News Gibbs set to stay *Update Gibbs re-signs for 2 years*

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Gibbs set to stay

I doubt very highly that Gibbs will leave us, what a waste of rebuilding if he were to walk way from us

As for Grigg, I'm not one for rumours, but I do know some1 close to Grigg who was adamant that Grigg has agreed to terms with GC17, I was told this in Rd 4, so seeing rumours on here about Grigg makes me think that my source is on the money

I won't be too disappointed to lose Grigg, he does have some talent but I just don't know if he has the work ethic, how would we get compensated for him if he does go there?

Hope he doesn't leave, he has real potential. I reckon at best we could hope for is a pick at the end of round 2 in the draft as compensation. At best. More likely we'll get something in the third round. Not great compensation for someone of Grigg's potential, so I hope he stays.

I doubt very highly that Gibbs will leave us, what a waste of rebuilding if he were to walk way from us

As for Grigg, I'm not one for rumours, but I do know some1 close to Grigg who was adamant that Grigg has agreed to terms with GC17, I was told this in Rd 4, so seeing rumours on here about Grigg makes me think that my source is on the money

I won't be too disappointed to lose Grigg, he does have some talent but I just don't know if he has the work ethic, how would we get compensated for him if he does go there?

If true that F***ing sucks!!!

Grigg is the most underated player in the AFL and we will get FA for him in compensation.

Yeah it will be interesting to see, but in a way I prob wouldn't be surprised if he has signed cos it will be a damn hard team to break into with such a quality midfield, I could def see him playing a role off half back

He def has potential but at the end of the day he needs to work hard, prove himself and play consistent football, and if he doesn't have the ethic to do that or he wants to chase some big $ on the GC, then we don't want him, I really hope I'm wrong

Wouldn't be too unhappy to see Grigg go. Been around long enough and only shown a bit on a handful of occasions. We have players who can do what he does better and while i'd like to keep him, this is a best case scenario in losing a player to Gold Coast.

That's pretty harsh. He had a good 2008, and injury wrecked his 2009. He has only just turned 22, there is plenty of potential.

That's pretty harsh. He had a good 2008, and injury wrecked his 2009. He has only just turned 22, there is plenty of potential.

Yes he has potential, but what is his spot in our side? Won't get into midfield rotation, our backline is strong and pretty set. I can't see him playing as an effective forward so where does that leave him? Outside our best 22.

Barring injuries to our important players he's nothing more than depth and can't blame him for moving to Gold Coast. I can think of many other players i'd prefer to keep than Grigg.

The money they are throwing at Gazza has me a bit worried, and the fact that most other marquee players have signed up already...

Yes he has potential, but what is his spot in our side? Won't get into midfield rotation, our backline is strong and pretty set. I can't see him playing as an effective forward so where does that leave him? Outside our best 22.

Barring injuries to our important players he's nothing more than depth and can't blame him for moving to Gold Coast. I can think of many other players i'd prefer to keep than Grigg.

He could get into the midfield rotation, or play HBF or wing. He's not currently in our best 22, but given the opportunity he could be. I do agree though, if we have to lose a player, better to lose a depth player than a starting 18 player.

Hope this contract issue is settled soon it is affecting his form big time. Not the best time to be down on form either Bryce.

Some may say i am judging him harshly but he needs to be doing more for the amount of talent he has.

I think playing out of position is affecting his form just as much. I understand we're short of rebounders down back without Bower and Walker. Gibbs just doesn't get the best out of himself or get involved enough when in the back line. Can't wait to see him starring in the middle again soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would claim that Gibbs is down on form because he was quiet today?

I doubt that the contract would have anything to do with his game today.

Bryce is the least of our worries.

I can see where you are coming from TG but Bryce has hardly set the world on fire in the last few games i have seen. He has been serviceable in these games yes but not super impressive and these performances go somewhat unnoticed when the team wins as we have been. But get a loss like today and people start asking questions especially when we all know the amount of talent he has and he just needs to take the next step IMO and hurt the opposition more. I love him as a player but it frustrates me when we dont see the best of him on a more regular basis. Bryce had 23 disposals today 5 tackles and 5 marks but i watched the whole game live and there was little impact from him.

Some may not agree with my opinion and that is fine but it is how i see it right now. Wether or not it is contract related who knows but he is clearly not playing elite level footy this year like a number 1 draft pick in his 4th year should be. Murphy is streets ahead of him right now.

He'll beon the footy show panel this week
hopefully to announce that he signed :p
im sure he will be asked about the contract situation, especially after Hutchy a couple of weeks ago

I can see where you are coming from TG but Bryce has hardly set the world on fire in the last few games i have seen. He has been serviceable in these games yes but not super impressive and these performances go somewhat unnoticed when the team wins as we have been. But get a loss like today and people start asking questions especially when we all know the amount of talent he has and he just needs to take the next step IMO and hurt the opposition more. I love him as a player but it frustrates me when we dont see the best of him on a more regular basis. Bryce had 23 disposals today 5 tackles and 5 marks but i watched the whole game live and there was little impact from him.

Some may not agree with my opinion and that is fine but it is how i see it right now. Wether or not it is contract related who knows but he is clearly not playing elite level footy this year like a number 1 draft pick in his 4th year should be. Murphy is streets ahead of him right now.

Except when he was best on ground against the best team in the league. Since then he has been given roles in the backline due to our injuries, and lack of coverage there, and has played pretty well. Today wasn't great, but he ws hardly our worst. Against the Pies, he almost got us back in the game in about 15 minutes. Just wait till Bower and Walker come back in, Gibbs will wreak havoc on the opposition.

Gibbsy and Gazza in the GC17 midfield..... what a sight! Maybe they could promote skin cancer awareness and work for banana boat, (like juddy for visy) dont think they would handle the sun too well... lily whites..lol

I think Gibbs is doing fine. Sure he is not racking up disposals and getting inside 50s but he is playing down back to cover our injuries or try and play off dangerous forwards. Can't compare his form based on disposals last year to this year when he is being asked to play a more defensive role.

You mustn't have seen the Port game then. Bryce was outstanding on Motlop who got one goal because he snuck onto the field off the interchange bench and another by breaking a Gibbs tackle by ducking out of it ... just. And he took one amazing mark, apart from that Gibbs had the better of him all day and led the charge out of defence on several occasions. Don't know what more he could really have done to prove his worth in that game.

His game on Goddard was pretty good considering Goddard didn't have a great impact that night. As someone else said, he was largely responsible for turning the Pies game and he was excellent in the Cats game.

So which "last few games" are you referring to?

You mustn't have seen the Port game then. Bryce was outstanding on Motlop who got one goal because he snuck onto the field off the interchange bench and another by breaking a Gibbs tackle by ducking out of it ... just.

I did miss the Port game as i was away interstate that week. But i will take your comments on board and the thing i want to add is the mentality that people seem to be happy with when Bryce shuts down a player.... You dont spend a No1 draft pick on a shut down tagger type player.

His game on Goddard was pretty good considering Goddard didn't have a great impact that night.

Again see above.

As someone else said, he was largely responsible for turning the Pies game and he was excellent in the Cats game.

Largely responsible for turning the Pies game??? We got beat by 50pts and allthough we came back well in the 3rd Qtr it was a team effort and praising all the kudos on Gibbs for this is wrong.

So which "last few games" are you referring to?

I have seen every game this year bar the Port match last week. While Bryce has been solid to me he is not playing as well as a such high pick should and turning games and being a telling a factor in a close win where you can honestly say " If we didnt have Bryce we wouldn't have won that" etc etc.

It may be harsh and i may get shot down for this opinion but i dont care and will voice it no matter what. Gibbs has a massive amount of talent and last year he was great and i want that form back. Wether it is due to him being played out of position or whatever sugar you want to coat over him to explain it and make justice of the cheap stats that he racks up is up to you. He is not influencing games this year with attacking plays and tearing it open. Praising tagging duties is not for No1 draft picks IMO.

I really like Bryce and cant stress this enough but i just feel a No1 draft pick should be doing more considering the talent he has.

Largely responsible for turning the Pies game??? We got beat by 50pts and allthough we came back well in the 3rd Qtr it was a team effort and praising all the kudos on Gibbs for this is wrong.

We played about 15 minutes of really good footy against the Pies (in the 3rd quarter) and we got within 3 points. It was Gibbs going into the middle and smashing them that gave us a chance. He did actually turn the game, but the team put in a shocker that day, and we had let them get too far ahead.

It appears Chism's view on Gibbs is similar to his view on District 9 being a lesser film than Avatar.

:eek:

Gibbs has held his own as a HBF, so I don't see the problem with playing one of your best kicks there for the time being.

Moving Gibbs into the middle against Collingwood was a key factor in Carlton nearly hitting the lead.

Against Port, one of Bryce rebound fifties in the last quarter and a Goddard/Hurn-esqye ball burster that hit the target set up a vital goal.

If we take Gibbs out of the backline, we would have to move Scotland or God forbid, Carrazzo into the backline.

The team comes first.

We played about 15 minutes of really good footy against the Pies (in the 3rd quarter) and we got within 3 points. It was Gibbs going into the middle and smashing them that gave us a chance. He did actually turn the game, but the team put in a shocker that day, and we had let them get too far ahead.

We did play 15 mins of good footy and Bryce was good but he was hardly the saviour to a comeback. The forwards also had a purple patch in that time amongst others in the middle.

This is where half of my argument lies. People seem to be happy with a 15 minute purple patch to hang their hat on these days and defend someone. For a second tier player this is warranted but not for a player of the capacity Bryce is. I want him to put in a whole game BOG performance that turns games and wins them for us like he should be. The rose coloured glasses need to come off somewhat and i want him to take a game by the scruff of the neck and dominate ALL game because the ability is there.

It appears Chism's view on Gibbs is similar to his view on District 9 being a lesser film than Avatar.

Your better than that TG.

God forbid what world we would live in everyone had the same opinion.

Moving Gibbs into the middle against Collingwood was a key factor in Carlton nearly hitting the lead.

Then what happened??? Again hanging hats on a 15 minute purple patch.

Gibbs has held his own as a HBF, so I don't see the problem with playing one of your best kicks there for the time being.

If he turns games and has a massive impact on results i dont either but i am not seeing this.

The team comes first.

I agree with this but i just want more from him.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gibbs set to stay *Update Gibbs re-signs for 2 years*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back