Rumour Gunston requesting trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain the difference in 'missing home' and being home sick?

When overseas I often missed home but never felt 'sick' from it.

I assume it has symptoms like moping around at home, not wanting to spend time with others etc?

one requires the removal of your spine - the other needs a quick nip of spirit to fix.

Tony Armstrong's mum moved to Adelaide from country NSW i believe they live, to help Tony through wanting to go home..

Once again it's like everything, it has an effect on some people and not so much on others.. All people and personalities are different.. Your upbringing plays a major part also..

"Home sickness" would be an interesting study. Is it mates , family , GF ... . Other sports like Soccer or Tennis see kids go around the world yet we struggle with when you are 8hrs in a car or 1 Hr on the train.

Does it more affect players struggling for games more than ones locked into the best 22? If so Id say there could be a fair bit of movement from GC and GWS in the future.

Is it just locality? Here GC may have it over most other place's. Not sure.

Facilities? We Im sure the stadium will help this but surely most clubs would have more than reasonable gear.

Is it realted to club strength and who they get to play? Like Butcher? If he got a big offer from Carlton/Ess etc with their lists and finals chances , with the chance to play infront of big crowds @ the G , I can see the temptation. Its one advantage of having more than two clubs in one state I suppose.

But surely SA has its positive's too. People seem to run Adelaide down. Why? Seem's to me a big little town and this would appeal to some people more than the big city life. In the old day's Geelong used to get players based on this.

In the end , I certainly don't think its your issue alone. I know TravV had issues early on , this has settled down now.I believe he is engaged to a local girl.

As far as Menzel goes. I doubt he will be going anywhere. I doubt we would voluntarily trade him when he play that well so early in his career.

Heard this rumour too but not from a radio source. Homesickness and Andrew Mackie were mentioned. I would be very disappointed if this trade went through.

Let me ask you this, when you were 18 year old - did you move to a very different city, with no network of family, friends, anyone you knew for support and didn't at any stage miss anyone and wished you were at home?

That is home sickness.

I said, a small percentage of them 'act' on home sickness and ask for a trade (like members of society move home) but everyone gets it - anyone with a heart who moves away from home at an early age gets home sickness at some stage - if you don't, your a heartless bastard.

The people who don't 'act' on the instinct to move home, fine a way of surviving and move forward. They make their own family unit by getting married, having kids et el but they still miss home.

Actually yes I did and your wrong again..

I moved to this nearby place called Cardiff in Wales for about 2 years, when that ended and I eventually HAD to return home, I pretty much packed up and moved to Melbourne, no homesickness...

Doesn't matter if you are home or if you are living away, it has to do with your worklife more than anything, if you are over your job (I am sure most people get that feeling occasionally) you can not enjoy being wherever you are, hence I absolutely detest that homesickness is a reason to leave, hating playing SANFL, sitting on the bench, yesh they are reasons people can hate being there... If you are going to get homesick as an AFL footballer, here is an idea, get a job in your local supermarket instead, don't need to leave then, all players know what they should potentially expect...

Jars just makes educated guesses, trumpets himself when he gets it right, and ignores it when he gets it wrong. He doesn't know crap.

Homesickness is a very real thing and it's foolish to pretend that it doesn't happen. However, it hasn't exactly been a big issue at the Crows for a long time now. How many non-SA players have we lost since Craig took over? (Not saying he's responsible, just picking a relatively lengthy period of time) I count only two - Ben Hudson and Marty Mattner. Neither went "home". (I suppose you could say Mattner moved to his home state at least)

Caveat: I still think of Davis as an SA boy since he was "set up" here years before he was drafted. I guess he's a 50/50 in that regard.

Even including Davis, none of those three players left because they were homesick. Hudson has issues with the club, Mattner didn't like his on-field role, and Davis was offered a five year salary he can retire on. Meanwhile we've had Tippett and Walker fielding absolutely enormous offers from clubs in their home states that they've turned down to stay here. Dangerfield has chosen to stay here rather than return to a very successful club right near his home town, despite actually being homesick! The fact is, homesickness at the Crows has been primarily a media carryover from a decade ago, not something that's been an actual issue. We've heard a lot of pissing and moaning on the radio and in the papers about players being homesick, but not a lot of actual action.

Actually yes I did and your wrong again..

I moved to this nearby place called Cardiff in Wales for about 2 years, when that ended and I eventually HAD to return home, I pretty much packed up and moved to Melbourne, no homesickness...

Doesn't matter if you are home or if you are living away, it has to do with your worklife more than anything, if you are over your job (I am sure most people get that feeling occasionally) you can not enjoy being wherever you are, hence I absolutely detest that homesickness is a reason to leave, hating playing SANFL, sitting on the bench, yesh they are reasons people can hate being there... If you are going to get homesick as an AFL footballer, here is an idea, get a job in your local supermarket instead, don't need to leave then, all players know what they should potentially expect...

Seriously get over yourself.

Just because they play a sport, doesn't make them immune to different feelings.

If you hate being somewhere, you're not going to enjoy your time. Therefore, you will start thinking about happier times and happier places. The first thought genuinely is about family and friends.

You moved to Cardiff for 2 years and you didn't miss your family or friend.....just once? pants on fire.

Jars just makes educated guesses, trumpets himself when he gets it right, and ignores it when he gets it wrong. He doesn't know crap.

Homesickness is a very real thing and it's foolish to pretend that it doesn't happen. However, it hasn't exactly been a big issue at the Crows for a long time now. How many non-SA players have we lost since Craig took over? (Not saying he's responsible, just picking a relatively lengthy period of time) I count only two - Ben Hudson and Marty Mattner. Neither went "home". (I suppose you could say Mattner moved to his home state at least)

Caveat: I still think of Davis as an SA boy since he was "set up" here years before he was drafted. I guess he's a 50/50 in that regard.

Even including Davis, none of those three players left because they were homesick. Hudson has issues with the club, Mattner didn't like his on-field role, and Davis was offered a five year salary he can retire on. Meanwhile we've had Tippett and Walker fielding absolutely enormous offers from clubs in their home states that they've turned down to stay here. Dangerfield has chosen to stay here rather than return to a very successful club right near his home town, despite actually being homesick! The fact is, homesickness at the Crows has been primarily a media carryover from a decade ago, not something that's been an actual issue. We've heard a lot of pissing and moaning on the radio and in the papers about players being homesick, but not a lot of actual action.

:confused: Marty is from SA - he grew up in Kiki & played his junior footy in Murray Bridge...

Seriously, how many players actually leave Adelaide due to homesickness?

Answer: **** ALL

The amount of ink spilled on the subject is embarrassing.

Gunna was always a risky pick.

He was a relatively young draftee with a body that needed at least 3 to 4 years development. Call me crazy, but I think you need to be careful when drafting a player who's father is on the board of another AFL club (in Gunna's case his father was on the Essendon Board), I call this the Fergus Watts factor.

His family is also seriously wealthy, his father Ray is the CFO of Tattersalls. Paying Jack over the odds is unlikely to do the trick.

Green Bay attracts and keeps its footballers because they are one of the most storied franchises in US sports.

I'm sure having the second largest payroll in the NFL doesn't hurt either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no doubt that a number of players become "homesick" and that all miss home at certain period in their first couple of years. Very few actually go home because they are homesick and those that do, quite often use it as an "easy out" excuse so that they can return home. They return home not because they are homesick, but because they'd prefer to play in their home state and can often do so on a greater contract.

Gunna was always a risky pick.

He was a relatively young draftee with a body that needed at least 3 to 4 years development. Call me crazy, but I think you need to be careful when drafting a player who's father is on the board of another AFL club (in Gunna's case his father was on the Essendon Board), I call this the Fergus Watts factor.

His family is also seriously wealthy, his father Ray is the CFO of Tattersalls. Paying Jack over the odds is unlikely to do the trick.

Was it risky? We've picked up a bloke who over the past two years has shown himself to be an extremely talented footballer and worth far more than the measly 2nd round pick we paid. Now assuming those doing our trading arent' a bunch of hopeless idiots, we should do very well out of Jack, converting a mid-late 2nd-rounder into what should be a decent first rounder at the very least.

I'd warrant there'd be a number of clubs (10 to be exact) who would be extremely interested in working a trade for Jack, who looks like becoming the prototype of the modern day forward. Now assuming he doesn't screw us over by naming only one side, we should do extremely well out of him.

Having said that, I hope like hell that he stays, has the potential to be one of the most damaging forwards in the AFL.

My mistake :eek: For some reason I thought Kiki was in NSW, not sure what went through my mind there.

So, Ben Hudson is the only player to leave since Stenglein who had no connection to SA before coming here. Hardly an epidemic.

Fergus watts, john meesen, lance picioane (not sure if that was before or after stengkine),

What do '01, '02, '03, '05, '06, '07, '08 and '09 have in common?

Yes, we haven't had too many issues with the go home factor.

Now that we're shit though... it's not that the homesickness factor is increasing, it's that the sinking ship factor is.

Stenglein, Watts, Meesen, Hudson, Mattner, Bock, Davis. If we do lose another required player this year surely we can no longer ignore what is becoming a massive problem for this club. Part of the problem is that we still believe we are a stong club so we ignore this issue thinking, we're a strong club, it will fix itself. If the truth be known, over the last decade we have slipped from strong club/premiership contender into the Freo, Richmond, Melbourne, Bulddogs "What's a Grand Final" group.

How can you know where you are going, if you have no idea where you've been. * There you go BACCS, an inspiring non Rock Hudson quote you can use*.

Let me ask you this, when you were 18 year old - did you move to a very different city, with no network of family, friends, anyone you knew for support and didn't at any stage miss anyone and wished you were at home?

New draftees are generally bedded in with a good, strong family for at least their first season.

Their parents are flown over a couple of times at no cost to them, the players are frequently allowed to go/stay home for a couple of days at a time.

You make friends rapidly - you're at a footy Club surrounded by people in a similar position to you, with huge amounts of support to help you.

Sure, you'd miss home, but I do feel it's overplayed.

New draftees are generally bedded in with a good, strong family for at least their first season.

Their parents are flown over a couple of times at no cost to them, the players are frequently allowed to go/stay home for a couple of days at a time.

You make friends rapidly - you're at a footy Club surrounded by people in a similar position to you, with huge amounts of support to help you.

Sure, you'd miss home, but I do feel it's overplayed.

Bingo, some do and the act on it by asking for a trade and some settle in and get on with life.

Overplayed, I don't know - maybe but is that an holistic thing or just an Adelaide thing with our very football centric media looking for any story they can find?

Considering we have only lost 2 or 3 in 10 years, the strategy the club is using to help over come this (the things you have said) have really helped.

I also don't believe jack will leave but I'm sure he's been home sick.

Stenglein, Watts, Meesen, Hudson, Mattner, Bock, Davis. If we do lose another required player this year surely we can no longer ignore what is becoming a massive problem for this club. Part of the problem is that we still believe we are a stong club so we ignore this issue thinking, we're a strong club, it will fix itself. If the truth be known, over the last decade we have slipped from strong club/premiership contender into the Freo, Richmond, Melbourne, Bulddogs "What's a Grand Final" group.

How can you know where you are going, if you have no idea where you've been. * There you go BACCS, an inspiring non Rock Hudson quote you can use*.
From that list:
Stenglein - Go home factor
Watts - Who?
Meesen - Who?
Hudson - Wanted a 2 year deal when we would only offer a one with our 30year old + policy
Mattner - For memory the players told him it was probably best to play elsewhere as Craig's style really wasn't working for him.
Bock - $$$
Davis - $$$

I don't see much of a problem with those guys...

Stenglein, Watts, Meesen, Hudson, Mattner, Bock, Davis. If we do lose another required player this year surely we can no longer ignore what is becoming a massive problem for this club.

Massive problem?

Bock and Davis went for absolute fortunes, which anyone rational could understand. Small market teams suffer in every professional sport in the world.

But before we start carrying on like pork chops, you might want some better examples. Watts and Meesen weren't required - we gratefully traded them. Obviously there were issues with Hudson, and Mattner we didn't rate.

Not THAT big a problem, I wouldn't have thought.

Now, that doesn't mean we don't have some serious, enormous issues, but this ain't one.

Stenglien had a model gf who only wanted to live in perth. Nothing to do with being homesick. There is a difference between wanting to live in another city and being homesick.

aahh yeah I forgot, add Griffin to that list as well. No, not a problem though. Nothing to see here, move on. We will put this in the Springy exaggeration basket with our use of horrid history with first draft picks, poor training programs, horrible trading record and lack of any form of football toughness/aggression.

There's no problems at the AFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back