Preview GRAND FINAL - Collingwood Magpies vs Brisbane Lions • Saturday 30 September 2023 • 2:30 PM • Melbourne Cricket Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm leaning towards Gardiner. I think his game on the weekend has been overhyped a bit. Got a fair bit of help from Andrews and the mids not exposing him one on one. Also, Paynes form has been average for a while.

Against a shorter forward line I'd go with Gardiner

Andrews to Cox/Cameron
Lester to Mihocek
Gardiner to Howe/Elliot

Never really read a preview before. That was outstanding, BRAB. Goosebumps, as someone already mentioned.

Flying back from Brisbane ATM, flight cancelled yesterday. Seems a few flying down. Looking forward to the weekend. Might join the march as well!

Great Preview. I have been a Bears/Lions member since 1993 so I have seen all the highs and lows over 30 years and really had my doubts I would ever see us back in another Grand Final.
My wife and I went to the 2001 Grand Final in the Bus convoy, which meant leaving Brisbane at 7am on the Friday morning and getting to Melbourne at 8am on Grand Final Day and then having to get back on the bus at 9pm that night to travel back to Brisbane, but it was worth it to witness history.
We went again with our children to the 2004 Final and the less I say about that the better. We cannot afford to go down this year, but my 2 daughters and grandson are all going down and I hope they witness their first Grand Final win.
It has certainly been a rollercoatser over 30 years but 2001,2,3 and even 4 along with this year make it all worthwhile.

Went to training briefly this morning.Payne doing repeated run throughs and looks to be moving OK.
Straight lines only though.
Dizzy was running laps but think he joined in training as I left
Linc had a heavily bandaged calf and everyone else looked fine.
Sure there will be better updates after training over.
A Current Affair doing interviews in the crowd for a story too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Went to training briefly this morning.Payne doing repeated run throughs and looks to be moving OK.
Straight lines only though.
Dizzy was running laps but think he joined in training as I left
Linc had a heavily bandaged calf and everyone else looked fine.
Sure there will be better updates after training over.
A Current Affair doing interviews in the crowd for a story too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Linc looked like he got a pretty painful calf corky in the Prelim.

View attachment 1813287

The Prelim

Just under 4 minutes to go in a prelim, and regular finals hero Darcy Gardiner lets loose for a goal that will bring the entire Gabba to its feet. Out of nowhere, Lincoln McCarthy soars through the air to take a mark on the goal line and 30 seconds off the clock. It's not the first time in his career that he rewrites a script. He slots the goal and confirms a fact that we never thought possible for 19 long years. The Brisbane Lions are into the Grand Final.

Lincoln has given us so many gifts since he revived his career at the Lions, but this was perhaps the most special. 5 minutes to reflect on the journey that took us back to the greatest stage of football after experiencing the most bitter of lows. The atmosphere at the Gabba was that of pure Euphoria as we approached that final siren. Dom Fay described these moments beautifully on the Roar Deal Podcast this week, outlining how his mind meandered from moment to moment that brought us here. I am sure this experience rings true for many of us, and it certainly did for me. Dom outlined so many of those moments, from Vossy being sacked, to Cam Rayner missing a crucial point against North, to a heartbreaking GWS loss in 2019, to Froggy Lester reviving his career win the opportunity to show his stuff on the biggest day in football. I can think of a few more that ran through my head in those moments, and I am sure this is the same for all of you. Part of my goal in previewing the match this week will be to tell some of those key stories.

As the final siren went, and the stadium erupted, I also recognised something really special. We had oldies in the crowd hugging their mates to celebrate a grand final appearance that they might not have expected to see in their lifetime; to kids who have never known anything but a powerful Brisbane side celebrating their first Grand Final appearance. I resonated with those young fans the most, because 19 years ago, that was me. We had old Roy Boys, old bears fans and those who were captured by the three-peat alike to celebrate something undeniable- The Brisbane Lions were Back. There is something special about being a merger club I think, there is just so much shared history and love of the game that culminates in moments like the final siren going last Saturday.

I am so excited to share another one of those moments with all of you this weekend.

The Journey

I am sure every fans thinks this in the lead up to a Grand Final, but we have so many incredible stories to celebrate this week as we reflect on the journey that got us here. I know for me already this week, the nerves of a Grand Final can potentially override these stories, so please do take the moment to share your favourite stories this week to keep us focused on the moments that lead us here.

I won't be able to share them all, but here a few ones that are near and dear to my heart that typify our progress.

2017: Jarrod Berry signs a new contract

lKUFmDzU.jpg

This for me was the first tangible sign that the wheel was turning. In the aftermath of the Go Home Five and James Aish, the standard fare was that our gun draftees would run out that two year contract to much speculation, and if they did sign, it would be relatively late in their second year. Jarrod debuted against the Saints in April and by May, he had shown a level of confidence in the club that we hadn't seen for years, signing a new contract until the end of 2020.

It was such a special moment for me and bucked the trend of young players leaving. These days, it is fairly normal for us to hang onto young talent. It was an emphatic sign that we may actually be fixing our culcha.

So much of our success in the Fagan era has come off the back of buy in from young guns, and the environment that made Jarrod so eager to sign that contract is the same environment that has allowed players like Wilmot to debut in a final and Jaspa Fletcher to kick on from game one. It is about an environment where young players feel confident to express themselves and play their best footy.

Seeing Jarrod get to the last game of September is so special to me and many Lions fans. Jarrod was one of first young players in the Fagan era to express his total confidence in the club and I hope he enjoys the week. You were right Jarrod.

2017: Cam Rayner kicks a point against North Melbourne

The lions are charging forward for a rare win against top eight contenders North Melbourne. The ball lands in the hands of young superstar Cam Rayner. He is offered some words of wisdom from his more experienced team mates as he lines up for goal. Cam decides to play on, snaps the ball and kicks a point. North go on to win the game and Cam is inconsolable.

What follows is something that exemplifies Chris Fagan the coach. He walks up to Cam after the game, cool and calm as you like, and comforts the still devastated Rayner. Rayner mentioned this moment specifically in an SEN interview earlier in the month when recalling that care and empathy Fages has for all of his players.

The words that Cam still remembers to this day?

Don't worry, you will win us many more games in the future that are much more important than this one.

Fair to say, Fagan was right.

These learning moments from the past five years have culminated to the biggest game of the year. In the event that the day doesn't go our way, there is nobody on earth I'd want there more to comfort the players than Fagan.

2019: The Lions chant after a heartbreaking loss to GWS

2019 was the most enjoyable year of the rebuild for many, with our results far exceeding our expectations. Everything was just fun, from the moment we jumped the Eagles in Round 1 to our first ever final enhanced by the pre game failure of the PA system against Richmond.

It is late in the fourth quarter, and Mumford rugby passes it to Daniels as he runs away from Witherden at full speed to kick the winning goal. It was a heartbreaking night and I still remember the one GWS fan in QLD absolutely giving it to us in the members as we went down in heartbreaking fashion.

The run that year was over, but the journey was just beginning. On Saturday, we stayed back to sing the song to celebrate a prelim win, on that night, we stayed back to farewell a team that had given us everything, and had made us believe again.

As the players walked off, a massive lions chant erupted. We were all so grateful for the group of players and coaches who had brought us back to finals again, and continued to dream of a rare finals win.

I truly feel now that we knew what was to come.

2020: Hugh McCluggage kicks us into a Prelim

Our Qualifying Final win against Richmond was something special, breaking an 11 Year drought without a finals win to take us to our first prelim since 2004. Despite the fact that I was at that game, the commentary of that moments still sits there as a core memory for me as a Lions fans, which probably shows that I watched the replay of this moment hundreds of times.

I am still so happy it was Hugh. Drafting Hugh was one of the best things we ever did, and ever since he showed class well above his peers on a rainy afternoon in Ballarat against the dogs, he hasn't looked back and remains on of our classiest players. We are so lucky to have people like Hugh at the club.

This was such a special night for the club and again represented a moment of growth for the team. Ticking off new milestones every year as we approached the truly big one.

2022: Lever spins Melbourne to defeat as the Lions win a final at the MCG

This one last year was huge for us. Melbourne had spent so much time bullying us before this game, as recently as Round 23, and to go interstate and win a final at the MCG was such an important milestone for us to tick off.

Much like the Carlton Prelim, Melbourne came out of the blocks and absolutely smacked us. We showed the grit and determination to drag it back our way and come back for a famous win.

These are just a few of the moments that were running through my head as that final siren went. This moment was extended, and allowed for an in depth montage to play in my head as the siren rang for 65 seconds.

When we lay it all out like that, it really does seem like we've been building to this moment. I haven't even talked about Dayne Zorko's story as the boy from Benowa who refused to believe he wasn't AFL standard, or the countless ACL injuries our young guns have recovered from, or tragedies like Dan Rich falling off just before we get the chance to play in a Grand Final.

These are the stories that will get us through the week and the things that bind us together as fans.

The Grand Final

27431b4eebcc0dcd49d07a2a17014b19

Please forgive me, but I won't spend too much time trying to analyse the game. It feels like a genuine 50/50, slightly weighted towards a very good Collingwood team, and I don't believe I have any football knowledge that won't be outclassed by the countless articles of analysis we are due to see this week from the media and bigfooty experts alike.

I will take a moment to talk about Collingwood and what they have achieved over the last two years. If our journey has been a demonstration in the power of belief and team culture in dragging a team to new heights, then the Collingwood Football Club must surely be as strong a case for this notion.

Craig McRae has driven a team that relies equally on a relentless system as it does unwavering belief. We could be 70 points up at the start of the third quarter and this Collingwood team would still believe they could win it. They are a mix of skill and relentless effort and on grand final day, they will be charging in like there is no tomorrow. They are sure to give us our most difficult test of the year. They are truly primed to traumatise me.

Regardless of who emerges victorious on Saturday, it will be a testament to the value of belief in building a football club. I have no doubt in my mind that the loser of this match will continue to be a force for years to come, and will once again return to this day in the future.

I predict a intensely physical contest that remains even until late in the fourth quarter, where we kick away and emerge 3 goal winners. Cameron Rayner takes a Norm Smith Medal home with a 22 disposal, 4 goal game, fulfilling Chris Fagan's prediction from 2017.

Final Thoughts

I have truly enjoyed spending the last decade with all of you riding the highs and lows of this club as we've returned to the final day in September, and having this community to share the journey with like minded Lions fans has been such a privilege. I cannot wait to share this week with so many of you as we wait for the biggest game since 2004.

I am eternally thankful to everyone involved at the club for the relentless work they have done to bring us back to the top, and this weekend feels like the culmination of all of that. Part of what has made this year so nerve racking is that I want these players to win those premiership medals so badly so that the entire AFL world knows what an impact they have had. I want it to be indisputable that they have had an immeasurable impact on our club, and dragged us back into relevancy when this seemed all but impossible years ago.

When that final siren went on Saturday, I realised that all of that really didn’t matter, and that the AFL world will probably never get it like we do as fans. It’s nobodies fault, but these players that have taken us back to the big dance will always be more special to us as Lions fans. We will always understand the trials, tribulations and torment that lead to that siren going on Saturday, and that is all that matters.

It is freeing, because no matter what happens at the MCG on Saturday, these guys brought us back to the top.

That being said; let’s win the whole ******* thing.

Lions by 19 points

Goosebumps and a tear. Damn you BRAB , I haven't been this emotional since I last thought of Jack Gunston 👑

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Epic preview BRAB.

A lot of us have sat through the years where we were languishing at the bottom, and personally there were times where I wasn't sure there was light at the end of the tunnel.

The board spill, Swann, Noble and Fagan coming on board, players starting to come in instead of constantly leaving, the new training facilities out in Springfield etc. all feel like moments that have culminated in this, regardless of the result.

I started the trade/draft summaries 10 years ago and it's been a shift from trade periods when we've scavenged what we could for recent first round picks (what is Jayden Post up to these days), to bringing in players like Dunkley, McKenna, Ashcroft and Fletcher in the same off season.

Compared to 2022:

Thanks for all the work over the years and in particular thanks for reposting this snapshot. Just phenomenal the distance the club has travelled in the last ten years.

I will be devastated if we lose on Saturday (in Q14) but over a few days I am sure I wil recover the pride and joy this club has given me.

Josh Dunkley played in the dogs 2016 premiership which doesn’t appear to be spoken about much .
Another good mentor .

If Jack Payne is fit he comes in. It is a no Brainer. We will win and it will be glorious
Anyone know/remember what Jack Payne is like coming in off a break?

I am really conflicted on this decision if Jack is fit to play, it would be handy to know before we lodge our team whether the Pies bring in a small or a tall for McStay.

If they bring in Taylor Adams IMO we stick with Gardiner, if it's Frampton serious consideration needs to be given to bringing in Payne.

So we have a fair bit of GF experience in and around the team:
Fagan (Hawks)
Gunston (Hawks)
Washcroft (Dad - Lions)
Dunkley (Bulldogs)
Cameron (Crows)
Neale (Dockers)
Birchall (Hawks)

These ones I'm not sure on:
McCarthy (Cats - squad?)
Adams (Bulldogs - squad?)
Fort (Cats - squad?)