Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought starcevich is a taller defender? More likely to go to Amarety or McLean or whichever is down there at the time trading off with Payne if they're both there

I'd say JJ to a midfielder is more likely, mcluggage would be my pick, but having someone like Hayward who loves a tackle run with Zorko while having the height advantage to be able to beat him in 1v1s if the balls coming forward

Our most successful one with JJ has been Whitfield/Clark (Freo). He was also very successful on other HB runners. Think you stop the run before a mid, let Rowy play on the most damaging mid in a negating role.

Bingo.

Apparently losing a Grand Final is worse than being a perennial bottom 4 side.

They are a weird bunch North fans who are still cookoo on them drafting Phillips over Logan for starters.

So I was originally thinking along these lines, but have since changed my mind.

You can't take the captaincy out of the equation, this team chose him as their captain... if they had wanted him to step down he would have, but they have clearly and repeatedly said they wanted him, and how great he has been.

So now I've changed camps... His leadership can't be understated, and his ability to play in the middle and down back is important, his willingness to play the role given... these are also important.

So if he's fit enough, then he plays... give the team what they want! I think just being out there will give them more confidence!

While Mills is easily best 22 when fit, and a worthy captain, we were clear on top of the ladder when he came back this season, and we've just had a good win in a Prelim against a team that flogged us by 112 only 6 weeks ago. I think the team has plenty of confidence.

There has to be absolutely no doubt about his fitness, because we have an alternative (Fox) that has shown on-field leadership by example on a GF day and was near BOG against our opposition already this year.

While Mills is easily best 22 when fit, and a worthy captain, we were clear on top of the ladder when he came back this season, and we've just had a good win in a Prelim against a team that flogged us by 112 only 6 weeks ago. I think the team has plenty of confidence.

There has to be absolutely no doubt about his fitness, because we have an alternative (Fox) that has shown on-field leadership by example on a GF day and was near BOG against our opposition already this year.

He certainly has to be able to run and move and not be limping around , have to be confident

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has to be sprinting tomorrow, and by sprinting I mean sprinting consecutively and showing no signs. I'll still be playing Fox. Lets just call a spade and spade please. Mills has been putrid this year bar one game. If he wasn't captain on form would he even be there?

He has to be sprinting tomorrow, and by sprinting I mean sprinting consecutively and showing no signs. I'll still be playing Fox. Lets just call a spade and spade please. Mills has been putrid this year bar one game. If he wasn't captain on form would he even be there?

Fox has had an odd season.

Fox has had an odd season.

I agree, but he's had more good games than Mills has this season. Mills was fantastic against Adelaide, hasn't played another good game all year.

oh bollocks ... "putrid"? that's the kind of over-the-top garbage that litters our gameday threads

I agree, but he's had more good games than Mills has this season. Mills was fantastic against Adelaide, hasn't played another good game all year.

Mills hasn't played much at all, but his last 4 were all decent , not saying he set the world on fire, the Pies game was patchy I guess , but he was building .

Victim of his own versatility at times.

Yep shuffled around a lot and what he does bring is the ability to handle that shuffling and just do his job.

Hope Longmire and co have Grundy and McLean studying tapes of Fort and Smith all week. Thought their season was over last week and now potentially playing in the biggest game of their career. Will want to have a big impact and would be much more familiar with Grundy's game than Grundy will be of theirs.

Always seems to be a b-grader who bobs up out of the woodwork against us on grand final day and turns into Buddy Franklin (Langford in 14, Boyd in 16) before disappearing back into the ether.

Mills hasn't played much at all, but his last 4 were all decent , not saying he set the world on fire, the Pies game was patchy I guess , but he was building .

You are being kind and very kind. Adelaide game yes was great, but was poor against Port (whole side was but still), meh against the Pies. Good in the last two, forgot the one against Essendon. 2 good games and he walks in, if he wasn't captain would he be near the side?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back