Roast Hardwick's Thursday Press Conference

Remove this Banner Ad

I know there's a million threads on Hardwick already, but this morning confirmed to me he is not the right man for the job whatsoever.

- One journo asked about the tackling numbers being so down last week and he spun it the other way and talked about how good Port were.

- "effectiveness of tackles is the one we'll look at." Hardwick, you have to be able to lay tackles to get any sort of tackle "effectiveness."

- "We know our best football is capable"...1-7 against top 10 sides this year with an average losing margin of 40 points. Yep. Very capable, Hardwick.

- "8 games to regain some respect from the competition"...THAT'S NOT WHAT THE LAST 8 WEEKS IS ABOUT. Gaining respect...that respect from the competition has gone well and truly out the door already Hardwick. You had a whole pre-season to earn respect this year. The last 8 weeks is about changing your putrid gameplan and actually finding out which blokes can play in their PROPER positions.

- "Castagna, Markov, McBean, Lennon, these types of guys" if I hear him say that line of phrase again "these types of guys" I'll fair dinkum SPEW UP...then goes on to say they still have to play well at VFL level to get picked and "earn the jumper"...has Taylor Hunt and Reece Conca "earnt" the jumper?

- Most damning thing out of the press conference was his response to Deledio being traded:"that's what we need, to get rid of a good player"...we all know Deledio is a gun and has been a fantastic servant, but yes Hardwick you might need to get rid of a 29 year old star to get currency to get long term 10 year player's to the club. He's got no idea.

- When pressed about coaching changes..."we have a GREAT coaching group at the moment and that's the way I see it"...disaster.

"The one thing we always are, is competitive"...Lost to the WC by 68, Melbourne by 33, Hawthorn by 46, North by 70, Port by 38...this guy is a joke. He can't even keep a straight face saying it.

"Fact of the matter is, our boy's are competitive till the end"...bye bye Hardwick.
And you thought Terry Wallet was the king of spin?
This Hardwick bloke has Wallace, Shane Warne and Muttiah Muralitharan covered.
Though, agree on all points bar Deledio, he can't right now say we want to trade Lids. That makes no sense. The time for that is later.

I get you, but Dimma is a behind closed doors man, what he says to them compared to the media is very different...

Guys like Lids have actually said he is very blunt and tells it like it is... IVe been a bit of a Dimma critic too but this constant nitpicking of everything he says, his every move is getting beyond a joke

And bringing up Ross Lyon? Please they tanked, he laughs in the box when they are losing... What did he do at St kilda when it got tough? He walked out

What do you expect Lids to say? I mean, have you heard Lids say anything outside "the coach has our full support" or"the players love the coach" ever? Like come on dude...if that were the case then the message is here is the MESSAGE AINT GETTING THROUGH...time to get rid of him when that happens. A coach with his cv that has been in the job so long is bound to end ugly and here we are...had we won a final or 2 then yeah, the players might be listening but they arent and they are over playing "roles" like puppets for Dimma

What do you honestly want him to say? And don't say " the truth". Because 1. Your being as cliche as him and 2. Your opinion isn't nessecarily truth

Do you want him to read posts on here and quote them? Do you want him to go "I'm sorry but we are shit, our list is shit, I'm just a shit coach"?
Actually some responsibility for us being s##t would not go astray.

What do you expect Lids to say? I mean, have you heard Lids say anything outside "the coach has our full support" or"the players love the coach" ever? Like come on dude...if that were the case then the message is here is the MESSAGE AINT GETTING THROUGH...time to get rid of him when that happens. A coach with his cv that has been in the job so long is bound to end ugly and here we are...had we won a final or 2 then yeah, the players might be listening but they arent and they are over playing "roles" like puppets for Dimma

I know this .... Hardwick is no Neil Craig or Mark Neeld ... when his Richmond stint ends, his AFL stint will too. No one will want him, not even to coach the Twos.

I think we need to give some credit where it is due.
At least he is fair dinkum enough to know that we are not going anywhere with some of the regular 22. he said we will play some of the youngsters and give them a chance.
isnt that what half of this forum has been asking? finals are now out of the question he even said we are looking to 2017? how is that not a good thing. He knew from the start of this season we would be crap but you have got to at least try and get to finals, dont you? as soon as it out of the question he is looking to next year. can only be a good thing. seems to be a realist at least better than other coaches we have had.
regarding tackling, he 100% right our tackles dont stick and its a problem.
my guess is chaplin, vickery, arsebury, possibly grigg, along with some others will be told we will keep you on reduced salaries, but you are playing vfl and you are here for depth and to teach the younger players coming through. if they dont wish to play vfl and help the club develop the youngsters then trade yourselves out. we dont need selfish players here.
he has gained a little respect from me.

I know there's a million threads on Hardwick already, but this morning confirmed to me he is not the right man for the job whatsoever.

- One journo asked about the tackling numbers being so down last week and he spun it the other way and talked about how good Port were.

- "effectiveness of tackles is the one we'll look at." Hardwick, you have to be able to lay tackles to get any sort of tackle "effectiveness."

- "We know our best football is capable"...1-7 against top 10 sides this year with an average losing margin of 40 points. Yep. Very capable, Hardwick.

- "8 games to regain some respect from the competition"...THAT'S NOT WHAT THE LAST 8 WEEKS IS ABOUT. Gaining respect...that respect from the competition has gone well and truly out the door already Hardwick. You had a whole pre-season to earn respect this year. The last 8 weeks is about changing your putrid gameplan and actually finding out which blokes can play in their PROPER positions.

- "Castagna, Markov, McBean, Lennon, these types of guys" if I hear him say that line of phrase again "these types of guys" I'll fair dinkum SPEW UP...then goes on to say they still have to play well at VFL level to get picked and "earn the jumper"...has Taylor Hunt and Reece Conca "earnt" the jumper?

- Most damning thing out of the press conference was his response to Deledio being traded:"that's what we need, to get rid of a good player"...we all know Deledio is a gun and has been a fantastic servant, but yes Hardwick you might need to get rid of a 29 year old star to get currency to get long term 10 year player's to the club. He's got no idea.

- When pressed about coaching changes..."we have a GREAT coaching group at the moment and that's the way I see it"...disaster.

"The one thing we always are, is competitive"...Lost to the WC by 68, Melbourne by 33, Hawthorn by 46, North by 70, Port by 38...this guy is a joke. He can't even keep a straight face saying it.

"Fact of the matter is, our boy's are competitive till the end"...bye bye Hardwick.

You forgot the best part. He said that Lin Jong is an 'incredible player'.

Just watched it and thought it was very good and gave a clear indication that the kids are going to be given more opportunities in the remainder of the year.
With defensive pressure / tackling a high emphasis .
Guess if you go looking for something in what soneone says you'll find it

i listened to it and while he did say that some of the younger players would get their chance, he then went on to say they have to earn it.

2 things there what exactly will they need to do to "earn it" ? and what opportunities will they be given - 1,2 ,3, 5 games?

I'll believe it (playing the kids) when I see it.

I know this .... Hardwick is no Neil Craig or Mark Neeld ... when his Richmond stint ends, his AFL stint will too. No one will want him, not even to coach the Twos.

well yeah if you look at the form guide, you coach the tigers you get sacked and you either become a list manager on some lame sunday show or an arse clown on some radio station...;)

Watched it and it was another standard vanilla presser from Dimma. The usual spin and nothing to get too worked up about.

I don't know about this tip of the iceberg stuff though. I can see an iceberg but he's the captain steering the Richtanic towards it.
Give him some credit though....
Amongst the 100's of usual clichés that we have been hearing for ages, reckon the iceberg reference is a new one! :thumbsu:

Give him some credit though....
Amongst the 100's of usual clichés that we have been hearing for ages, reckon the iceberg reference is a new one! :thumbsu:

quick get the expert linguistics dudes on the case, its a sign on who we are targetting in the off season...iceberg patton, i am trying to find a connection with that...was there an explorer named patton that discovered an iceberg or something? or what the **** was the name of the sailor on the titanic that first saw the iceberg? was it Prestia?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did he say we've missed Petterd Tuck and Jackson?:cry:

Nah

That was the dumbest thing he has said this year lol we didn't even have them last year

He may have a point about young talent though, we will have to see

It's like groundhog day.

We've been trying to earn 'respect from the competition' for the last 30 years, more so the last 16, and particularly in the last few games of the year (if we are not flunking finals).

The fact of the matter is that in an 18 team competition it's extremely hard to win premierships and in the last 6 years the teams that have, have all either employed a tank strategy (Collingwood, Hawthorn) or exploited loopholes/weaknesses in the rules (PP,COLA,Father-Son), or a mix of both - of course you also need come good people at the club, be ahead of the game in terms of strategy and list management (ie. exploit a loophole until the AFL closes it), and have a little luck - but these are the facts. The Draft concessions and academies will likely produce the next string of premiership sides.

None of these sides employed a "winning culture" or "gained respect of the competition" in meaningless games. They all had "losing cultures" until their raft of drafted players matured and they miraculously formed "winning cultures". I mean people have actually started to respect Melbourne FC this season and their "development".

Unless the AFL changes the incentives to perform and win every game (and they should), without an academy or a plethora of father-sons, "list management" is the only strategy that has been proven to work.

I want him to say, "we have not been good enough this year, clearly things have gone wrong and we need to find answers through our own coaching, recruiting".

Ross Lyon has taken the blame plenty of times this year for Fremantle and he has a significant amount of credits in the bank in comparison to Hardwick.

If you're happy with Hardwick then each to their own.
Significant credits, so you will be happy if we make a couple of Grand Finals but lose?

I like the part where he's conceded we're not a chance to play finals and will look to play young players, even though we're still a mathematical possibility. (8 in a row)

Other than that it was normal press conference speak, whats important is what happens at selection tonight and during the game Saturday.

pretty sure almost every Tiger fan was frothing over him when he came over, we really thought he was going to be the man, and he was good...for 3 years
not me mate i was missing .sorry just came across as a country bumpkin nice bloke .Turned the joit into a retirement village. Too many cliches and one liners with broken promises .Mental midget

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Hardwick's Thursday Press Conference

Remove this Banner Ad

Back