Unofficial Preview GWS Giants v Adelaide Crows Sun 19/3/23 1.10pm AEDT (12.40pm SA time) at Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy is #27 on our rankings at present
The VADERLIST is Alive and Well. Can you provide the full list from 1 to 44 so we will know in advance who will be playing each week šŸ™„.

IMHO, there are only 12 names on the whiteboard in permanent marker. Since history indicated that 35-40 of our squad will play AFL this year, there are up to 28 players competing for the remaining 11 spots each week. Murphy is one of the 28 contenders and he will almost certainly get a game at some point this season.

FWIW, Murphy is #34 on the GIACOMOLIST šŸ¤”

It's really disappointing that Himmelberg is in the team over TT, but I don't blame Nicks for it.
The reality is that TT needs to play with a sense of desperation and desire in his game. His pre-season showed that he wasn't doing it. He simply isn't competitive enough.
While I have no doubt TT at his best makes us a much better team, we can't be picking him if he's not going to put in. He has to earn it, so in that sense, it's a good move from Nicks (same thing happened last year. Shame TT didn't learn the lesson).
We should be entirely indifferent to whether our highest ever draft pick plays over a journeyman level talent or not.

Be perfect now, or be left to stagnate kid, it's not like you're important to us.

The coaches got Fogarty to finally click, I'll back them to get TT to the level.

I do think the trial of Fog at FB was an unnecessary delay however.

Guy overcomes awful development.

Club suck ups: see, the awful development works!

Thilthorpe to defence then midfield to come?

I still can't fathom Brown getting a first up spot albeit a sub. Is Collingwood's squad that strong and Adelaide's that week that we pick a player delisted by the pies in our first up match.
Last delisted player to immediately play round 1 as sub the next year for us was Hinge, he seems to go alright

Except TT is never going to develop that "desire and desperation" in the SANFL because he's just way too advanced for him to ever need it. The penny will drop at some point, but for it to drop, TT needs to be playing at a level where he isn't going to rack up 15+ disposals and 3+ goals a game by going through the motions.

This is just Nicks and co. outsmarting themselves, much like we did with Fogarty. Put him in the AFL, and TT will figure it out once he feels like he truly belongs. Hell a large part of his struggles last year is just he was a third tall in a poor side and you can tell TT has never been a bit part player.
Yes.

Players improve with experience and confidence.

They do not improve playing in the twos. Much of the Fogarty carry on was based upon the idea that if he didn't dominate SANFL (he never did) he'd never make it at AFL. It was irrelevant then, as it is now.

Guy overcomes awful development.

Club suck ups: see, the awful development works!

Thilthorpe to defence then midfield to come?
Player comes good due to a mix of personal growth, improved fitness and good coaching

"See, you ****ing idiots, I told you our coaches suck!"

It's amazing that all our good players are magically good all on their own despite our cartoonishly incompetent coaches constantly telling them to suck.

Yes.

Players improve with experience and confidence.

They do not improve playing in the twos. Much of the Fogarty carry on was based upon the idea that if he didn't dominate SANFL (he never did) he'd never make it at AFL. It was irrelevant then, as it is now.
Yep.

We backed in Fogarty after some awful performances at AFL level and it "clicked" for him at that same level. We didn't drop him and he didn't find form at SANFL level before being selected again. And we didn't play some below average battler ahead of him (for once)

Player comes good due to a mix of personal growth, improved fitness and good coaching

"See, you ******* idiots, I told you our coaches suck!"

It's amazing that all our good players are magically good all on their own despite our cartoonishly incompetent coaches constantly telling them to suck.
The players that are bad are due to poor coaching

The players that are good all got their on their own

Thatā€™s how it works isnā€™t it ?

Players that play sanfl perform and improve then play excellent AFL footy ( eg Berry ) should have been playing AFL all along and have been held back !

I know almost everyone/everyone disagrees with me but I donā€™t think Murph is terriblle, itā€™s just that the Crows are evolving past him. I could see Murph getting a game in certain Victorian sides.. St Kilda for example.
Agree , I donā€™t think heā€™s terrible either

He was terrible if we needed him to be our best small forward like last few years as heā€™s not at that level

But heā€™s an ok fringe player

Agree , I donā€™t think heā€™s terrible either

He was terrible if we needed him to be our best small forward like last few years as heā€™s not at that level

But heā€™s an ok fringe player
And I just edited my postā€¦ I had terrible terribly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy is about 25-28 on the #dogs105rankinglist . Emergency doesn't seem too far-fetched if you want coverage for a smaller forward position.
And let's not forget he was given a shot with us as a "tryout" player off of a B&F year with the Northern Knights playing as their No.1 mid. Then played as a small defender in our SANFL team where he proved he was worthy of an AFL rookie spot winning the Dean Bailey Medal.
We then decided he was a small pressure forward where he's proven to be useful but has looked the best when given squirts on ball with some very effective clearance work.

No way is he the spud several of his biggest knockers want you to believe.
At the very least he's excellent experienced depth.

Last edited:
Just dont get the Milera selection as firstly what makes him a automatic choice or a experienced player for our backlines anyway.
Not only last few weeks preparation poor but he is even behind the kids in game time over last 2 or so years .
What has he really done over the years at club and apart from those flashes how many good games played .
Posters talking about done well in pre season but going on what is important the actual practise matches he was average and his intensity levels were poor compared to rest of team and thought Parnell played well .
How do you know his last few weeks preparation were poor?

Listening to Keays, Milera has been training away from the club.

Iā€™m getting mightily pissed off with folks around here translating Mileraā€™s personal leave into poor form.

I have no idea what Mileraā€™s personal leave was for, nor do I have a right to know. But anyone with half a brain can read that the club was both aware and supportive, Milera kept up his training load and therefore deserves to be considered for selection in line with everyone else.

If you want to argue whether Milera deserves to be selected over other players on talent, go for your life.

But itā€™s time for everyone to park any comment or reference to his personal leave. That is between him, his family and the club.

"See, you ******* idiots, I told you our coaches suck!"

He became fit within one week of the club shills calling him fat, slow and useless.

The player himself is wrong when he speaks of the difference confidence made.

Yep.

We backed in Fogarty after some awful performances at AFL level and it "clicked" for him at that same level. We didn't drop him and he didn't find form at SANFL level before being selected again. And we didn't play some below average battler ahead of him (for once)
Verbatim Fogartys own account of what changed:

Fogarty, who notched his 50th AFL game in Round Seven against North Melbourne, said having the support of his teammates and coaches was also behind his strong form.

ā€œIt got pretty frustrating not playing as well as I would have liked,ā€ Fogarty said.

ā€œI think, as well, it was just a little bit of luck and being backed by the team and the coaches that gave me a little bit of confidence to play better football,ā€ Fogarty said.

ā€œIt sort of takes a bit of the weight off the shoulders and you can focus on helping other people and trying to keep improving your own game so it makes it a bit easier.ā€

And yet we still have fans who claim constantly banishing young highly talented players is good for their development.

Hardly surprising that he was behind in game time in 2021, given that he missed the whole year due to injury. 2022 was always going to be a struggle for him too, given that he had missed 2 whole years to injury, and the nature of those injuries.

I don't rate him, and I would pick Parnell ahead of him every day of the week - but your reasons for not picking him just don't stack up.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app
What the hell Vader what are you on mate .
Read my post properly as the facts you showed in your post is definitely the reason I am saying he has had such little actual football game time in last 2 plus years where even the boys drafted have been least playing competitive matches .
Then he goes missing after not even full game time in 2 practice games to turn up week of game and gets picked I don't see how anyone can defend that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview GWS Giants v Adelaide Crows Sun 19/3/23 1.10pm AEDT (12.40pm SA time) at Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back