Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody liked the idea of Wright taking an extended sabbatical during the club's premiership defence.

Kirby, who repeatedly maintained that everything would be OK, has much to answer for.
Well Wrighty is going to make it all up to us when he gets back.

He tells me that he has our come back all worked out after putting in a lot of really deep thought, and I mean really really deep thought.

He picked up a pair of cheap clippers in Prague and he’s planning to shave Darcy Moore’s head into respectable crew cut. He also found a whole lot of cheap blue singlets in a bin near the Milan airport to help sharpen up Darcy’s wardrobe, and a box of cheap Winnie Blues from the duty free store so he can tape a packet each game to Darce’s left arm.

He reckons that all we need is a real Aussie manly look on our skipper and our fortunes will be turned around instantly.

He’s a genius our Wrighty, never stops thinking outside the square.

My post was tongue-in-cheek, Harry.

I remember IQ and the Daicos boys returning to training early and doing extra programmed work.

They might be having a bad year, but it's not due to laziness.
We can’t run past our own shadows in second half’s currently- call me crazy but that is a lack of physical preparation

We can’t run past our own shadows in second half’s currently- call me crazy but that is a lack of physical preparation

They did run out of puff. Richards, Long etc haven't had the opportunity to build a tank. JDG is hampered as is Pendles.

Assuming it's from a lack prep might be drawing a long bow.

I suggested Wade was loading early to avoid the poor run into finals we had last year, and to be prepared for the tough run of games ahead.
Who know?
Don’t think any team struggling to make finals with an injury profile would be loading their players at this stage of season

Don’t think any team struggling to make finals with an injury profile would be loading their players at this stage of season
We’re talking about those not injured fading in games, loading is therefore an obvious possibility.
Otherwise you need to rethink the theory because we had a good run of form where fitness wasn’t as issue.

Last edited:
We’re talking about those not injured fading in games, loading is therefore an obvious possibility.
Otherwise you need to rethink the theory because we had a good run of form where fitness wasn’t as issue.

It was good coaching. We were torching teams from the midfield. Nick moved there permanantly and Crisp and Pendles were on fire. We were blocking for Nick and it took a while for teams to adjust and counter our midfield tactics. But we're back to the pack in that regard and the rest of our game is struggling - I don't think it's fitness.

Last edited:
What “internal stuff”?
When Caro said there was friction between Leppa & Bolton. And another admin person left to start a new job at the Dee's.

Somehow that was big news , trouble at the club & affected how we played in those first 3 losses 🙄 the usual Caro crap.

It was never mentioned again when we started winning. But now we're losing, apparently it's Wright's fault because he's overseas 🥴

When Caro said there was friction between Leppa & Bolton. And another admin person left to start a new job at the Dee's.

Somehow that was big news , trouble at the club & affected how we played in those first 3 losses 🙄 the usual Caro crap.

It was never mentioned again when we started winning. But now we're losing, apparently it's Wright's fault because he's overseas 🥴
Just like the Chicken Littles around here. As soon as things go a little bit pear-shaped, the blaming and looking for reasons begins.

Sometimes the answer is the other team played better.

Just like the Chicken Littles around here. As soon as things go a little bit pear-shaped, the blaming and looking for reasons begins.

Sometimes the answer is the other team played better.
Playing poorly combined with never ending injuries has definitely contributed to where we currently sit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved GW as a player and he appears to have had some success as an administrator but I've never felt that he was a 'Collingwood man'. If he wants to go after a relatively short come back the c'est la vie.

Wright's credentials are great. The club's choice to offer him a sabbatical rather than just let him resign was smart. But the plans to cover his absence maybe not so smart. It's not too long a bow to draw that Wright's absence has at least contributed to our demise this year, especially when he has not actually been replaced, and the increased workload on all coaches plus Ned clearly has not been beneficial.

IMO we should do everything we can to keep him. I would even consider giving him greater control over the footy department if that's what he wants.

Loved GW as a player and he appears to have had some success as an administrator but I've never felt that he was a 'Collingwood man'. If he wants to go after a relatively short come back the c'est la vie.
"some success as an administrator" - ffs he was involved in four flags at the Hawks. Think that exceeds "some" by some way.

Never felt that he was a "collingwood man"? Was close to our most important player in 1990. A one club player, 201 games. And got a Pies tattoo when tattoos were rare.

What more do you want?

"some success as an administrator" - ffs he was involved in four flags at the Hawks. Think that exceeds "some" by some way.

Never felt that he was a "collingwood man"? Was close to our most important player in 1990. A one club player, 201 games. And got a Pies tattoo when tattoos were rare.

What more do you want?
Yeah his record off the field is as good as anybody in footy.
On the field he was highly underrated IMO. If I remember correctly:
  • Burst onto the scene kicking 21 goals in his first 7 games from a wing in 1988, (including a bag of 6 at Waverley against the Dawks).
  • Highly skilled and rarely beaten in a contest at half-back through his career. Always used to look for him when there was a loose ball in the backline, and would usually say, "It's all right cos it's Wright!"
  • Runner-up in the Brownlow (by one vote) in the 1990 premiership year, despite Millane winning the Coaches MVP award, and Tony Shaw winning the Copeland. Note this team also included Gavin Brown and Peter Daicos, so a pretty fair achievement.

What more do you want?

I’d be more convinced if the tattoo was on his face.

What more do you want?
As I said, I loved him as a player - premiership tattoo along with several other players - Jamie Turner, Gavin Brown I think were others - in the heady pays after such a drought. Emotions were high, I'm sure they were all committed.

That was then, his return to Collingwood was not, I believe, driven by any unfulfilled club loyalty but what would I know, that is entirely an impression formed.

What more do you want? I want someone who wants to be there and if GW is unsure then so be it. As capable as he might be he's not Robinson Crusoe.

As I said, I loved him as a player - premiership tattoo along with several other players - Jamie Turner, Gavin Brown I think were others - in the heady pays after such a drought. Emotions were high, I'm sure they were all committed.

That was then, his return to Collingwood was not, I believe, driven by any unfulfilled club loyalty but what would I know, that is entirely an impression formed.

What more do you want? I want someone who wants to be there and if GW is unsure then so be it. As capable as he might be he's not Robinson Crusoe.
Your "never felt that he was a Collingwood man" is a shocking take.

Well Wrighty is going to make it all up to us when he gets back.

He tells me that he has our come back all worked out after putting in a lot of really deep thought, and I mean really really deep thought.

He picked up a pair of cheap clippers in Prague and he’s planning to shave Darcy Moore’s head into respectable crew cut. He also found a whole lot of cheap blue singlets in a bin near the Milan airport to help sharpen up Darcy’s wardrobe, and a box of cheap Winnie Blues from the duty free store so he can tape a packet each game to Darce’s left arm.

He reckons that all we need is a real Aussie manly look on our skipper and our fortunes will be turned around instantly.

He’s a genius our Wrighty, never stops thinking outside the square.

Genius.

Moore in 2025.

1721104994802.png

I’m more puzzled by the fact that Wright wanted to resign in the first place?

He had only been with us 3 seasons when he made the call and we won the flag in his third season.

So he was happy to be at Hawthorn for 15 years with no break but the. Wants to leave us after 3?

Something isn’t adding up

I’m more puzzled by the fact that Wright wanted to resign in the first place?

He had only been with us 3 seasons when he made the call and we won the flag in his third season.

So he was happy to be at Hawthorn for 15 years with no break but the. Wants to leave us after 3?

Something isn’t adding up
It was widely reported he was looking for a career break which included a European summer. He thought that meant he needed to resign. No reason to think there is something that isn't adding up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back