Preview R16: Changes vs. GWS Giants

This week Riley Thilthorpe should be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Captain Furious and Firewalker, I found a really interesting article about player ages, especially:
"It turns out that, on average, players hit their peak output the year they turn 27 and more or less hold it it until age 30 or 31.
It also seems that old players don’t get much worse. The 31, 32, 33 and 34+ cohorts don’t drop off very much, with the average 33 year old player still producing more than a typical 25-year-old."
(Tumblr I can send you the whole article but if I post the URL it just copies the whole thing, pages of it)

Smith's age is not the problem. It's the poor, low-impact output that he's been producing.
I can see why he'd wanna play on, just like Sloane and others before them, but it's the Club who has to make the call --- is his time up?
Most of us think so; just not Smith.
I hope the club never has another Talia exit. Ugly end and left all stakeholders upset.

Hopefully, Sloane can continue to show how you can be disappointed it's over, but still involved, respectful and respected. He took some convincing, but I've not seen or heard of anything negative about him since his retirement.

Apparently, Brodie Smith is a great guy who has the respect of many in the locker room. He won't like the end when it arrives, but I hope he has it within him to hold his head high and accept reality.

Oh...and we surely could find a home game later this year to give him a retirement with applause, appreciation, respect...and class.

Over to you Brodie. It's time now mate.

This is a really good point, and illustrates further that we have no fkin idea what we are doing.
We either:
1. Drafted him as a kpd. Which makes no sense as we actually have some depth in this area and as you have pointed out was not what he excels at (which can further be seen by his performances in that role)
2. Drafted him as a rebounding hb or midfielder. Which makes no sense as we are not playing him in either of those roles but does appear to be what he is best at and what we need
Of all the things that have happened this year Curtin's treatment may be the thing that annoys me most
The club obviously want a fullback like Harris Andrews or Steven May. Curtin looks to have the raw ingredients for this type of role.

I know it was a high draft pick.
I know we want/need a big body in the midfield.
I know it will be universally disliked in here.

But if it worked and he became a good stopper, and good defensive mark, and reliable, attacking kick, and he stayed, the Curtin, Murray, Worrell, Hinge combination is a premiership grouping of key defenders.

But of course....if he became the Bont, please disregard all the above.

The club obviously want a fullback like Harris Andrews or Steven May. Curtin looks to have the raw ingredients for this type of role.

I know it was a high draft pick.
I know we want/need a big body in the midfield.
I know it will be universally disliked in here.

But if it worked and he became a good stopper, and good defensive mark, and reliable, attacking kick, and he stayed, the Curtin, Murray, Worrell, Hinge combination is a premiership grouping of key defenders.

But of course....if he became the Bont, please disregard all the above.
Other than his height he has no ingredients to play this type of role. He flat out isn't good at defending even at sanfl level
Looks far more like a dawson cripps bont type

Other than his height he has no ingredients to play this type of role. He flat out isn't good at defending even at sanfl level
Looks far more like a dawson cripps bont type
Happy with any one of those three.
I've not watched the SANFL other than highlights. Just making an assumption based on his apparent strengths and how these could translate into an superstar AA KPD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R16: Changes vs. GWS Giants

Back