Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Whilst nothing is real until there is an official announcement one way or the other... I still absolutely expect this to happen or be hotly negotiated at worst.

Don't take much from the Dees apparently saying they won't entertain it, the wording has left the door ajar enough. It was just to calm the storm before the BnF... will ramp up again rapidly in the next 48 hours I would think
Agree 100%. I would agree even more, if that's possible, if there was an official announcement. I know from experience what its like when you've "checked out"

Melbourne are like those blokes who want to be in an open relationship only for them to quickly find out how easy it is for the missus to pick up and that no one wants them.

Hey Clayton how about we explore our options, an hour later “cool sounds good, Geelong want me im going there”…. “Wait… no come back”

Holy shit spot on, the amount of Reddit posts with this exact situation is hilarious and Melbourne fitting that analogy to a tee.

Go explore Clarry!

WAIT! NOT LIKE THAT!

Tomorrow’s headline:

Clayton Oliver wins 2024 Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Trophy. However, Oliver was not at the event to collect the award.

🤞🏻 🤞🏻 🤞🏻

Yes, I’m a petty b1tch 🤭

I think you're missing quite an important piece of information here: Oliver is getting paid 1.1 MIL - 1.4 MIL over the next 6 years, whether his club likes him or not. Contracts work both ways.

If Oliver truly feels slighted by his club shopping him a second time (his manager and Connors Sports as a whole might be incredibly pissed and driving a lot of this too), then what's stopping him phoning it in, rocking up to pre-season overweight again, and just getting his weekly check for 80 grand, and treating it as job not a career?

His reputation is being dragged through the fire right now by Pert and co. even though he thought things were turning around, based on media reports and a podcast he did a week ago. He's now been blindsided, and has probably had a gutful. What obligation does he have to interests that are so unstable and so inwardly focused, like the leadership at MFC?

We're all just humans after all. Contract or not, if we end up hating our jobs and want a fresh start, we'll do anything to get there. Would not surprise me in the least if he really has had enough, and completely blows everything up, starting with a scorched earth mediated trade and a proposed new contract that counts the MFC out completely. Something along the lines of 900K with no indexation, would mean Geelong pay his full salary, they get out of the contract, and we give up something like a Future 1st with a Future 3rd coming back (for example).

This isn't impossible, it just entirely depends on what bridges have been burned, and how badly he wants out. If you're liking posts on Instagram that state you'll be playing with your new teammates in Smith and Martin, he's already pretty far gone. What does he care what happens to his reputation, if he's now forced to stay in a place that doesn't want him, in an environment that is purportedly toxic. He can take his cheque, head to the pub or the pokies, snort some blow, and effectively retire early.

If you're unhappy, you really stop giving a shit about the outside noise, lol. He'll then be worth negative assets next year (paying Pick 5 to get rid of him), if they take that gamble. This is on the MFC, not Geelong or Oliver. If they have no loyalty to him, why should he have loyalty to them?
Didn’t have to go to will today?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s arrived at their B&F and Dees are categorically saying he isn’t going anywhere.

So they told him to look around but are refusing to let him leave....

He's going to be so 'all in' on playing for the jumper next year it'll be astonishing 🙄

He’s arrived at their B&F and Dees are categorically saying he isn’t going anywhere.
Morris is stating the board are adamant they aren't trading him (so we know where he has a source) And McClure is running with Oliver still isn't giving up hope of being traded (so he clearly has a source in the Oliver camp)

Gunna be a fun couple of weeks

Old poster who got a new account to discuss this fascinating trade period, who has been following our year with keen interest - and has been amazed at just how on the money you've been with absolutely everything.

Alex Davies interest - tick
Bailey Smith interest - tick
Clayton Oliver interest (when all and sundry said you were wrong) - tick

I was particularly impressed, with when you alluded to Oliver wanting to stay, and Geelong staying interested, but Melbourne shopping him - which was such intimate detail that it really did seem like you had access to someone close to the industry (with strong knowledge of ours and other clubs' situations and dealings).

So kudos to you mate. Not a long-time poster, but you've blown all the other so called 'ITK's' out of the water, when a lot dismissed you - yet you stuck firm.

I am particularly interested though, in if this means Oliver will go scorched earth in the coming days? If he doesn't attend the B + F, does that mean he'll request a trade/tear up his contract and sign with us for unders/force Melbourne to trade him citing irreconcilable differences? Him liking the Instagram post of Bailey and Martin joining alongside him, just points to someone who is already checked out, and looking for a fresh start.

Thoughts?

Thanks, genuinely appreciate the appreciation because when things don’t pan out, people will kick the boots with the cynicism, which is fair to a degree with how much crap is on here in general.

This Oliver one was crazy for me because I’ve been getting fed info from either side of the fence. That inside on info on Melbourne I will lose a bit of next season but gain elsewhere. I have quite a few contacts from players, to admin and for one club a coach. But ironically the coach of a certain club I don’t get as much info out of what is going to happen in trade dealings in real time, as he has bigger fish to fry than informing mates about dealings haha. But I do find out some very interesting gossip from him about how he feels about certain players, which can determine whether someone will become available or not.

As for Oliver’s next move, all I can say is it’s expected he won’t be there. But I honestly don’t know what his next move will be. He might roll up there tonight and be all smiles. But he’s fuming. That I can entirely attest to. He wants out. And he’s made that obvious, how obvious he goes with making that point will be fascinating.

But one thing is he has mature management. They might tell him to go, suck it up and make a good impression. Then after the presentation we find a way out for you. The fact he wants Geelong, who are also mature, makes me think they’ll try to find ways to do this without going scorched earth. But as for Oliver as an individual, it’s hard to predict his next move. I wouldn’t blame him if he came out and said, “I’m not playing here next year. You don’t want me. So find me a new home.” But Geelong won’t be in his ear telling him to go that way. It’s a big wait and see but this is definitely not case closed like some journalists are presenting it. The damage is done. Emotions are high. It really is one of the most peculiar and fascinating stories. Just makes the mind boggle how a club can be ran so poorly. The contrast between Geelong and Melbourne is incredible. Let’s strap in and see what comes of tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Morris is stating the board are adamant they aren't trading him (so we know where he has a source) And McClure is running with Oliver still isn't giving up hope of being traded (so he clearly has a source in the Oliver camp)

Gunna be a fun couple of weeks
Two of the few Melbourne supporters Tom Morris and Clint going hard with the
‘fanning’

What about Tom sticking one to the Cats saying todays unexpected GWS compo pick has made the Bailey Smith deal that much harder and is going to keep the cats occupied. It’s one spot you tool. Better throw in another 1st rounder

How about an actual jurno question about how they feel the club is going at the minute instead of asking Melb players how much they love Clayton

Think I need to see what the strategy is for helping the minnow and expansion clubs being pillaged and burnt to the ground without compo. Otherwise, sure get rid of it and be willing to take the comp back to the big Vic teams + Bris, Syd, 2 x SA and 2 x WA. The likes of Norf and St Kilda just won’t survive.
I think you need do more off field for equalisation. Handing over draft picks is theatre for the fans but bad clubs will burn the picks and no one is happy.

I would ptovide additional development coaching resources for teams finishing outside the 8 and double whatever it is for bottom 4.

Think 2 year development coaches paid for by the AFL, kind of like rookie listed coaches. If you're always outside the 8 you permanently have 1 more development coach than other teams. If you're bottom 4 you get 2.

Say a side finished in the 8 this year, then 10th, then 10th again, then 15th, then 17th, then 15th, then 11th, then 8th, then 5th, then 5th the number of additional coaches you have is

8th: 0 going into the next year
10th: 1
10th: 2
15th: 3
17th: 4
15th: 4
11th: 3
8th: 1
5th: 0

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad