Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Now for something fun, now that the Smith deal is done!

From the whispers I can gather, this is how I reckon it shapes up post draft/trade/ssp/, as an absolute hail mary guess:

OUT:

Tuohy
Hawkins
Rohan
Parfitt
Murdoch
Foster
Jeka
Hardie
Willis

IN:

B. Smith
J. Martin
C. Bourke (Cat B Irish Rookie)
Jack Whitlock KPF - Future 1st swapped with Richmond for Pick 18 -
Lachie Jacques HBF - Pick 40 (In from 45 after bids, and a Falcons kid)
Lachlan Blakiston Mature Age Ruck - Pick 53 (In from 57 after bids)
Well special - Pick 75 (Into around 60ish after passes/more bid matches)
DFA/SSP (Curtis Taylor possible?)
Rookie spot remaining for MSD

Besides the first 2, and maybe Bourke and Blakiston, absolute shot in the dark and won't even get close - but fun to guess!

BUT WE HAVE SMITH! Huzzah!
Like the look of that. Jack Henderson has been mentioned as a potential mature aged option. I’d be looking at Jacob Heron as previously mentioned too.

Think we’d be more likely to only get a pick in the 20’s for our FF. I wonder if there is more likelihood we trade our F2 back into this year?

Why wouldn’t you trade our FF?

Fair enough its all opinion.

Mine is if the right player gets to a number that we have pre arranged. then we wil trade it. The quality of next years draft is unlikely to be as good as this year. Its worth the risk of us back sliding if we get the right kid.

Like the look of that. Jack Henderson has been mentioned as a potential mature aged option. I’d be looking at Jacob Heron as previously mentioned too.

Think we’d be more likely to only get a pick in the 20’s for our FF. I wonder if there is more likelihood we trade our F2 back into this year?

I reckon we draft a mature somewhere either Davidson ..who had a good state combine .. Jack Henderson ..or someone else..

Curtis Taylor well worth a try.

It may take a few days to confirm or hear of contract details for Smith, but surely adding someone of his calibre for what's essential a single first round pick is a win
It completely depends on the contract.

you cannot assess the acquisition without knowing how much we are paying.

Mine is if the right player gets to a number that we have pre arranged. then we wil trade it. The quality of next years draft is unlikely to be as good as this year. Its worth the risk of us back sliding if we get the right kid.

That’s my rationale as well. Next years draft is a bit ho hum - all the good kids are academy kids - so I’d be all for trading our FF in a Holmes scenario.

I think I’ve maintained all along at the end of the day, we all know Bailey is worth more than the 17 that was traded but it’d be foolish of Geelong to offer anymore considering the very small risk involved with getting him at that pick in the draft, you don’t win premierships with pleasantries so expecting anymore was foolish.

Trading Smith and Macrae for Kennedy and pick 17, then fleecing North for pick 25 for Caleb Daniel all the while saving 1.6m in salary cap space is probably a good result in the end.

It’s been very pleasant in this thread over the last few weeks. Thanks for all the welcoming chats and wish you all a happy off season!
Can we keep you?

Now for something fun, now that the Smith deal is done!

From the whispers I can gather, this is how I reckon it shapes up post draft/trade/ssp/, as an absolute hail mary guess:

OUT:

Tuohy
Hawkins
Rohan
Parfitt
Murdoch
Foster
Jeka
Hardie
Willis

IN:

B. Smith
J. Martin
C. Bourke (Cat B Irish Rookie)
Jack Whitlock KPF - Future 1st swapped with Richmond for Pick 18 -
Lachie Jacques HBF - Pick 40 (In from 45 after bids, and a Falcons kid)
Lachlan Blakiston Mature Age Ruck - Pick 53 (In from 57 after bids)
Well special - Pick 75 (Into around 60ish after passes/more bid matches)
DFA/SSP (Curtis Taylor possible?)
Rookie spot remaining for MSD

Besides the first 2, and maybe Bourke and Blakiston, absolute shot in the dark and won't even get close - but fun to guess!

BUT WE HAVE SMITH! Huzzah!
Was thinking the same with our FF pick. Id be happy to trade it out for him. Then we can get his bro in a few years time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We just tell everyone that our future 1st is up for trade if they're interested. We then have a list of players we would be willing to do that trade for at the start of the night. If one of them is still on the table when someone offers up their pick for our future first then we pull the trigger.

ShadowCat Whitlock actually makes a lot of sense.

Let him develop in the VFL until Jez hangs them up, and either be a plug and play partner to Neale, or Neale replacement if he doesn't kick on as hoped.

Some won't like it, and that's fine, but it does sound like something we would do.

We would've built our spine through the draft:

• SDK
  • JHenry
  • COS
  • Conway/Edwards
  • Whitlock
  • Neale

While adding the finishing touches through trades and shrewd drafting (O Henry, Humphries, Holmes, Smith, Bruhn, Stengle, Miers, Butters?).

Might not all work out, as nothing is a guarantee, but you can at least see what the idea would be there.

I wouldn't in a million years trade our future 1st this year.

Our late picks will come in a bit with bids which helps.
Jacques I like a lot although I wouldn't be surprised if either 45 or 57 is Jack Henderson, I think we will need to take him before the rookie draft if we want him-another club may go early.
The only issue with our first rounder next year is that the top end of the draft is stacked with academy and father son's apparently. I'm not across the new points/bidding system next year but if we finish say top 4 next year it could end up being a mid 20's pick

ShadowCat Whitlock actually makes a lot of sense.

Let him develop in the VFL until Jez hangs them up, and either be a plug and play partner to Neale, or Neale replacement if he doesn't kick on as hoped.

Some won't like it, and that's fine, but it does sound like something we would do.

We would've built our spine through the draft:

• SDK
  • JHenry
  • COS
  • Conway/Edwards
  • Whitlock
  • Neale

While adding the finishing touches through trades and shrewd drafting (O Henry, Humphries, Holmes, Smith, Bruhn, Stengle, Miers, Butters?).

Might not all work out, as nothing is a guarantee, but you can at least see what the idea would be there.

Also about having a balanced list. We have seen a couple of talls depart so we will need coverage in that type of player.

The only issue with our first rounder next year is that the top end of the draft is stacked with academy and father son's apparently. I'm not across the new points/bidding system next year but if we finish say top 4 next year it could end up being a mid 20's pick

I'm not as off on next years pool as some people. But regardless we could miss the finals next year there's nothing that would be available in the teens this year for me that would excite me enough to justify the risk of trading that pick.

Blowing up the dees from the inside. Here’s to another year of melbourne imploding. Couldn’t happen to a more poorly run club. Still in complete denial.

Poor bastard, given a taste of Stanley's wide brown land and the best Cotton On catering money can buy.
Only to slink back into smoggy suburbia, under Green's big thumb. A zillionaire.
Good luck Clayton, but at 27, we probs won't do BBQ with you again.

Player wells wants at pick 38 will likely be available later
He will call out some unknow name. Everyone goes WHO?
Three years later he becomes another potential rising star.
This is the way of the Cats. Nurture and develop talent.
Always love your posts Heckler but I would add a critical element before mentioning nurture and develop - that is talent identification, particularly in WA and SA.
Our spotters in those States are truly elite😁💯

I haven’t been able to catch up on it all in here but awesome result for Geelong. To get Smith in at 17 and a slight move back is ridiculous given then market this year skewed by Gold Coast.

I wish Oliver would’ve come but not to be. As I said last Friday if it goes quiet over the weekend we know it’s over so wasn’t to be and I respect Oliver for that but also feel sorry for him because he wanted out but Melbourne’s positioning made him look like the bad guy.

Alas, we got Smith for a steal and have a full hand next year to make moves again. Reid won’t be loving what the Eagles done I’m sure…

Now to the draft. I’m hoping Jacques is there still at our first pick because he’s a special player. Highly underrated for whatever reason and I know we are into him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back