket or the other?

I think Bailey Smith is a risk worth taking. I think Clayton Oliver is not.

I'm willing to back the club but that's my thoughts too.

Smith is worth the risk. Oliver would have to be extraordinarily cheap or the reality to be miles different to what's been reported for me to be willing to pull the trigger. We don't have all the information though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a watch of this.. Jenkins knows alot about Geelong.. And he goes on Oliver doesn't have to bring the Melbourne contract to Geelong, he can agree to a new contract from Geelong, which could be alot less than what Melbourne has got in there contract

He’s had two poor years, Melbourne were shopping him around at the end of last year too.

That’s not quite true. The murmurs of him leaving were only after his off field issues which occurred AFTER that season had ended. His form that season was fine.

This is getting really messy for the MFC and this is what happens when you are in denial about your clubs culture to the point that it makes a club delusional.

The club should have listened to their former president a couple of years ago rather than trying to shove everything under the rug and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Josh Jenkins said Ted C got delisted, right?

People need to also realise a million a year 3 or 4 years ago is the new 1.3/1.4m with the cap increases. Geelong also has the advantage of having a number of declining vets taking less money in their twilight years, and a number of young players on small money playing beyond their years. I reckon we only have 3 players up towards 800-900, stewart, holmes and cameron. We have money from the 9 players who have moved on. Duncan probably on a minimum contract. And a bunch of rookies/cat b/young draftees.

We have the cap room to bring oliver on a mil a year, easily imo. Maybe a little more. If we can get melbourne to pay even 100- 200 and maybe we get him to take a little less than what he’s on now and we are flying.

Its all do-able.

Disclaimer- opinions are like a-holes etc etc

I keep going back in my head to the 2021 prelim, Oliver absolutely cooked us out of the middle in the second half, was the most dominant player on the ground, id love some of that Clarry

You could find games where Jack Steven tore us apart too. Imagine committing to 6 years at $1.3m or even 6 at $900k and he ends up like that. It would be diabolical.

This is my little girls Guernsey I got her for her 4th birthday (I got a couple of sizes bigger so it would fit for more than 6 weeks). Must have done ok because she's still wearing it and just turned 5. That's us on our way to Rd 23 v the eagles this season. Her fav player is/was Tom Hawkins and she was so hyped up to see 'Tomma's' (as she calls him) last game. Couldn't bare to tell her that he didn't get up for the game so just told her that Jez was Tomma so imagine her excitement seeing 'Tomma' kick 9 at her first AFL game. Was a beautiful day, don't know hink we'll ever forget it 😂🥰
F@#k I love this club. What sort of deranged lunatic would you have to be to support anyone else?
Imagine all the kids who have been exposed to the success of the club in the last 20 years. My girls saw a flag when 8 and 12 …. an amazing period in the clubs history.

its probably a contributing factor in now having 90,000 members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back