Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

I’d be happy to take Shanahan. We need KPF coverage and he, to me, looks a talent. Far better athletic profile than Foster.

Hynes the other that would interest me as I think he’s got a nice midfield/F50 mix. Tough too which is appealing.

Not a fan of Reid. Seen a fair bit of him and I just think he’s very vanilla. Lindsay is a good player but we are probably covered for his type.
Hynes looked tough but kind of slow to me, especially aerial contests he just pushed smaller bodies around and wasn't very agile when the ball was value his knees. I haven't watched a ton so maybe I've just missed his best work but it didn't scream afl traits to me.

I really think Hotton was tracking to be a top 5 pick pre ACL. I’ve seen him live a bit and he’s a jet. If we are going to have a crack at him that’s great though.

Yeah he is unreal. Looks good anywhere as well. But yeah I think the general feeling is he could slide and if he’s there in a realistic range we will make moves. But there’s every chance a club goes far too early for us to be a possibility in making a deal.

All I heard today was we are into him and looking to make that move because the belief is with all the other talent available he could slide more than expected because of the injury obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

]][emoji6]" data-quote="Pure_Ownage" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
We won't be able to trade in early enough. I'd say he's gone by / and no one will give us that for our fr (the best it gets us is a late r).
Even if we had kept [emoji[emoji6]] I think he would have been gone.
But I agree he's a Geelong type.

That’s not what I’m hearing. The belief is he will slide beyond those picks but honestly I think the clubs in that range should be taking him so I agree with your argument.

I’d be happy to take Shanahan. We need KPF coverage and he, to me, looks a talent. Far better athletic profile than Foster.

Hynes the other that would interest me as I think he’s got a nice midfield/F50 mix. Tough too which is appealing.

Not a fan of Reid. Seen a fair bit of him and I just think he’s very vanilla. Lindsay is a good player but we are probably covered for his type.

I agree with Reid. Reeks of Archie Perkins and like him I think he will get drafted too early.

That’s not what I’m hearing. The belief is he will slide beyond those picks but honestly I think the clubs in that range should be taking him so I agree with your argument.

I just think it's naive to expect he gets that far when st kilda have his brother (and need mids) and Richmond have so many picks they can risk and need a player of that type. And he's also a Jason Taylor type player. And I wouldn't discount freo as they take vic metro players.

Where I do believe you is I can see us rating him and if he's there at gws pick I can see us offering a future 1st (again no way would I risk it with an ageing list but I can see the club would) for 15 (and gws might sell) but I think he's gone well before then (and no way can we sell into the top 10).

He's slide due to the acl a bit though you'd think.
How far… Depends on where he slides too and if other clubs fall in love with certain players ..

…for example Id be tempted if I had the picks to take both the twins … even if it means you take someone a couple of picks early … then I have seen some phantoms on BF …. that a club like Rich with a heap of picks call a name like Stumpf very early (imo) Clubs do that sometimes… I can remember the was Sam Dek was always rated in the 20’s as I liked him in the champs…. and Geelong picked him at 19 …most thought it was an early call...

But …. the form of Ashcroft in coming back for Brisbane would remind all that its very possible to come back from a knee well. Would we go for two players with our earliest picks coming off knees?

I have heard that Geelong are really keen on Henderson but he has a lot of other interest in vic-whether we feel the need to take him with our first pick (45) depends on what we think others will do I suppose.
Bice obviously has interest given the combine invite.
I do think heron is re-draftable but it depends what clubs think. Woodcock equally deserves another go but who knows.

I quite like Keegan grey but I'm not sure if he has enough interest to get picked up.

Where do you see henderson in the side ?

A bit but I don’t think enough. What’s a realistic option to trade our F1? Probably one of the Tigers picks in the 20’s or possibly the Swans’ second pick? Reckon some club (probably the Tigers) will take him before we get an opportunity to trade.

This is the thing you can only picks who is there… make plans for if he is there …but plans for if he isn’t … have a group of names that we would activate a trade for … Most clubs would say its a fair bet that a pick in the early 20’s would be a good bet for our Fr1

I honestly don't know much about any kids in the upcoming draft. But if this draft has been talked up as there saying, as there is plenty of depth, I would think Mature age players in the VFL players won't get picked up till in the later picks in the draft

Yeah i do really like hynes. He's one I can see some clubs loving not and some rate.

To me Lindsay is just a class footballer..I agree probably not a positional need but I'd look.
I can also see why they might love Jacques but I feel like r1 is too early (although maybe 45 is too late). Potentially try and trade into the early 2nd and take him there?
I really like hannaford too but we are stacked for his position.

The tall fwd thing will be interesting. Historically the hit rate outside the top 10 isn't great. I agree with the other poster who said it depends on if we think we can get cadman in 26. If so we are probably better off to take mids and backs now. But if not then we probably need to take a kpf now and that would be a reason to trade back in early.
This us a weird draft in that there's 5 or 6 kpf including faull and gerreyn who have traits I like but I feel like all of them have enough flaws that they could bust so it's risky.

Lindsay has a nice ..left ..can he kick on his right?

I honestly believe our only way of getting back into R1 this year is to trade with Richmond. They currently have 7 R1 selections so I’m sure they’ll want to ideally spread out those selections over a couple of years. Getting our FR1 would guarantee them an earlier selection next year and there’s a reasonable chance of it being closer to top 10 if we have another 2023-like season. Most likely would be their last R1 selection (currently 23). Even for 23, I would trade our FR1 to get back in this year.

How is everyone so sure it's a good draft? 2024?

1. In a weak draft, prospects look like good prospects every second week, beating poor players.

2. In an average draft the best stand out and are easy to find.

3. In a strong deep draft with many good prospects the best don't stand out. Being good one week and beaten by a good opponent next week.

In fact, 1 and 3 look a bit similar.
People are also forgetting Richmond have the no1 pick but do not have access to the no1 player in the pool, which hurts…

After the no1 pick the consensus is it literally evens out quite a lot to the point the top 20 seems a pretty similar mix of midfielders.

Anyone finishing with a no1 pick would be gunning for a Reid or daicos type, not an even spread or just good footy player prospects.

I honestly believe our only way of getting back into R1 this year is to trade with Richmond. They currently have 7 R1 selections so I’m sure they’ll want to ideally spread out those selections over a couple of years. Getting our FR1 would guarantee them an earlier selection next year and there’s a reasonable chance of it being closer to top 10 if we have another 2023-like season. Most likely would be their last R1 selection (currently 23). Even for 23, I would trade our FR1 to get back in this year.
23 for our future first?? No way Jose.

Mid teens more likely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mid teens more likely
Ideally yes but no team in the mid teens will take our FR1 given the supposed depth/strength of this draft. Teams with only 1 R1 pick this year would be very unlikely to want to trade out of it. They know we’ll likely be contending again with the acquisition of Bailey Smith and the natural improvement in our under 23s.

If we have any Big Fish trades likely for next year, we want to keep our 2025 first.

If West Coast believe Reid will want to leave at the end of his 3 years, wouldn’t they be better off trading him next year when still under contract as they would get more and they would be able to draft/trade players a year earlier?
If they were contending, it would be different but they are nowhere near it.

If West Coast believe Reid will want to leave at the end of his 3 years, wouldn’t they be better off trading him next year when still under contract as they would get more and they would be able to draft/trade players a year earlier?
It does not take long to contend- look at Hawthorn- WCE could contend in 2026. Contend = finish top 8?

They might not think he will want to leave.

We are treating it as almost a fair accompli; I am not so sure.

Mid teens more likely

He's not that far off. Because clubs won't back us to slide (I think we will but they won't on history) the absolute Max we would get for our fr1 is 15/16 from gws (even that's optimistic). More likely 18 20 or 23 (rich) or 19 or 22 (syd). But if we trade back in live we are trading for a specific player (as we did with holmes) not a pick number so it doesn't matter so much.

Looking at Collingwood still being able to land a contracted Houston despite not having a current first rounder it might be better to not have a first next year. You can't give up what you don't have.

They only did that because Port are stupid morons (as evidenced by trading a r1 to get sav last year and multiple picks including a r2 for soldo). I wouldn't bank on that every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back