GWS 12pm Press conference today - Scully Signed

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone please tell me what loyalty the MFC and the fans showed James McDonald last year? Y'know, the captain that had spent 13 years at the club, played 250 games for them, and had represented Melbourne as an AA? I recall him wanting to go another year, did Melbourne show loyalty in their players?

No. They forced him to retire even after his tremendous service to the club.

So where was all Melbourne fan's loyalty cries against there club when this occurred, or is it a one way street which only applies when the player is a star?

Rhys Palmer is walking out of Freo, and most of the fans could hardly care less, but how is this different?

Just because a player is a star doesn't mean he owes anything more to the club then a dud. He is free to make his own choice, and you can't blame him. Melbourne forced him to come to their club, now that he's looking like a jet, fans are demanding he should be loyal... Right.

It could have handled better, sure. But if he came out in rnd1 do you think he would have gotten a game? Would have been cheered by fans? Still had friends in the changerooms? IMO he should have come out the day Melbourne's season was over.

Although, perhaps he really did just make up his mind? Wasn't too sure, still had some doubt. Went up to Sydney, saw the area, saw the facilities, saw a club he wanted to be at, and BAM, decided he was going. Told Melbourne. Is this not possible?

It sucks, but you can't blame the player. Just hope you don't get too screwed on the compo. This all coming from a crows supporter who lost TWO stars to the new teams. Just enjoy beating them next year.

Yeah, we're just punters watching entertainment.

This is their lives and their futures.

I have no issue with any player who wants to further his own career, in whatever way they want

He owes Melbourne nothing and he owes the average nuffie in the outer nothing either.

That's ignorant. The "nuffies" are like the shareholders in a company, and you owe them everything because they are the reason that you are allowed to play the game you love and are good it. At a minimum, you owe them your honesty.

Lance, you are spot on and the clubs voiced their concerns but the AFL did it anyway.

Hopefully Hurley signs early for you guys so you don't have to go through this.

Everything that these expansion clubs are currently entitled to was agreed upon by ALL clubs, if you want to blame someone blame the clubs for allowing such concessions to these franchises in the first place.

Deserved to lose one of them, and have.

Rubbish, if we weren't the worst side in 2009 I'll go jump. Someone had to get the first pick and we were leading after the final siren before Jordan McMahon (bless his soul) kicked truly. If he had missed, we'd lose Scully without having Trengove.

Tom Scully has already sold out aged 20. His reputation has taken a massive hit IMO.

It's one thing to take the money on offer, but the way he has gone about it has been poor. Really poor. It seems he did not have the guts to tell Stynes and Lyon face to face.

Hopefully we use the compensation picks well and come up on top, because if we do we may look back in 10 years time and laugh at the circus $cully created. Here's hoping.

I just wish we had taken Dustin Martin and Trengove with our picks. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but overlooking Martin due to alleged character issues is both ironic and sad.

Rubbish, if we weren't the worst side in 2009 I'll go jump. Someone had to get the first pick and we were leading after the final siren before Jordan McMahon (bless his soul) kicked truly. If he had missed, we'd lose Scully without having Trengove.

woulda coulda....

What DID happen is Melbourne tanked, almost openly, in an attempt to rort the system (an endeavour which they succeeded at).

Now supposedly (and I don't know this for fact as it is a rumour), Scully took exception to what he perceived as an unprofessional approach by several of his team mates.

A new club comes knocking with an unholy amount of money and the promise of state of the art facilities and a professional approach.

He goes, and the karma train has deservedly smacked Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it wrong?

Because the club puts time, work, effort, matches, and money into a young player and doesn't even get the chance to reap the benefits.

I loathe Melbourne with a passion, but even I would say that this is a massive flaw in the system. I've got no problem with the expansion clubs poaching other players, but there should have been some sort of age limit, at least around the 24, 25yo age mark. They get to rape the drafts already, and have all their zone selection bizzo as well, so it's not as if there's going to be such a dearth of young, developing talent at the clubs.

For what it's worth, though, GWS need to be nasty, and need to have sustained success, since they face the bigger challenge. GC were a bit more respectable, picking up older hands and discards, with the exception of Harbrow (I think).

sad for dees fans, as he was part of something that gave them hope. I wonder if its purely money or he didnt like melbourne, the city and the club? i dont know, just from a pure fan point of view its sad and i feel for the fans. I just wish there was a way to cut the long drawn out bullshit we get fed, we are led to believe he made up his mind after the visit yesterday? yeah right, why lie?

Everything that these expansion clubs are currently entitled to was agreed upon by ALL clubs, if you want to blame someone blame the clubs for allowing such concessions to these franchises in the first place.

No it wasn't agreed, protecting the kids out of their first contract was sought but rejected by the AFL.

Look, I understand that it's for the good of the game and I understand that the AFL need GWS and GCS to succeed and then all the other clubs will benefit. I just hate it when the AFL pisses on our backs and tries to tell us it's raining.

woulda coulda....

What DID happen is Melbourne tanked, almost openly, in an attempt to rort the system (an endeavour which they succeeded at).

Now supposedly (and I don't know this for fact as it is a rumour), Scully took exception to what he perceived as an unprofessional approach by several of his team mates.

A new club comes knocking with an unholy amount of money and the promise of state of the art facilities and a professional approach.

He goes, and the karma train has deservedly smacked Melbourne.

If you'd been through the last few years like we have, you'd want the picks to. They were essential, but most importantly they were unavoidable. We were just awful.

That's a lovely offer from GWS, but MFC lost by asking price alone. Part of a rebuild is creating a professional environment and forging your own culture. He's sold out and wasn't strong enough to part of it. Was never going to be easy the first few years at Melbourne.

I still think legacy and how you are remembered means alot.

I have no problem with Scully taking the money and leaving, What i do have a problem with is the way he went about it just told lie after lie even yesterday at the airport, Also atleast have the balls to tell the club face to face dont wait until you are in Syd until someone gives them a ring.

Bruce and Miller have been serviceable for their new clubs.

Again, you are being very simplistic.
There would be plenty of legal reasons why he would not be able to come out publicly and state what really happened.

Makes me laugh how the general Joe Bloggs feels he's entitled to know all the details regarding someone else's work contract.

He owes Melbourne nothing and he owes the average nuffie in the outer nothing either.

Won't owe his bank manager anything either.

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS 12pm Press conference today - Scully Signed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back