Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

Looks like a mummy ruck to me, clearly the best ruck outside of the afl. He'd make an immediate impact

Not sure he would make an immediate impact - he wasn't exactly the dominant ruck in VFL matches this past season when he was coming up against AFL experienced rucks who weren't the preferred senior option. Pittonet was the only experienced ruck he really came out on top of, while against Essendon Nick Bryan was the dominant ruck, and Crossley's teammate spent more time in the ruck than him such was his lack of impact

Yes, at 198cm he's a similar build to Mumford - but it's a new era where Mumford style rucks really aren't the dominant force in the AFL they used to be. That's also not the style of ruck we've generally shown a preference for over recent years where we look more towards the mobile style ruck that provides something around the ground

If you look at the top 12 rucks from this past season based on average hit outs, Toby Nankervis at 199cm is the only one with his height listed as shorter than 200cm; the average height of the other 11 is 204cm

Even if Crossley ends up on an AFL list ahead of next season, it wouldn't be surprising to see him spending at least half the season in the VFL trying to work on his fitness

If we can trade in our F2 to get Jaques that would be a good result imo.

Use our next 2 picks on talls. 2/3 of Gerreyn, Sims or Stumpf.

Last pick on a mature ager.

That would be my aim if I’m Wells/Mackie.
I really like Hynes if available around 18-24... I'd pull trigger on him. High production, big body and goal kicker. Ticks a lot of boxes at that pick range.

I really like Hynes if available around 18-24... I'd pull trigger on him. High production, big body and goal kicker. Ticks a lot of boxes at that pick range.

Could absolutely live with that if we trade our FF. Him or Shanahan. Not sure whether either will be available though by the time club is prepared to trade out their pick.

If we can trade in our F2 to get Jaques that would be a good result imo.

Use our next 2 picks on talls. 2/3 of Gerreyn, Sims or Stumpf.

Last pick on a mature ager.

That would be my aim if I’m Wells/Mackie.

I would be happy to trade an f2 for Jacques. I agree we need whichever kpf who is decent is left.

I think we might need go go early on Jack Henderson and take him in the 50s or 60s. Probably a mature ruck too but we could save that for one of our 3 rookie picks (ideally you do the same with henderson but I think he might be gone by then).

I would be happy to trade an f2 for Jacques. I agree we need whichever kpf who is decent is left.

I think we might need go go early on Jack Henderson and take him in the 50s or 60s. Probably a mature ruck too but we could save that for one of our 3 rookie picks (ideally you do the same with henderson but I think he might be gone by then).

As they say you can’t have it all. I’d assume that Wells would have a fair idea as to whether we need to prioritise a second tall in front of Henderson.

There will be other clubs coming for those talls in the second night of the draft. I’m hoping we can (and we really should) grab at least one. I’m probably leaning slightly towards Gerreyn in front of Sims and Stumpf at the moment but there’s little in it. The athleticism of Stumpf is appealing, the marking of Sims is similarly and Gerreyn’s aggression and agility for a big guy is impressive.

Regardless we hopefully pick up a couple of decent kids.

I'm guessing people's views are all different 🤔, but what size do people classifiy in height a Key Forward? I'd go 194cm up wards, but are some here expecting to be a min 2mt mark?

More about talent than height for mine.

I'm guessing people's views are all different 🤔, but what size do people classifiy in height a Key Forward? I'd go 194cm up wards, but are some here expecting to be a min 2mt mark?
I mean it's more about style of play than the height number but i had a real drawn out argument with a pies supporters during the Henry trade because he was claiming Henry was a key forward. Henry is clearly not but that's not talent driven it's genuinely a height thing. Curnow and J. Reiwoldt clearly are and are about 5cm taller. So if you want a cut off it'll be between 189cm and 194cm.

List the KPF in the afl .. I doubt too many are less than 194cm… it depends on the player. I want a player who can win their own ball in contested marks , have the knowledge to use leading patterns to get some easier ball on the lead.. and be a good setshot. Its rare you get everything

For example..the kid Jobe Shannahan is the 194cm height and looks a talent. He kicked 11 goals from 3 games at VFL level. It might be nice to have an extra inch but its about reach , spring and read of the ball. And he seems to get the ball a lot.

Ideally the KPF height (whatever it is) creates concerns for the opposition … being slightly short and more agile may cause issues …. as the slightly smaller defenders are not always used to play as KPD. The trend towards small forwards probably is due to its hard to be an influential marking key .. And having height alone with out KPF attributes rarely works or one would just put rucks forward.

It’s an odd discussion point to nail these days… I think the simple answer is things are trending in two but equally valid directions…

Teams who want that tall contested marking forward are going the 200+cm king/Darcy style new generation of lanky key forwards.

The other end of the equation is clubs are keen on those 190-195ish cm power key forwards who have strength and speed to go with their game. You can almost justify having ideally 1 of each causing havoc in different ways.

I think simply put if you are talented enough, there is a spot in the game for you regardless of your measurements

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure he would make an immediate impact - he wasn't exactly the dominant ruck in VFL matches this past season when he was coming up against AFL experienced rucks who weren't the preferred senior option. Pittonet was the only experienced ruck he really came out on top of, while against Essendon Nick Bryan was the dominant ruck, and Crossley's teammate spent more time in the ruck than him such was his lack of impact

Yes, at 198cm he's a similar build to Mumford - but it's a new era where Mumford style rucks really aren't the dominant force in the AFL they used to be. That's also not the style of ruck we've generally shown a preference for over recent years where we look more towards the mobile style ruck that provides something around the ground

If you look at the top 12 rucks from this past season based on average hit outs, Toby Nankervis at 199cm is the only one with his height listed as shorter than 200cm; the average height of the other 11 is 204cm

Even if Crossley ends up on an AFL list ahead of next season, it wouldn't be surprising to see him spending at least half the season in the VFL trying to work on his fitness
I watch plenty of footy and he's a far better ruck than Stanley ever will be. He puts himself in good positions, he's tap work is excellent. There's about 6 guys in the vfl that would make instant impacts at afl level and he's one of them.

Tye hourigan is tom Stewart 8 years ago. Similar height and similar player, allows us to use Stewart in the middle and this guy develop and walk into the team in the back half instantly.
Isivic gets the other spot, he can play

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back