GWS 12pm Press conference today - Scully Signed

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it hurts today, but Melbourne supporters must know that once GWS stepped in, they are better off with him gone.

Set aside where he was drafted. He is a young player, he's shown promise and he's had some injury concerns. No-one knows where his career will go. He is so far from Ablett it's not funny - I can't believe this is the best GWS could do. What Scully has been offered, for his standing in the game, is completely ridiculous, and for Melbourne to go anywhere near what it would have taken to keep him, given it has less money to throw around, would have been even sillier.

He's a good young player but he's only one player. The club has a lot of other talent to build with. Get on with it.

Agree with this.

Still f'n pissed though. I want blood!!! :p

I can't have a go at Scully for taking the money. $6 mil over 6 years is rediculous for a 20 year old. It must have been $500,000 more a season than what Melbounre offering.

However, this has to been one of the most poorly handled situations.
Clearly he did not make his mind up during the "visit".

Please just tell us when you are going and don't lie to the media, your fans, your players, coaches and administration. Don't treat us like idiots.

Re: GWS 12pm Press conference today

They finished last in 1993 after a season in which they'd lost by 162 points to the second-last side. There's not a lot of interpretation to be done.

Glad you worked behind the scenes at the club during those days. I should come to you with advice about...well everything really. Cheers. :thumbsu:

I will be there and there is a strong chance I will throw a pie at him if given a chance. :thumbsu:

Demons Fans Showing up to a Game:eek:

That would be more Feral than Pie Fans

If Scully had just said all along; "look I have a very high cash offer from GWS and I'm going to have a very serious look at it at the end of the year, but until then I am 100% committed to the MFC this year. I'm sure you can all understand than an offer like this I need to really consider, but only at the end of my current committment to Melbourne."

Phil Davis went about it the right way.

People are going to be pissed off either way, but if you're up front and honest about it, at least you'll still have some respect.

Absolutely. Davis and Ward both did it the right way, it was a hard decision but they did it with integrity. Scully though scampered up to Sydney and did it, weak as piss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like Scully took the evasive, weak option at every turn.

Doesn't auger well for his character or leadership credentials, imo.

If Scully had just said all along; "look I have a very high cash offer from GWS and I'm going to have a very serious look at it at the end of the year, but until then I am 100% committed to the MFC this year. I'm sure you can all understand than an offer like this I need to really consider, but only at the end of my current committment to Melbourne."

He can't have said that publicly as then GWS would have been breaching the rules.

He handled it as best he could considering the circumstances.

As for loyalty. Please, spare me.
He owes Melbourne nothing. As said before. They chose him. He didn't choose them. He is not like a supporter who feels passionately about the MFC. To him, it would just be a place of employment that he had no choice but to go to.

Now he gets a choice and has exercised it.

The real question here is - how did the MFC allow this to happen?
What makes a young player want to leave after only 2 years?
Why couldn't they convince him to stay?

In an ideal world I would agree with this, however we dont live in one. Pretty sure he would have been under instruction from his management and probably the club itself. They didnt want it to get out of hand but it did anyway.
Tough one for the kid.

He can't have said that publicly as then GWS would have been breaching the rules.

He owes Melbourne nothing. As said before. They chose him. He didn't choose them. He is not like a supporter who feels passionately about the MFC. To him, it would just be a place of employment that he had no choice but to go to.

Really? REALLY?

making-money-fast.jpg

It was us against the AFL and Scully. We'll fight back. Jimmy is great example of this.

1 Davis did announce it before the deadline and AFL let it go
2 they convinced 6 of his team mates to stay, how's he different..
3 that so called deadline passes way before today gving plenty of times to own up to everyones faces.

he's allowed to leave if he wants but at least the truth isn't too much to ask

Seems like Scully took the evasive, weak option at every turn.

Doesn't auger well for his character or leadership credentials, imo.

Exactly. Regardless of all the crap said on here about how we got him in the first place, the kid has not been truthful. Signed on Feb 9th this year and has lied to the whole club and it's supporters ever since.

At least have the decency to tell your president and team mates face to face instead of running away with mummy and daddy to sh*t town to avoid the confrontation. Gutless squib of the highest order and his character will be smashed from pillar to post(so will his face hopefully) and rightly so.

Sure, he didn't owe us anything, and as a club we aren't one of the powerhouses, but surely we didn't deserve the charade that him and his management have put us through all season and beyond!

1 Davis did announce it before the dealine and AFL let it go
2 they convinced 6 of his team mates to stay, how's he different..
3 that so called deadline passes way before today gving plenty of times to own up to everyones faces.

Roseplay mentioned Scully being upfront at the start of the season.

I'm sure that you will that for legal reasons he wasn't able to do this.

Can someone please tell me what loyalty the MFC and the fans showed James McDonald last year? Y'know, the captain that had spent 13 years at the club, played 250 games for them, and had represented Melbourne as an AA? I recall him wanting to go another year, did Melbourne show loyalty in their players?

No. They forced him to retire even after his tremendous service to the club.

So where was all Melbourne fan's loyalty cries against there club when this occurred, or is it a one way street which only applies when the player is a star?

Rhys Palmer is walking out of Freo, and most of the fans could hardly care less, but how is this different?

Just because a player is a star doesn't mean he owes anything more to the club then a dud. He is free to make his own choice, and you can't blame him. Melbourne forced him to come to their club, now that he's looking like a jet, fans are demanding he should be loyal... Right.

It could have handled better, sure. But if he came out in rnd1 do you think he would have gotten a game? Would have been cheered by fans? Still had friends in the changerooms? IMO he should have come out the day Melbourne's season was over.

Although, perhaps he really did just make up his mind? Wasn't too sure, still had some doubt. Went up to Sydney, saw the area, saw the facilities, saw a club he wanted to be at, and BAM, decided he was going. Told Melbourne. Is this not possible?

It sucks, but you can't blame the player. Just hope you don't get too screwed on the compo. This all coming from a crows supporter who lost TWO stars to the new teams. Just enjoy beating them next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS 12pm Press conference today - Scully Signed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back