Preview Grand Final Preview: Collingwood vs West Coast [DaVe86 Ultimate Preview #512]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to admit we have been unbelievably lucky. We just got Richmond with a clearly injured Dustin Martin and a sick Astbury. Now we meet Eagles missing Nic Nat, Gaff and with a serious injury issue with mcGovern.
On the other hand we are contemplating bringing Moore and Reid into a 22 that is flying.
The stars are all aligning. Go Pies.

Have to admit we have been unbelievably lucky. We just got Richmond with a clearly injured Dustin Martin and a sick Astbury. Now we meet Eagles missing Nic Nat, Gaff and with a serious injury issue with mcGovern.
On the other hand we are contemplating bringing Moore and Reid into a 22 that is flying.

What's wrong with McGovern?

To be fair, we've been due for some luck with injuries. We are still missing Dunn/Shaz/Elliott and Wells ourselves. Howe is also under an injury cloud. Sadly enough, that is a charmed run for us though.

I wouldn't be reading anything into Gov. In a game your dominating, its a simple decision for him to rest out the 4th with any minor injury, when you might otherwise decide to play through it. And the guy has barely missed a game in the last 4 years.

It's a similar position to Howe.
Both guys might be hurt, but both seem pretty confident about playing. And time will tell how fit they are.

And I am not confident about the bodies of either Moore or Reid if we bring them back in. There is a question there for the selector to make - but hopefully we can go in unchanged, and healthy.

You would think Barass would play on Cox and McGovern would float on/off Mihocek.

I’m happy for either Schofield or Hurn to play on De Goey. He’s taller than Hurn and faster than Schofield.

Our secret weapon to take down the Weagles in the big dance?

Collingwood’s defenders believe Justin Longmuir is a potential future AFL senior coach
September 25, 2018 COLLINGWOOD defender Tom Langdon has lauded defensive coach Justin Longmuir as a certain senior-coach-in-waiting after masterminding the Pies’ miserly defence.

Longmuir crossed from West Coast this year after spending time as a development coach and forwards coach during the 2015 Grand Final and Adam Simpson’s senior assistant last year.

Collingwood players rave about Longmuir’s ability to distil complex tactics and set a game plan the players can carry out.

MAGPIES: HOW BUDDHA, BUCKS BROUGHT THE FUN BACK

DEFENDER: THE CURIOUS CASE OF DARCY MOORE

Pies defender Brayden Maynard labelled the Pies defence a “shambles” last year, and while he could have chosen his words better, the ability of players to buy into an 18-man defence has been a key to the club’s resurgence.

“Justin has been incredible. I can’t speak more highly of Justin,” Langdon told the Herald Sun.

“He has come in and influenced the whole group. He has spoken to Bucks and together they have come up with a game plan that works for us.

Justin Longmuir crossed to Collingwood from West Coast last year. Picture: Daniel Wilkins
“I think it will just be a matter of time before (being a senior coach) happens to him.

“He sees the game incredibly well and he’s definitely been a huge supporter of all the guys.

“That is inevitable over time but at the moment he’s just helping us win a flag this year.”

“Our game plan has been relatively simple where in the past there might have been aspects that might have confused guys a lot. But it’s a simple game plan which guys can execute every single week, and that goes a long way to success.”

Langdon put Maynard’s remark in context, saying the Pies chopped and changed at times last year in search of a better defensive system.

“That is a strong word. I think when you start losing, people can lose track a bit.

Tom Langdon in action for Collingwood.
“You just start questioning if the game plan is going to get you success.

“When you lose games guys decide to tinker with things and I think that is what he was referring to, constant changes in terminology and adding different information.

“Guys would rock up on a Monday and say, “I haven’t heard that before, now I have to implement that. This year it is exactly the same every week.

“There is a slide that comes up four times a week and everyone is absolutely sick of it but it’s about consistency of message and it allows guys to have real clarity when they go out there.”

Longmuir said this week he was loving his time at Collingwood, thrilled the playing group had taken up

“I suppose there is the exhilaration of getting to the Grand Final and to lose it in the way we did was heartbreaking. You are more heartbroken for the players because you know how much effort and time and hard work they put in. I am sure that still burns in their gut. It still burns in mine.”

'>
COLLINGWOOD defender Tom Langdon has lauded defensive coach Justin Longmuir as a certain senior-coach-in-waiting after masterminding the Pies’ miserly defence.

Longmuir crossed from West Coast this year after spending time as a development coach and forwards coach during the 2015 Grand Final and Adam Simpson’s senior assistant last year.

Collingwood players rave about Longmuir’s ability to distil complex tactics and set a game plan the players can carry out.

MAGPIES: HOW BUDDHA, BUCKS BROUGHT THE FUN BACK

DEFENDER: THE CURIOUS CASE OF DARCY MOORE

Pies defender Brayden Maynard labelled the Pies defence a “shambles” last year, and while he could have chosen his words better, the ability of players to buy into an 18-man defence has been a key to the club’s resurgence.

“Justin has been incredible. I can’t speak more highly of Justin,” Langdon told the Herald Sun.

“He has come in and influenced the whole group. He has spoken to Bucks and together they have come up with a game plan that works for us.

Justin Longmuir crossed to Collingwood from West Coast last year. Picture: Daniel Wilkins
“I think it will just be a matter of time before (being a senior coach) happens to him.

“He sees the game incredibly well and he’s definitely been a huge supporter of all the guys.

“That is inevitable over time but at the moment he’s just helping us win a flag this year.”

“Our game plan has been relatively simple where in the past there might have been aspects that might have confused guys a lot. But it’s a simple game plan which guys can execute every single week, and that goes a long way to success.”

Langdon put Maynard’s remark in context, saying the Pies chopped and changed at times last year in search of a better defensive system.

“That is a strong word. I think when you start losing, people can lose track a bit.

Tom Langdon in action for Collingwood.
“You just start questioning if the game plan is going to get you success.

“When you lose games guys decide to tinker with things and I think that is what he was referring to, constant changes in terminology and adding different information.

“Guys would rock up on a Monday and say, “I haven’t heard that before, now I have to implement that. This year it is exactly the same every week.

“There is a slide that comes up four times a week and everyone is absolutely sick of it but it’s about consistency of message and it allows guys to have real clarity when they go out there.”

Longmuir said this week he was loving his time at Collingwood, thrilled the playing group had taken up

“I suppose there is the exhilaration of getting to the Grand Final and to lose it in the way we did was heartbreaking. You are more heartbroken for the players because you know how much effort and time and hard work they put in. I am sure that still burns in their gut. It still burns in mine.”

Forecast looking better on the BOM.

Saturday 29 September
Summary
light-showers.png

Min 6
Max 14
Possible shower.
Possible rainfall: 0 to 1 mm
Chance of any rain: 40%
rain_40.gif

Melbourne area
Cloudy. Medium (40%) chance of showers, chiefly in the morning. The risk of thunder and hail in the southeast suburbs in the morning. Winds westerly 15 to 20 km/h tending southwesterly during the morning then becoming light during the late afternoon.

Forecast looking better on the BOM.

Saturday 29 September
Summary
light-showers.png

Min 6
Max 14
Possible shower.
Possible rainfall: 0 to 1 mm
Chance of any rain: 40%
rain_40.gif

Melbourne area
Cloudy. Medium (40%) chance of showers, chiefly in the morning. The risk of thunder and hail in the southeast suburbs in the morning. Winds westerly 15 to 20 km/h tending southwesterly during the morning then becoming light during the late afternoon.

Won't be at the game so I'm happy that they suggest it'll be overcast as it'll make the TV experience so much easier to watch.

Hopefully the players pick the right boots to suit the conditions, I'm a bit over players slipping at the most inopportune moments. Phillips and Varcoe, I'm particularly looking at you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other clubs in the AFL Have been lucky for the last 7 years that our key players are always injured

Posted on this board at the start of the finals, but wishing you guys luck this weekend. It's been wicked to see Mayne's transformation this year, always thought he would be a good pick up for you. Got a big pies supporting family/friends group so off to watch it with them on Saturday, CARN THE PIES!!

Yep and we’ve got no one missing either?

Reid
Moore
Elliott
Dunn
Scharenberg
Wells

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I never cared about King’s stupid comments comparing us with Carlton earlier this year, or his smug little face when he thinks his 5s clip completely explains an entire seasons worth of tactics. But damn. How hard has he been campaigning for the Eagles this week. It’s not like he’s even saying they’ll beat us, he’s simply refused to acknowledge there’s a team other than West Coast in the Grand Final. I’d rather listen to Kane Cornes speak about Port than King utter another word in his life.

There is a lot of talk about Kennedy and Darling but I think it ultimately comes down to us being able to curb Redden, Yeo, Lycett and Vardy.

Those 4 guys swung the momentum of the QF in the 1st and 4th and they were the ultimate undoing of Melbourne.

Who gets tagged out of Redden and Yeo will be very interesting as will be our plans to combat their disruptive ruck combo who have taken 2 big scalps this finals series.

I wouldn't be happy with his WCE game and neither would he. The guy seems like a real competitor and I'm sure he wants to replicate last Friday. But that was Carey-esque so I'm not expecting it.

If he takes one contested mark a qtr, kicks a goal or 3 and brings the ball to ground in enough contests to stop the Eagles marking across half back he has more than played his role.
Just for perspective the 3 best contested marks per game players this season are McGovern, Cox and Darling.

One contested mark per Q equals 4 contested marks a game.

McGovern, Cox and Darling have taken 4 or more contested marks in a game this year 9, 4 and 5 time respectively. If Cox takes 4 contested marks in the GF he will have likely starred not just played a role.

Get the feeling Grundy will have a monster game. He was solid last game against the Eagles but I reckon he'll want to dominate. Guys like Treloar and WHE can also go to another level. I AM PUMPED.

How am I going to work tomorrow? :eek:

Do people work in Canberra? :p

There is a lot of talk about Kennedy and Darling but I think it ultimately comes down to us being able to curb Redden, Yeo, Lycett and Vardy.

Those 4 guys swung the momentum of the QF in the 1st and 4th and they were the ultimate undoing of Melbourne.

Who gets tagged out of Redden and Yeo will be very interesting as will be our plans to combat their disruptive ruck combo who have taken 2 big scalps this finals series.
Hopefully Cox can continue his form of the last two games when he rucked and provide that nice chop out mark at 55-60m when we're coming out of the backline. I reckon Grundy would have been filthy that Lycett got on top and will dominate this game. You're right, can't let Yeo and Redden get off the chain again. Our mids need to get on top early and stay on top.

Geez this is a good feeeling. To be in a GF you didnt see coming. We have to make it count. I have heard some say the season is great and it is but once at the big dance there is no substitute for winning. We have been bridesmaids too often. Now things are going our way we have to step on the throat.

Momentum and being in form going into a GF is great and it gives me confidence. WCE can say the same and have been in form themselves but like Richmond last week I have a good feeling. The stars have aligned. We are not the best list going round by any means and maybe we never step up to that height which makes it so important we grasp this chance. The relatively easy draw, the injuries clearing coming into the finals, the AFL's dumb idea to introduce a bye before the finals have all been to our advantage

We are a big chance Saturday. It will be a bit of a pinch in a nice sort of way if we get it but that will make it sweeter. Fate has worked against us often, this time she loves us

GO PIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back