Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

The crazy thing is how most of the Doggies people thought the majority of the Geelong board were being greedy with Smith.

But plenty of people here were saying #17 + F2.

In the end… we landed Smith for much less. Basically just #17.

Geelong board looking extremely reasonable… I’d go as far to say a bit soft and generous.

Lucky Mackie goes hard.

Absolutely knew (and said) Mack had them over a barrel and was not going anywhere near Futures.
Academy awards for all involved, and free tyres for a year.
At least it gave us 45 pages here of supposition and occasional argument.
And Miss Kitty's boy now too..... since she was the first to change her avatar (prematurely but wisely).

Now for something fun, now that the Smith deal is done!

From the whispers I can gather, this is how I reckon it shapes up post draft/trade/ssp/, as an absolute hail mary guess:

OUT:

Tuohy
Hawkins
Rohan
Parfitt
Murdoch
Foster
Jeka
Hardie
Willis

IN:

B. Smith
J. Martin
C. Bourke (Cat B Irish Rookie)
Jack Whitlock KPF - Future 1st swapped with Richmond for Pick 18 -
Lachie Jacques HBF - Pick 40 (In from 45 after bids, and a Falcons kid)
Lachlan Blakiston Mature Age Ruck - Pick 53 (In from 57 after bids)
Well special - Pick 75 (Into around 60ish after passes/more bid matches)
DFA/SSP (Curtis Taylor possible?)
Rookie spot remaining for MSD

Besides the first 2, and maybe Bourke and Blakiston, absolute shot in the dark and won't even get close - but fun to guess!

BUT WE HAVE SMITH! Huzzah!

From the whispers I can gather, this is how I reckon it shapes up post draft/trade/ssp/, as an absolute hail mary guess:

OUT:

Tuohy
Hawkins
Rohan
Parfitt
Murdoch
Foster
Jeka
Hardie
Willis

IN:

B. Smith
J. Martin

Besides the first 2, and maybe Bourke and Blakiston, absolute shot in the dark and won't even get close - but fun to guess!

Anything much bout cillian bourke??

Knowing how we tend to approach the later stages of the draft, and the fact it’s only 2 spots back in reality… I’ll bet any money that we end up taking the same player we would’ve anyway.

Which means it really was just pick 17.

Exactly. But some semblance of good will for Power to save face. Exactly like the Ratugolea and Clark trades...as I told the small sub-section of unhinged Doggies supporters like (MAD) Doggy, Pencil Dick, and threenewessays

OUT:

Tuohy
Hawkins
Rohan
Parfitt
Murdoch
Foster
Jeka
Hardie
Willis

IN:

B. Smith
J. Martin

Sounds awesome, how confident do you reckon?

Trading the future first lends to the idea that we want a free agent for 'free' next year per se - while also rating a kid - so that checks out.

Edit: NVM, just read it's a shot in the dark!!

Who cares, it's fun to speculate. I suspect we'll trade back in regardless.

OUT:

Tuohy
Hawkins
Rohan
Parfitt
Murdoch
Foster
Jeka
Hardie
Willis

IN:

B. Smith
J. Martin

There's been a fair bit of talk about Richmond trying to move some of their picks from this year into next to spread them out. Plus it might not be good list management to have 8 players all come out of contract at the same time. So there might be something in trying to extract a first rounder out of Richmond this year for our future 1st next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why did the Bulldogs want Kennedy?

They wanted cheap depth as macrae and Daniel were on bloated $ they clearly want to clear cap to help retain Richards etc. Kennedy gives them decent depth for much less $.

The bigger question is why would Kennedy want to go where he might not get a game but family wise he didn't want to leave Melbourne so I suppose that narrowed his options.

OUT:

Tuohy
Hawkins
Rohan
Parfitt
Murdoch
Foster
Jeka
Hardie
Willis

IN:

B. Smith
J. Martin

I wouldn't in a million years trade our future 1st this year.

Our late picks will come in a bit with bids which helps.
Jacques I like a lot although I wouldn't be surprised if either 45 or 57 is Jack Henderson, I think we will need to take him before the rookie draft if we want him-another club may go early.

Any details on the contract we have given Bailey? Until we know those details we should hold off on the high fives.

It may take a few days to confirm or hear of contract details for Smith, but surely adding someone of his calibre for what's essential a single first round pick is a win

Kitty now that you got your dreamboat Bailey to the club keep your hands where we can see them 😉
You’re blaming ME?

Humph!!!

Bailey needs to keep his hands off me + get to the back of the queue 😻

I wouldn't in a million years trade our future 1st this year.

Our late picks will come in a bit with bids which helps.
Jacques I like a lot although I wouldn't be surprised if either 45 or 57 is Jack Henderson, I think we will need to take him before the rookie draft if we want him-another club may go early.
Why wouldn’t you trade our FF?

I think I’ve maintained all along at the end of the day, we all know Bailey is worth more than the 17 that was traded but it’d be foolish of Geelong to offer anymore considering the very small risk involved with getting him at that pick in the draft, you don’t win premierships with pleasantries so expecting anymore was foolish.

Trading Smith and Macrae for Kennedy and pick 17, then fleecing North for pick 25 for Caleb Daniel all the while saving 1.6m in salary cap space is probably a good result in the end.

It’s been very pleasant in this thread over the last few weeks. Thanks for all the welcoming chats and wish you all a happy off season!

You have just been a breath of fresh air mate. Realistic about the situation, not overly psychotic about it, and always willing to look at both sides.

Welcome here anytime!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back