Hartung, Stewart and Willsmore(to be rookied, due to contract) all delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with all Clarko moves but this year if any proves he can reflect very quickly on mistakes and re-set. The post bye game plan is case in point. I was scared Clarko might have lost a bit of his touch without Fages around early this year

I'm happy to be fired from Bigfooty for even thinking it in retrospect

Next season will be the big test for Clarko's game plan tbh, yeah he recovered last year but the season was already shot with the original game play that lead us to having a disastrous first half of the year. It's very hard to separate teams 4th-13th and a lot will come down to luck with injury and how well they are coached in 2018.

To be fair, there were a lot of detractors on this forum before he was delisted, and he certainly had his deficiencies, but yeah, I agree. When you've got blokes saying Billy didn't really have genuine pace you know the group think has really set in. I've mentioned it a few times, but if you really think Billy didn't have pace watch this:

The guy that won that sprint - finishing only one place ahead of Billy - had a 20m sprint time at draft camp of 2.76. The second fastest time ever.

The only thing I could watch on the video was the glorious scoreboard. So hard right now!

With Billy im a bit on the fence I think 2016 he was actually out performing b.hill first half of the season and was very stiff to get dropped. . This yr I expected him to approve with hilly departure but he continued to make the same mistakes. That being said simply bring in impey and delist Billy does not increase our lack of speed.
I more puzzled that willsmore is getting another crack over billy. He looked just as soft in his only afl games.

Just want to understand this, are you puzzled that Billy didn't accept a rookie contract with us, because that it all that Willsmore has done.

I don't understand how Willsmore is contracted for 2018.

The rookie salary saving makes sense, but how did the guy ever get a longer deal than 1 year?

Hartung is a peanut. I do believe we should have been able to extract a pick for him, but he's not a player you want playing for your football side in big games

Squads win premierships. In 14 and 15, Billy came in and out of the side, often directly or indirectly off the back of an injury to a senior player (think Mitchell's hamstring for example).
He didn't come in to do the exact role the injured player was doing - Clarko gave him a role to play. Mostly we won these matches with a weakened 22.

I will guarantee that the players who actually have the medallion would all sing the praises of Billy and players like him. I've never heard that Billy complained about his role. So he departs as part of a premiership 3 peat squad. If not for the likes of Billy selflessly playing this role, we win nothing.

Hi Hawks, whats the deal with Hartung? Is he worth picking up for Richmond.Whenever I've seen him play, he was a real line breaker.Has he got an attitude problem or is it is lack of pressure?.I also wouldnt recommend taking any Richmond delistings. Maybe Batchelor could take a back spot but Ben Lennon is too selfish. Best of luck next year.

Hi Hawks, whats the deal with Hartung? Is he worth picking up for Richmond.Whenever I've seen him play, he was a real line breaker.Has he got an attitude problem or is it is lack of pressure?.I also wouldnt recommend taking any Richmond delistings. Maybe Batchelor could take a back spot but Ben Lennon is too selfish. Best of luck next year.
Your tigers high pressure game style, that took you to premiership glory, will be copied by most next year.

Richmond killed Billy! :(

Can definitely break a line, and he's a decent long shot at goal also. His decision making sadly lets him down. I don't think he'd add much to your side.

With Billy im a bit on the fence I think 2016 he was actually out performing b.hill first half of the season and was very stiff to get dropped. . This yr I expected him to approve with hilly departure but he continued to make the same mistakes. That being said simply bring in impey and delist Billy does not increase our lack of speed.
I more puzzled that willsmore is getting another crack over billy. He looked just as soft in his only afl games.
I agree. I think the difference is that Billy was given so many opportunities to show his abilities at AFL level where as Willsmore hasn’t.

On the face of it, it does seem harsh that Billy was dropped and someone who doesn’t appear to offer any more is kept. But until we see Willsmore in the AFL we won’t know if he has another gear like Hardwick has shown with some consistent AFL game time.

Let’s hope he gets an opportunity and proves himself (and Clarko’s choice to be the right one).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is he “contracted” though? He didn’t exactly dominate in the VFL or improve on his game.

Luckiest player to be on the list right now.

I don't know the answer to that - just the people who are all perplexed and saying 'why Hartung and not Willsmore????' are glancing over the fact that one was contracted and the other wasn't.

The hysteria over Hartung's delisting is bemusing to say the least. Apart from Josh Kennedy, i can't recall a playing in the past 15 years we let go ever coming back to bite us - not even the great BUDDY! There were protests when we let Croad go, Thompson, Rawlings, Hay........and we should have been locked up for getting a first rounder for Lonie from Port- that was absolute theft!
They same thing was being said about Hallahan and he really came back to bite us at the Suns!
If we are arguing about a bloke who only got games this year because of our extensive injury list, we are in real trouble!
Not wanting to be offensive, but the guy was a squib and to quote the great Martin Pike - 4 time premiership player - "he sleeps with the light on".
I'm personally glad we cut our losses because if you analyse his game - his 22 possession per game average was boosted by the fact he was receiving chip kicks in the back pocket - didn't realise it was his mandate to break lines from so far deep in defence - sorry, my bad, that is where you can actually rack up a bruise free stat!
Agree Willsmore should also have been let go and just unfortunate was still contracted and we always try and fulfill our contractual obligations. We did exactly the same thing with the man mountain Sam Grimley when we re-drafted him as a rookie.
I suggest we all visit the board of which ever team picks him up and see there thoughts but more importantly, frustrations............

End for what is worth and i know it was a different era, but some of the players we let go back in the day and still managed to win premiership was a list of who's who - Eade, Wallace, Abbot, Greg Dear, Kenny Judge........and we are really this concerned about Billy Hartung? Clarko isn't a 4 time premiership by chance.

Last edited:
I thought Stewart showed some promise. Did more at Box Hill than Willsmore from the games I attended.

I agree. I think the difference is that Billy was given so many opportunities to show his abilities at AFL level where as Willsmore hasn’t.

On the face of it, it does seem harsh that Billy was dropped and someone who doesn’t appear to offer any more is kept. But until we see Willsmore in the AFL we won’t know if he has another gear like Hardwick has shown with some consistent AFL game time.

Let’s hope he gets an opportunity and proves himself (and Clarko’s choice to be the right one).

No one was dropped. They were both offered contracts at a value the club thought was fair, Willsmore was happy to take the financial package and move to the rookie list, Hartung wasn't prepared to accept our financial package even though it would ahve kept him on the main list.

I'm really just shocked he managed to run the right way.

I'm happy to admit I was wrong about Hartung. He can run in straight lines.

daduntsh.gif

The hysteria over Hartung's delisting is bemusing to say the least. Apart from Josh Kennedy, i can't recall a playing in the past 15 years we let go ever coming back to bite us - not even the great BUDDY! There were protests when we let Croad go, Thompson, Rawlings, Hay........and we should have been locked up for getting a first rounder for Lonie from Port- that was absolute theft!
They same thing was being said about Hallahan and he really came back to bite us at the Suns!
If we are arguing about a bloke who only got games this year because of our extensive injury list, we are in real trouble!
Not wanting to be offensive, but the guy was a squib and to quote the great Martin Pike - 4 time premiership player - "he sleeps with the light on".
I'm personally glad we cut our losses because if you analyse his game - his 22 possession per game average was boosted by the fact he was receiving chip kicks in the back pocket - didn't realise it was his mandate to break lines from so far deep in defence - sorry, my bad, that is where you can actually rack up a bruise free stat!
Agree Willsmore should also have been let go and just unfortunate was still contracted and we always try and fulfill our contractual obligations. We did exactly the same thing with the man mountain Sam Grimley when we re-drafted him as a rookie.
I suggest we all visit the board of which ever team picks him up and see there thoughts but more importantly, frustrations............

End for what is worth and i know it was a different era, but some of the players we let go back in the day and still managed to win premiership was a list of who's who - Eade, Wallace, Abbot, Greg Dear, Kenny Judge........and we are really this concerned about Billy Hartung? Clarko isn't a 4 time premiership by chance.
Great post. You only forgot Gary Ablett at the end there.

I wonder if how things played out with Hartung will act as a cautionary tale to the other youngsters on our list. That just because you're frequently getting games doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be considered a "required player" when you try playing hard ball with your contract negotiations. That maybe they shouldn't take much credence from the words of those around them who have nothing to lose by telling you that you're awesome and should explore your options.

While I'm sure there will be another club who pick him up as a DFA, being delisted in the first place is never a point you want your footy career to get to. Particularly not when in your head you're best 22 at the most successful club in the league over the span of your AFL career (and much longer than that) and you think you should be inking your biggest contract to date.

As a teaching moment for the rest of our young list, it is in Hawthorn's interest that Billy doesn't go sign a big contract elsewhere. I'm sure he's nice kid so I do hope he can get a second shot at another club. A rookie list spot somewhere would still be a reality check.

Your excatly right although sam Gibson and Cam Pederdson would have played a few games the last few years.

P.s you know what did bite us in the ass thou ? not picking zach merret!! That was a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back