Preview R16: Changes vs. GWS Giants

This week Riley Thilthorpe should be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Also probably means you can expect to see Murphy spend a lot of time on the wing and Dowling forward.
Would hope the other way around.

Actually just make Murphy the sub.

fuck yeah stormtrooper GIF

I wonder if they can get Taylor’s family over given the late notice? Would’ve known about the possibility yesterday

Hamill to replace Jones, Murphy sub, Laird rolled to HB and Taylor into middle or HF
Would like something like...

B: Michaelanny, Butts, Keane
HB: Laird, Murray, Hinge
C: Dowling, Soligo, Nankervis
HF: Taylor, Fogarty, Keays
F: Cook, Walker, Dawson
R: Himmelberg, Rachele, Rankine
I: Hamill, Berry, Sholl, O’Brien
Sub: Murphy

Of all the things that have happened this year Curtin's treatment may be the thing that annoys me most
Me too. We watched Smith play terrible footy, Keane get absolutely towelled up last round by Amartey. But Curtin gets a couple kicked on him and he’s banished to the Magoos.

I like Keane. But if that was Curtin he’d be delisted!

And thank **** it's not Brodie Smith coming in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without deflecting in numerous directions, what's your view on Curtin's performance when played up the ground in the SANFL compared to as a deep KPD?
I want Curtin in the team and I want him half back or wing, especially now that worrell is our is the team, and Smith.

I am also interested to see if he can be defensive.

I agree with the sentiment that he's more than a KPD, but at 196cm he will have a defensive role at some points in his career. He did play key defender in the nationals.

I just think playing SANFL is not the worst thing in the world, especially for young kids, and 10 AFL games in his first year would be ideal.

Nobody with a clue about football projected Daniel Curtin as an AFL key defender. Nobody. Including Daniel Curtin. It is quite simply not where he will play, for us, or for whoever else he ends up playing for once he’s finished at our dumpster fire of a club.

RookieMe:
Despite his towering 195cm frame, Curtin’s midfield play does not generally involve him bulldozing his smaller opponents. Rather, he moves like a natural on-baller and is often used as a receiver who can gather the ball on the run and send it forward by foot. His game against Vic Metro, where he gathered 28 disposals and 10 clearances provided an insight into his potential future as a big-bodied midfielder. In fact, it's where he sees himself fitting in at AFL level.

Now, I’m not suggesting that Curtin is ready for a full time, or even part time stoppage mid role yet. Nobody is really suggesting that. But playing him as a key defender, or hidden in a back pocket where his strengths can’t be utilised is just lunacy. Relentlessly rolling him out in the SANFL playing alongside up to a dozen top-up hacks and then wondering why he doesn’t dominate is moronic.

Put him in the AFL side. Play him on a half back flank (Smith and Milera are both out, Laird is cooked beyond belief), or a wing (Jones is a joke, Sholl is not a long-term answer). Utilise his left foot. Utilise his sidestep. Give him a license to float back and be an interceptor. It’s really not hard to work out.
Thanks for the insight and (limited) feedback on his one game against Vic Metro.

Do you happen to know where he played the vast majority of the games last year in the Under 18 championship? Do you happen to know if he was named in the AA squad and, if so, in what position? Do you happen to know who the best KPP in last years crop (Allies Walter’s) named as his hardest match up? Just out of interest.

Ps he is 197 cm isn’t he?

I agree he needs to be playing

Predictions for Taylor's time on ground?

I think the over/under would be around 45%
Nicks needs to minimize his game time, otherwise it would make him look beyond foolish if he has a great game.

It has only happened in the last few years as Nicks has clearly settled on the group of players who will take him to Finals and has demonstrated he isn't going to change.
This doesn’t refute GROTTO’s statement? It’s been a phoney rebuild and something we never truly planned on embarking. “Rebuild” is just a word the club hides behind to excuse themselves for years of shitness

I want Curtin in the team and I want him half back or wing, especially now that worrell is our is the team, and Smith.

I am also interested to see if he can be defensive.

I agree with the sentiment that he's more than a KPD, but at 196cm he will have a defensive role at some points in his career. He did play key defender in the nationals.

I just think playing SANFL is not the worst thing in the world, especially for young kids, and 10 AFL games in his first year would be ideal.

That’s a lot of words to avoid answering the actual question. Can you just provide your view on his SANFL performances when played deep back against higher up the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R16: Changes vs. GWS Giants

Back