Great disposal yet average players

Remove this Banner Ad

Shannon Hurn is probably a bit harsh as he is a good footballer, but Scotland was right a few posts back in that he isn't quite as good as he should be. At the end of 2009 you would've been pretty confident that he'd be an All Australian by the end of his career, possibly even multiple times. Unless I'm mistaken he hasn't been selected in the 40 man squad yet. Probably loitered on the edges of it a few times, but never really got to that next level that he's threatened to. He's now 29 so if does get there it's not going to be for an extended period. I'll always lament that we didn't try him up forward for a season (or even half a season) earlier in his career to see what happened. Could've been deadly having him lurk in the forward 50 Stewart Dew style.

But if your left disappointed with a 200-gamer (probably be 250 in the end) who's been a very solid defender and one of the absolute best kicks of the footy in the last decade or so then you're setting the bar very high IMO.

Last edited:

Gilbee & Suckling both had/have amazing kicks. They were also capable of some absolutely deplorable skills. Gilbee still had a good career and you just have to take the occasional shit from Suckling to go with his good qualities.

Gilbee & Suckling both had/have amazing kicks. They were also capable of some absolutely deplorable skills. Gilbee still had a good career and you just have to take the occasional shit from Suckling to go with his good qualities.
I notice with Suckling because of that weird around the corner style of kick he has, when it doesn't go right it's often just a complete shank and it becomes a 50/50 ball which is about as good as you can hope from a shank. The blokes that just keep missing the target by 4 or 5 metres usually turn it over as they end up hitting the opposition bloke who was marking the team mate they were trying to hit.

Hawks fans will remember Rick Ladson - I think a premiership player in the end. He was unspectacular but incredibly consistent. He was part of the original Hawks left-footer brigade and had probably the best delivery in the team alongside Crawford. In the "Buddy kicks 100 compliation you can see a few marks from perfect Ladson kicks.

Any seagull punce who loves a couple chips thrown at him with 15 metres space on the wing, here's looking at you Stanton, Hill, Gaff, Duncan. My nan can hit you on the tit with no one on her.

Did you leave out Isaac Smith on purpose or did you just overlook him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lonie's, Travis Johnstone, Ryan Houlihan were all great gets.
Gibbs has become fringe elite. Not quite top 10 mid, but next tier.
TJ was briefly a gun player, was let down by training habits not a lack of ability like most in this thread.

I may be under selling him a bit, but Tory Dickson comes to mind. Other than being the best set shot in the comp, I haven't seen any other outstanding attributes. He's just that good in front of goal though, that he may not need any.

Pre 2016 Jack Watts fits the bill. Mark Neeld hated him and if he hadn't been overruled would have traded him for a second rounder to north but he had to play Watts because of his brilliant kicking.​

Josh Drummond was one of the best kicks of the football I've seen. Apart from his kicking he was a pretty average footballer and unfortunately injuries really hampered his career.

I may be under selling him a bit, but Tory Dickson comes to mind. Other than being the best set shot in the comp, I haven't seen any other outstanding attributes. He's just that good in front of goal though, that he may not need any.
Maybe you should watch our last two finals then.

Heath Shaw and Nick Smith playing on him, the two best medium defenders in the competition and he kicks bags of 4 and 3 on them respectively. Can't recall many set shots either, he was missing them a lot during the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Great disposal yet average players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back