GWS 12pm Press conference today - Scully Signed

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no problem with Scully taking the money and leaving, What i do have a problem with is the way he went about it just told lie after lie even yesterday at the airport, Also atleast have the balls to tell the club face to face dont wait until you are in Syd until someone gives them a ring.

^^^^This.

Re: GWS 12pm Press conference today

Just what do Melbourne fans think Scully owed their club, and why?
QUITE RIGHT THERE, FWIW the D's tanked their asses off to get some mighty prime picks.

Pretty sure the $$$cull would have had hopes in the washup of every club trying to win games of footy he may have been drafted by his beloved Tigers fairly and squarly.

But NO and he must have thought from day one how he was manipulated like a pawn for Melbourne's cheating and greed.

Good luck Skull and to Melbourne you tank you suck...

Re: CONFIRMED - Scully Gone

Unfortunately with the franchise clubs flashing the cash, we're not going to see a heap of loyalty from players at all. It seems to be no secret that there is more agreements than there is officially admitted.

That said though, clubs are pretty quick to trade or delist when it suits them too and often handle it poorly.

Footy is a business....the supporters are mere paupers in the game.

Don't know what all the fuss is about?
We all knew he was going,we get much needed salary cap relief plus compensation draft picks!
I always say if you have a player at your club who does'nt want to be there move them on no matter who they are!
The club will survive we have a number of other quality young players Watts Trengove Gysberts Blease Tapscott & Jurrah just to mention a few!

but MFC lost by asking price alone.
Pendlebury, Kreuzer, Martin, and many more we haven't heard about?

Maybe the problem is not Scully being a money hungry monster but the MFC having a poor culture of losing games and playing the sympathy card at every opportunity? Player unrest??

He could have signed up for another year and avoided the 100 point beltings but he couldn't wait to leave. Doesn't this tell you something?

Melbourne probably need another clean out and this might be the wake up call.

just so wrong the expansion clubs are able to poach players coming off their first contract.

Wrong, wrong, wrong...

Once a contract is up, it is up. How difficult is that to understand? Why should a 7 year player out of contract be different to a second or third year player out of contract?

Can someone please tell me what loyalty the MFC and the fans showed James McDonald last year? Y'know, the captain that had spent 13 years at the club, played 250 games for them, and had represented Melbourne as an AA? I recall him wanting to go another year, did Melbourne show loyalty in their players?

No. They forced him to retire even after his tremendous service to the club.

So where was all Melbourne fan's loyalty cries against there club when this occurred, or is it a one way street which only applies when the player is a star?

Rhys Palmer is walking out of Freo, and most of the fans could hardly care less, but how is this different?

Just because a player is a star doesn't mean he owes anything more to the club then a dud. He is free to make his own choice, and you can't blame him. Melbourne forced him to come to their club, now that he's looking like a jet, fans are demanding he should be loyal... Right.

It could have handled better, sure. But if he came out in rnd1 do you think he would have gotten a game? Would have been cheered by fans? Still had friends in the changerooms? IMO he should have come out the day Melbourne's season was over.

Although, perhaps he really did just make up his mind? Wasn't too sure, still had some doubt. Went up to Sydney, saw the area, saw the facilities, saw a club he wanted to be at, and BAM, decided he was going. Told Melbourne. Is this not possible?

It sucks, but you can't blame the player. Just hope you don't get too screwed on the compo. This all coming from a crows supporter who lost TWO stars to the new teams. Just enjoy beating them next year.
This post which right on the money and raises many pertinant points about loyalty and it being a 2 way street.

Dees fans are irate and rightly so but what their club did to their captain from last year was dreadfull,the choice between Greene and McDonald is no contest.

The Dees fans don,t this but I am sure the people who forced out McDonald get everything they deserved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that sucks balls, but do you really want someone at your club who isn't loyal? he was talked up so much as well, if i was GWS i would of thrown the money to someone way better. waste of a pick, maybe you should of choose martin :rolleyes:

Scully was never allowed to say anything to Melbourne so he had to lie, Sheesh Davis left Adelaide and hadn't even spoken to GWS.:rolleyes:

The system is forcing these kids to lie not the kids themselves.

I can understand why the Dees, Doggies and crows fans are upset about. If it was Daisy or Pendles i would have been annoyed but at least they have delivered Collingwood a flag so we would have gotten something out of them. Looking at it though, sometimes the money is too good and i would not have begrudged them for taking the money and running.
These 3 still owed the club for what they have invested in them but in three years time who knows what could happen injuries could end their career or form slumps could mean they are on minimal money, stranger things have occurred.

All in all blame the AFL for this cluster#$#k not the kids who have left.

Rubbish, if we weren't the worst side in 2009 I'll go jump. Someone had to get the first pick and we were leading after the final siren before Jordan McMahon (bless his soul) kicked truly. If he had missed, we'd lose Scully without having Trengove.

Unlikely.

It would have meant you then had 4 wins and would have had to manufacture a loss against Fremantle - which given Bailey's comments would have been likely.

Don't know what all the fuss is about?
We all knew he was going,we get much needed salary cap relief plus compensation draft picks!
I always say if you have a player at your club who does'nt want to be there move them on no matter who they are!
The club will survive we have a number of other quality young players Watts Trengove Gysberts Blease Tapscott & Jurrah just to mention a few!

Oh my, please tell me this is a joke. Melbourne need salary cap relief?! Right... struggling to find that couple of 100k extra that Brad Green deserves are you?

Geez, (most) opposition supporters love to give it to Melbourne don't they? Absolutely salivating at what has occured.

The club has its share of problems, no doubt, but hardly justifies kicking us loyal supporters when we've already had a fair whack in the guts just this morning.

that sucks balls, but do you really want someone at your club who isn't loyal? he was talked up so much as well, if i was GWS i would of thrown the money to someone way better. waste of a pick, maybe you should of choose martin :rolleyes:

GWS tried but all they got was one of Martins famous 'Don't Argues' and turned them down.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/how-loyalty-cost-dustin-martin-3m/story-fn6cisdj-1226049486283

If only Melbourne weren't so stubborn and interviewed the kid at the draft camp maybe they would of picked the right one. ;)

Melbourne's loss is our gain I suppose. :)

Melbourne shouldn't be able to profit out of this imo. They were unable to hold onto their player and although he was a number 1 pick he really hasn't shown much bar one game last year against the dogs.

1st round pick is all they should get. If they get 2 like Ablett then it would be an absolute joke.

Why is it wrong?

Because the AFL has an oft-stated policy of equalisation. The high draft picks existing clubs have got have come about because that club has been in a poor situation.

The Expansion clubs have had every opportunity to score the best young talent in the country, to the point of diluting drafts and destroying the chance for existing clubs to get a fair crack at rebuilding etc.

The Expansion clubs have enough access to young talent without taking the hard earned players of struggling existing clubs.

Lance, you are spot on and the clubs voiced their concerns but the AFL did it anyway.

Hopefully Hurley signs early for you guys so you don't have to go through this.

Hurley has already signed a second contract. He is fair game. If Essendon lose him, it's entirely our fault for not providing an environment that is good enough to keep him.

I back us to keep Hurley, but he is fair game AFAIC.

Clubs agreed to it so they cant whinge

Maybe. The way I understand it is the AFL railroaded it through. Either way, maybe the clubs did agree to it and it's their fault. I don't absolve them. I think the AFL though should never have put the option on the table.

The mewling about protecting kids coming out of their first contract is a bit strange given the salivating that went on over Butcher, not a few weeks ago.

Any club that wanted Butcher would have had to trade with Port. They couldn't have simply snatched him once his contract was up. It's chalk and cheese.

As well, any (non-expansion) clubs that wanted Butcher wouldn't have had a massive difference in salary cap to spend.

Once a contract is up, it is up. How difficult is that to understand? Why should a 7 year player out of contract be different to a second or third year player out of contract?

It's not difficult to understand. I mean, duh, FFS. I would say maybe the difference is too subtle for you, but I don't want to be a patronising w***er...

There's a fundamental difference, as outlined above. The expansion clubs have already gotten the must unbelievable access to young talent. I have no problems in theory with them taking uncontracted players, but IMO they should never have access to other clubs first and second year players, who they are able to make offers so huge in comparison to what the club can match. The uncontracted player option should have been so they could compliment their already extraordinary supply of young talent with older, harder bodies of players who aren't for whatever reason getting a good deal or opportunity with their current club. That's how it should have worked.

The difference regarding young players, if you take just a moment or two to think about, is obvious. Clubs can at least compete with their older players, because they are able to pay closer to market rate based on what they have achieved, rather than speculate on their potential. Richmond would have had to pay a ridiculously inflated salary to keep Martin simply because of the inflationary pressure brought about by the expansion clubs. That could **** Richmond's finances big time. So not Martin is one of their most highly paid players. What a great situation that is.

Getting the cream of their draft, plus the best underage kids, is ENOUGH access to elite young talent, without raping other clubs of their hard earned young talent. IMO.

Melbourne shouldn't be able to profit out of this imo. They were unable to hold onto their player and although he was a number 1 pick he really hasn't shown much bar one game last year against the dogs.

1st round pick is all they should get. If they get 2 like Ablett then it would be an absolute joke.

Compo should be awarded based on salary. It is the only way we measure a player's worth. If Ablett is on whatever he is after being a premiership player, brownlow medal winner, all that jazz, then Scully must be the same caliber if his market worth is $1 million.

Melbourne should be compensated based on the player's market worth. And that market worth equates to two first round draft picks.

We lost a player because we couldn't match an offer 1000% higher than the player's actual market worth. But that doesn't matter. The AFL created this, and it should counter it.

No one is saying Scully is better or worth as much as Ablett. Only the AFL and GWS are. Therefore, the compensation should be consistent. If he is worthy $1 million a year, Melbourne should be compensated appropriately based on that. Anything less is really just contradictory to salaries in general: if we don't get compensated on par with what the player is worth, why have a market in the first place? It doesn't fit.

Melbourne will get two first round picks. Bookmark it.

Oh my, please tell me this is a joke. Melbourne need salary cap relief?! Right... struggling to find that couple of 100k extra that Brad Green deserves are you?

Come on, you can't be that ignorant. Salary cap relief isn't important now, but it sure will be in 3 years' time.

Our list is heavily loaded with younger players, who are likely to be expecting significant pay increases as they improve. When it comes time to re-sign guys like Watts, Trengove, Blease, Frawley, Garland, Tapscott, Gawn, Gysberts and Viney, the MFC will be thanking its lucky stars it's not paying Scully $600k+ p.a.

If AD or AA ever bang on about the importance of the draft again, they should be laughed right out of Melbourne.

Allowing the expansion clubs to poach early draft picks like Scully, Davis, Ward and Palmer, who've only been with their club 2-3 years, undermines the very reason the draft exists in the first place. People will say that clubs agreed to these entry conditions. Did they? Or did the AFL ride roughshod over them? If the league had any foresight and integrity whatsoever, it wouldn't have even been an option that players like this could be accessed in the first place.

If the AFL are trying to manufacture the most contrived, money grubbing, sham of a sporting competition in the world, they're doing a marvelous job.

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS 12pm Press conference today - Scully Signed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back