Preview R16: Changes vs. GWS Giants

This week Riley Thilthorpe should be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, way before the season began Smith organised for a substantial group of his friends and family to all go to Perth to be involved in a celebration for his 250th game which involved booking/organising flights, game tickets all in the ‘members area’ at Optus Stadium and a private function at a bar in Perth after the game was organised where teammates and coaches also attended.

Well I’m just actually floored by that.

That is entitlement right there with a capital “E”.

I get the draft pick thing but that’s not why I think a lot of folks on here are wanting us to lose. I also think learning how to win, especially close games, is more valuable than moving a spot or two up the draft board. As history tells us repeatedly, being higher up in the draft gives you more options, not necessarily the better player.

Well how is that going the last two years with those close losses? Did we learn anything? Well the results would suggest no.

How big a sample do you need to learn you haven’t learnt at all? I mean with the Collingwood game this year, we actually hit the front and guess what? We found another bloody way to lose.

But the biggest indictment is, in all those losses we basically had the same group of players ****ing it up.

Seriously clueless.

Looking back at history and wanting a different outcome is not the same as watching my team and wanting them to win. It does however, have exactly the same effect on the result; none at all. We are but observers.
You compared us to Port supporters being fairweather, fickle, boorish, divisive supporters and and said you can’t get your head around wanting us to lose, then you tied that in to how we support.

I’ve just explained it to you why we want our team to lose, none of it has to do with being fairweather fickle supporters. It makes us supporters who accept short term pain is sometimes required for the greater good. I’ve given you an example of how losing led directly led to our only 2 premierships. It’s not a matter of us impacting on the result, that’s not the point so I don’t know why you’re even trying to make that argument. It’s all down to us wanting to lose to enforce change, see above.

Well how is that going the last two years with those close losses? Did we learn anything? Well the results would suggest no.

How big a sample do you need to learn you haven’t learnt at all? I mean with the Collingwood game this year, we actually hit the front and guess what? We found another bloody way to lose.

But the biggest indictment is, in all those losses we basically had the same group of players ****ing it up.

Seriously clueless.
We have no more players to play bar one, who for most of his short career has been unfit, and who is unlikely to impact short term. I know we want Curtin to be ready but he doesn't look it.
We've been losing for years, losing is not where we want to be. Losing is why you are upset with the club, the coaching and the selection.
Winning is the only solution. Winning means improved coaching instead of being out coached. Winning means kicking straight. Winning means good selection.

We have no more players to play bar one, who for most of his short career has been unfit, and who is unlikely to impact short term. I know we want Curtin to be ready but he doesn't look it.

Curtin has been fit enough to play 8 SANFL games and two AFL games so far. Put him in at AFL level and manage his minutes.

Plenty of opportunities for others.

Zac Taylor - 3rd year on our list. Just had 26 disposals at state level. Why not give him a taster of 2-3 games.

Why not give Edwards & Ryan a game or two. Countless players talk about how getting a taste of AFL really helps them along.

Hugh Bond is out of contract this year. Why not give him a look and see how he goes? Last thing we want is another Newchurch situation.

We've been losing for years, losing is not where we want to be. Losing is why you are upset with the club, the coaching and the selection.
Winning is the only solution. Winning means improved coaching instead of being out coached. Winning means kicking straight. Winning means good selection.

No, I’m now in my 60’s and one thing I keeping learning now is that my tolerance for bullshit artists is low. And at the moment, that what Nicks is. Rowey finally calling it out. We have the equal lowest under 22 year olds in the AFL this week. How is that possible with a side that has been rebuilding?

I’m not asking to tip the whole team out, I’m for tipping a spud like Murphy out, just one player and give midfield minutes to others, not have them rot for a whole game on the half forward line. How the **** has Murphy been gifted, and I mean gifted, 100+ games.

Winning is not the solution when you are 4-9-1 and have been 5 years into the job. This is Nick’s team, no-one else, he owns this team, he has been in charge for 5 years. And yet here we are in 15th.

PS : We have used 36 players this year and Collingwood have used 35 (as have Bulldogs and Melbourne). Oh I forgot, they have Pendlebury and we have dare I say it, Laird.

Haha 😂 so you think he should even be on the list next year? He should not be near a AFL list next year yet will somehow find himself on the club’s due to his own selfish superannuation top-up reasons and an absolute list management f**k up that gave a 33 year old who’s shown nothing for multiple years a quite unbelievable low games trigger for an extra year.

He & the club if they were mature and actually gave a crap about the future of the club would come to a mutual agreement to terminate his time as a player at the club.
No, but he's contracted as I understand, so he is. Facts count.

Seriously clueless.
Yeah. That’s the point. If we knew how to do it, we wouldn’t have to learn it.

Curtin has been fit enough to play 8 SANFL games and two AFL games so far. Put him in at AFL level and manage his minutes.

Plenty of opportunities for others.

Zac Taylor - 3rd year on our list. Just had 26 disposals at state level. Why not give him a taster of 2-3 games.

Why not give Edwards & Ryan a game or two. Countless players talk about how getting a taste of AFL really helps them along.

Hugh Bond is out of contract this year. Why not give him a look and see how he goes? Last thing we want is another Newchurch situation.
Taylor is the one who has been injured and unfit, not Curtin. And he's the one who will debut next as his form is demanding it.

Curtin's form should be rewarded with AFL, not his scouting notes and draft order. Don't get me wrong, I want Curtin in the team, I think he will play more this year too. Hopefully locks down his spot too.

Edwards doesn't seem ready, give Ryan a game? Yep, why not.

Yes, way before the season began Smith organised for a substantial group of his friends and family to all go to Perth to be involved in a celebration for his 250th game which involved booking/organising flights, game tickets all in the ‘members area’ at Optus Stadium and a private function at a bar in Perth after the game was organised where teammates and coaches also attended.
Before the season began?

So he was not only expecting to play, but expecting not to get injured

Wild stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody with a clue about football projected Daniel Curtin as an AFL key defender. Nobody. Including Daniel Curtin. It is quite simply not where he will play, for us, or for whoever else he ends up playing for once he’s finished at our dumpster fire of a club.

RookieMe:
Despite his towering 195cm frame, Curtin’s midfield play does not generally involve him bulldozing his smaller opponents. Rather, he moves like a natural on-baller and is often used as a receiver who can gather the ball on the run and send it forward by foot. His game against Vic Metro, where he gathered 28 disposals and 10 clearances provided an insight into his potential future as a big-bodied midfielder. In fact, it's where he sees himself fitting in at AFL level.

Now, I’m not suggesting that Curtin is ready for a full time, or even part time stoppage mid role yet. Nobody is really suggesting that. But playing him as a key defender, or hidden in a back pocket where his strengths can’t be utilised is just lunacy. Relentlessly rolling him out in the SANFL playing alongside up to a dozen top-up hacks and then wondering why he doesn’t dominate is moronic.

Put him in the AFL side. Play him on a half back flank (Smith and Milera are both out, Laird is cooked beyond belief), or a wing (Jones is a joke, Sholl is not a long-term answer). Utilise his left foot. Utilise his sidestep. Give him a license to float back and be an interceptor. It’s really not hard to work out.

I don't want him anywhere near our 22 until he's learned to be an SANFL deep key defender. You know it makes sense.

Step 1 - identify weakness
Step 2 - get player to focus solely on their weakness
Step 3 - success

Well I’m just actually floored by that.

That is entitlement right there with a capital “E”.

And we have a public service rather than an elite sport workplace culture. This is why we will never be any better than the odd spike and hanging around the bottom part of the 8. We need to scrap the lot and start again.

This is fresh information

Nicks used the "we are one of the youngest lists" as an excuse during the week.

I'd like to know the average age of the two selected sides tonight.

This is fresh information
It was discussed before the game there was an interview mid week with Smith talking about all his mates on Hilux Hill for another of his milestone games and said most of them would again be travelling to Perth - and if you remember his form was abysmal before that game.

Also his dad was interviewed maybe in Perth before the game who reiterated that a huge group had flown over.

I don't want him anywhere near our 22 until he's learned to be an SANFL deep key defender. You know it makes sense.

Step 1 - identify weakness
Step 2 - get player to focus solely on their weakness
Step 3 - success
Thats exactly what we do. The other thing is we only apply it to sanfl players, you can have weaknesses in the afl team but that’s ok

No, winning now is not the solution to anything. We want the team to win when the season's alive. We didn't do that this year, nothing will fix that now.

The question should not be whether Curtin is presently ready. That's asinine. It's what will best prepare him for 3 years time when we want him to be a hardened AFL player. And the answer is definitely not 'getting publicly humiliated by stupid coaching, then banished back to turd league which has never prepared players to play AFL'.

So what? That was round 3, of course he needs to plan for something like that. Getting that many people over to Perth isn’t easy.

Back