Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

I think that is all very true, JJ. You won't see Oliver or his management shut it down IMO, because they clearly want it to happen as you say.

But at the end of the day, they're powerless given he is a contracted player, and despite the appalling way the Dees have handled everything, they're well within their rights to hold him to the contract he signed.

I think we thought it might have been a fire sale; it's not quite a that point (yet). Maybe next year.
I disagree that Oliver is powerless... but maybe he just doesn't want out bad enough to go scorched earth on the Dees.

If CO came out and said publicly that he can't stand certain things about the club and doesn't think he will get the best out of himself there, then I can't see how the Dees don't trade him.

I don't know exactly what has happened behind the scenes and CO might be the worst of them... So maybe he isn't willing to throw some people under the bus, being that he might be the bus driver (I don't know).

He might not mind Goodwin.

Imagine if CO made it known to the Dees higher-ups that he was going to out drug takers at the club if they don't trade him... sure it's unlikely because they are probably his mates... but he has some moves he could make to force the Dees hand.

I just don't think he wants out bad enough to go all out on them.

But he does have some power imo.

I think that is all very true, JJ. You won't see Oliver or his management shut it down IMO, because they clearly want it to happen as you say.

But at the end of the day, they're powerless given he is a contracted player, and despite the appalling way the Dees have handled everything, they're well within their rights to hold him to the contract he signed.

I think we thought it might have been a fire sale; it's not quite a that point (yet). Maybe next year.
I'm not sure another year on the clock will make all that much difference, actually. If he plays really well, the asking price is going to either stay much the same or increase (given the length of his deal). And if he really starts to underperform or continues to act out, surely Geelong can't be entirely convinced about the ongoing merits of picking him up.

All of which means that the ideal outcome for us if we remain interested might be a massively 'meh' year from him in 2025, on and off the field. That could bring his price point within reach and also give some credence to the contention that he's not a lost cause on the behavioural front.

So here's to 7 Brownlow votes and no off-field indiscretions from Oliver in 2025...

It wont happen but in fairness we havent heard anything really about the Bailey Smith deal apart from what the media spews out
But at least Smith, who is uncontracted, officially declared Geelong as his destination club

It's either incompetence or conspiracy to create the conditions for a coaching clean out next year
I think it's also being caught slightly on the hop. Apparently the Brownlow was a bad event for him - that's only a couple of weeks ago.

I reckon he'll be dealt out a la Harley Bennell at the end of next year.

I can’t blame them this mind boggling incompetence

I haven’t got a clue where’s the upside to any of this is for WCE
From their perspective, they have turned one player (pick 3) into two AFL grade players and possibly a third (pick 12).

Most importantly, they have recruited two players who really want to be there and will stick around. They might be thinking that the top choices in the draft are all Victorian, and just recruiting another green kid will result in another Go Home.

They probably field six to twelve players who aren't AFL standard every week at the moment. This now drops to four to ten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From their perspective, they have turned one player (pick 3) into two AFL grade players and possibly a third (pick 12).

Most importantly, they have recruited two players who really want to be there and will stick around. They might be thinking that the top choices in the draft are all Victorian, and just recruiting another green kid will result in another Go Home.

They probably field six to twelve players who aren't AFL standard every week at the moment. This now drops to four to ten.

Spin it anyway you like, it’s a putrid trade however you look at it

Maybe but geez they overpaid big time they are rightly melting over this

Imagine being a supporter of a club with pick 3 in its hand. And you turn that into Liam Baker and Matt Owies... I'd be pretty pissed off. As Geelong supporters who have never seen a pick so high, it's unfathomable to be so reckless with it.

Baker and Owies aren't bad players but they aren't pick 3 good. This reminds me of old AFL video games where you could bundle a bunch of average players together and offer them to the club with pick 1, and the dumb AI would accept.

No, I don't think he was going to be delisted. Offered a contract on lower terms, yes - but never delisted.

Owies probably worth a pick in the 30s, Baker a pick in the 20s IMO.
Owies wasnt offered a contract from Blues as far as I know

Last edited:
No, I don't think he was going to be delisted. Offered a contract on lower terms, yes - but never delisted.

Owies was going to be delisted by all account as far as I’m aware he wasn’t even offered a new contract from my understanding

Owies would’ve been a DFA. Eagles easily couldve used the threat of the PSD with baker. No idea why you’re trying to rationalise it. Everyone on earth thinks it’s a horrible trade. If it were Geelong would you be happy lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back