VFL GWS VFL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway me actually watched Fonti live? Putting up some really solid numbers and is super quick. Any chance of an afl call up?

Anyway me actually watched Fonti live? Putting up some really solid numbers and is super quick. Any chance of an afl call up?
Was my BOG on Sunday. Peatling got a lot of it but was wasteful a fair few times. That was Fonti’s best of the season I think he is on the radar now but may still be a little bit away as he builds more consistency.

i just found out they list the best players on PLAY HQ. Here is the screen shot from Sunday….Couldnt get Fonti in, stiff! No one appreciates good defensive displays anymore!!!!
IMG_0620.png

Was my BOG on Sunday. Peatling got a lot of it but was wasteful a fair few times. That was Fonti’s best of the season I think he is on the radar now but may still be a little bit away as he builds more consistency.
That pretty much sums up his output at AFL. If he could tidy up the decision making/disposal he would be a regular.

Good to know at least there is a small defensive option in the cupboard in years to come with Pez and or cumming possibly out the door this year plus Haynes.

That pretty much sums up his output at AFL. If he could tidy up the decision making/disposal he would be a regular.

Good to know at least there is a small defensive option in the cupboard in years to come with Pez and or cumming possibly out the door this year plus Haynes.
Peatling is off contract at the end of this year mate. Might be in someone else’s cupboard if we don’t throw an extension his way.

A final-quarter blitz and a match-winning performance from James Peatling saw the GIANTS record a brilliant 14-point comeback win over Port Melbourne in the VFL in Blacktown on Sunday.

Trailing for most of the match and by 12 points at the final break, the GIANTS saved their best for last as Peatling and teammate Tom McCaffrey both kicked back-to-back final-quarter goals as the Orange Tsunami surged home to record a 9.17 (71) to 8.9 (57) victory.

While several AFL-listed GIANTS shone in the comeback win, it was Peatling who stole the show as he finished with 31 disposals, 10 clearances, six tackles and two brilliant final-quarter goals to turn the tide for the GIANTS. Returning to the VFL this week alongside Jacob Wehr as the two AFL omissions for returning pair Josh Kelly and Jack Buckley, Peatling appeared above the level in Blacktown on Sunday in a best-on-ground display. Already the standout contributor on the ground to that point in time, Peatling took his game to another level early in the final term, following up a clever snap goal from a free kick with a brilliant snap from 45m out moments later to give the GIANTS a one-point lead.

Peatling’s brilliance shifted the momentum of the match and it appeared to be contagious as teammate McCaffrey soon kicked back-to-back goals of his own to help turn what was a 12-point deficit moments earlier into a 14-point lead in the blink of an eye. When emerging key forward Max Gruzewski kicked his second of the match moments later it was five straight unanswered goals for the GIANTS who cruised home to register a gutsy two-goal win.

The win looked unlikely for the GIANTS early on after giving up four of the first five goals of the match to trail by 18 points at quarter time before a defensive clinic over the middle two terms saw them grind their way back into the contest.
The GIANTS held the Borough to just one goal in almost 60 minutes of football across the second and third terms before Port Melbourne forward Billy Gowers kicked two quick goals in the closing minutes of the third quarter to give the visitors a 12-point lead at the final break.

The Borough’s lead was short-lived however as Peatling sparked his side to a memorable come-from-behind win. Aiding 23-year-old Peatling in the win were several other AFL-listed GIANTS, with Wade Derksen (28 touches, nine marks), Harry Rowston (27 touches, seven clearances, six tackles), and Wehr (22 touches, eight marks) all strong contributors.

In more good news, Isaac Cumming (15 touches, one goal) got through his return game from a hamstring injury unscathed and moved well as he eased back into action with a typically classy performance. Meanwhile recent draftee duo Phoenix Gothard (23 touches) and Joe Fonti (22 touches, 10 marks and seven tackles) put in their best games of the year, with both lively around the footy and looking to take the game on at every opportunity. Conor Stone (21 touches) and Lachlan Keeffe (20 touches, 13 hit-outs, six marks, one goal) were also solid throughout the day, while key forward Gruzewski (14 touches, seven marks, 2.3) did his chances of an AFL debut no harm with another strong outing.

GIANTS Academy ruckman Logan Smith also made a brilliant contribution, with the teenager finishing with 13 touches, five clearances and a match-high 24 hit-outs in an impressive VFL debut.

The GIANTS will next face the crosstown rival Swans in Blacktown on Saturday ahead of the AFL Derby between the clubs later that day at ENGIE Stadium (formerly GIANTS Stadium).

VFL Round 12

GIANTS
: 1.3 3.8 4.13 9.17 (71)
Port Melbourne: 4.3 5.4 7.7. 8.9 (57)

Goals:

GIANTS:
Peatling 2, Gruzewski 2, McCaffrey 2, Keeffe, Cumming, Harms
Port Melbourne: Gowers 4, Signorello, Miller, Manton, Maguire

GIANTS VFL coach Wayne Cripps has praised the performance of several AFL-listed GIANTS in Sunday’s VFL win over Port Melbourne.

GIANTS VFL coach Wayne Cripps has praised the ‘sensational’ performance of James Peatling as well as several emerging youngsters who stood tall in Sunday’s 14-point win over Port Melbourne in Blacktown.

Cripps was also pleased with the performance of recent draftees Phoenix Gothard (23 touches) and Joe Fonti (22 touches, 10 marks and eight tackles) who both continue to develop in their debut seasons at the club.

“They’re two first-year players who I think are just getting better and better each week,” he said. “For a first year forward, Phoenix is really finding the ball as a half-forward which is great. “And then Joe’s run to support the attack has been at a really high level all year and he’s definitely trending [in the right direction].”

Another highlight from Sunday’s win was the return of Isaac Cumming from a hamstring injury, with Cripps hoping Cumming’s performance is enough to see him return to the AFL side sooner rather than later. “It was great to see him back, he just celebrates all the team success and player success, and his energy is first class,” he said. “He plays that wing role really well and gives us great structure, but hopefully we don’t see much more of him [due to being in the AFL side].”

Another notable performance was teenage GIANTS Academy ruckman Logan Smith who finished with 13 touches, five clearances and a match-high 24 hit-outs in an impressive VFL debut. “He was really good. What we saw is that the best thing about him is that he’s not just a ruckman, his follow up stuff is at a really high level,” Cripps said. “You want your ruck to be an extra midfielder and he definitely showed those signs as he was able to get his hands on a fair bit of ball but he also had a real presence down the line in the contest.”

AFL-listed GIANTS’ stats against Port Melbourne on Sunday:

10. Jacob Wehr

22 disposals, eight marks

13. Isaac Cumming (managed game time)

15 disposals, one goal

18. Conor Stone

21 disposals, seven marks

20. James Peatling

31 disposals, 10 clearances, six tackles, two goals

24. Harry Rowston

27 disposals, eight clearances, seven tackles

25. Lachlan Keeffe

20 disposals, 13 hit-outs, six marks, four clearances, one goal

29. Phoenix Gothard

22 disposals

35. Max Gruzewski

14 disposals, seven marks, two goals

42. Nathan Wardius (managed game time)

Five disposals, two tackles

37. Joe Fonti

22 disposals, 10 marks, eight tackles

45. Wade Derksen

28 disposals, nine marks

VFL Player Shoutout: Jackson Bowne

16 disposals, three tackles

“He had a run-with role on a really good midfielder (Harvey Hooper) and he did a really good, disciplined job. He (Hooper) still found a little bit of the ball but I felt he had very minimal impact on the game, so Bowne really shut down a key piece for them and played a really selfless role for us.”

Assuming it’s a $ decision not playing the VFL as a curtain raiser, sure it was listed a few weeks ago. Will Derksen get a call up? Looks like we will trot out a decent side in the VFL this week with a few returns. Lucky for me if I can make the trip I will have plenty of time to change gear on the drive to Engie.

Assuming it’s a $ decision not playing the VFL as a curtain raiser, sure it was listed a few weeks ago. Will Derksen get a call up? Looks like we will trot out a decent side in the VFL this week with a few returns. Lucky for me if I can make the trip I will have plenty of time to change gear on the drive to Engie.
How was Phoenix Gothard, he is my player partner

How was Phoenix Gothard, he is my player partner
In my view he was petty solid covered the ground and got in amongst it. I reckon it would be close to his best possession game for the year. He was covering the ground well and involved in some good attacking games. He has been good this year, not sure how many games he has actually played but has not had a poor game from memory and this one was another solid one for him. He is a good user of the ball and pretty clean with it. I would be very surprised if he plays seniors his year, I imagine the Giants are happy w his progress.

Swans have named Charlie McCartin to play VFL. Will be interesting to see if he has anything. Good to see Gru debuting.

Peatling is off contract at the end of this year mate. Might be in someone else’s cupboard if we don’t throw an extension his way.
I was referring to Fonti in terms of having a defender in the cupboard.

Love what Peatling does and hopes he gets another contract coming from my old club but he is unlikely to get huge interest from elsewhere at the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you guys/gals know why none of your VFL home games are scheduled as the curtain-raiser for the AFL game? I remember watching many a VFL/NEAFL Giants-Swans game before the main game in past years, I can't really fathom the reason to hold it out at BISP.

Do you guys/gals know why none of your VFL home games are scheduled as the curtain-raiser for the AFL game? I remember watching many a VFL/NEAFL Giants-Swans game before the main game in past years, I can't really fathom the reason to hold it out at BISP.
No. We're scratching our heads. If you work it out, please let us know.

Doesnt make sense to me.
Can only be cost IMO

Too much rain early this year jeopardising the ground condition would be my guess.

Fonti is going to be a very nice player. The goal he scored at the end of the first was class. Took a good one on one contested grab too.

Got the ball in the midfield and took off through the centre and kicked it from just inside 50 with pressure coming from a swans defender.

Smith looks good too for an under 18. 5 disposals and 12 hit outs in the first.

Fonti is going to be a very nice player. The goal he scored at the end of the first was class. Took a good one on one contested grab too.

Got the ball in the midfield and took off through the centre and kicked it from just inside 50 with pressure coming from a swans defender.

Smith looks good too for an under 18. 5 disposals and 12 hit outs in the first.
How we are going

How we are going
61-34 at half time. Looking very good. Swans took an early 24 point lead and haven’t been able to get near it since. We kicked 5-8 to 1-1 in the second and the ball was camped in our forward half.

Cadman and Jones are a class above and won’t be in the VFL for long.

Cumming looks like he might have got a concussion

Delana the other academy prospect has had some good moments.

Swans knocked off top of table dogs last week and only had 1 change to the AFL side so this is against a reasonable side.

61-34 at half time. Looking very good. Swans took an early 24 point lead and haven’t been able to get near it since. We kicked 5-8 to 1-1 in the second and the ball was camped in our forward half.

Cadman and Jones are a class above and won’t be in the VFL for long.

Cumming looks like he might have got a concussion

Delana the other academy prospect has had some good moments.

Swans knocked off top of table dogs last week and only had 1 change to the AFL side so this is against a reasonable side.
We re getting some back, stands to reason we are going better.
How is Gothard going. I have a vested interest, he is my player partners

We re getting some back, stands to reason we are going better.
How is Gothard going. I have a vested interest, he is my player partners
Has been okay but when is playing a similar role in the same team as Jones it’s going to be hard for him to crack the AFL side. Jacks lacks a little polish at this stage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back