Hartung, Stewart and Willsmore(to be rookied, due to contract) all delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting time for Hartung, were other clubs really interested and holding back trading for him and planning to swoop in like a seagull on a hot chip? or has young Billy done a Xavier Richards and overplayed his hand? Would he accept a rookie spot lifeline?

Interesting time for Hartung, were other clubs really interested and holding back trading for him and planning to swoop in like a seagull on a hot chip? or has young Billy done a Xavier Richards and overplayed his hand? Would he accept a rookie spot lifeline?
this is what happens when the people who advise you are idiots

Can we get someone to pony up and state clearly whether Hartung was offered a contract or not? And where that information comes from, however redacted.

Hartung, contract offer, no contract offer, has been creeping into this discussion for months as statements inferring inside info, and often used to undercut people's opinions, but is that just another opinion?

Can we get someone to pony up and state clearly whether Hartung was offered a contract or not? And where that information comes from, however redacted.

Hartung, contract offer, no contract offer, has been creeping into this discussion for months as statements inferring inside info, and often used to undercut people's opinions, but is that just another opinion?
You're not going to get a clear cut answer but basically he was offered a contract after being shopped around, more so out of good will. He didn't like the security the contract offered and took his chances in the draft.

You're not going to get a clear cut answer but basically he was offered a contract after being shopped around, more so out of good will. He didn't like the security the contract offered and took his chances in the draft.

Thanks for that.

I still think such a statement has to have a source. Even if it is....I heard it as a rumor from a friend, or I heard it on radio (which can be hard to footnote) or my inside source at the club said, or the media reports, so people can get some perspective on it. Even, it appears to me likely that x happened.

Cause often posters state it as a fact, sometimes the same posters that held different positions earlier.

FFS though, sprinting in a running race aint what someone does on a footy field.

Don't disagree, he could certainly look slow on the field due to indecision, but at least one poster has tried to mount an argument that he couldn't actually sprint, and he was all about endurance. Clearly a lot of post-delisting justifications going on that don't really match reality. Stats wise Billy seemed to progress every year, and also seemed to get better towards the end of this season. I too was frustrated watching him break the lines then get frozen with indecision on what would have been his kick inside 50, but he did seem to be improving, and was only 22. For mine, the only way to make sense of the delisting decision is to believe the 'turned down a contract' rumours. Would be doubly shocked if nobody else gives him a go, given he had an improving trajectory. The only way I can't see that happening is if there is deeper attitude issues that the industry knows about and the average bigfooty poster doesn't.

Given we've been susceptible to sides that move the ball quickly for a while now (even when at our best), I can definitely see Billy getting one back on us if he meets us again as an opposition player in the future, especially if a change of scenery helps with his confidence, and that improves his indecision issues (some have noted he didn't look to have that hesitance in his game when at TAC level, so I can easily believe it is confidence rather than a slow brain).

At the end of the day though, if he didn't want to accept a contract the club thought was fair, as as been suggested, then I will not be shedding too many tears over Billy.

Hi Hawks, whats the deal with Hartung? Is he worth picking up for Richmond.Whenever I've seen him play, he was a real line breaker.Has he got an attitude problem or is it is lack of pressure?

Perhaps not the best fit for Richmond that rely heavily on pressure to make their game plan work. Didn't lay a lot of tackles, but also played an outside role that didn't provide the tackling opportunities an inside mid has. His biggest problem was indecision that then led to poor disposal, as while he'd often find some space, he either took too long and then kicked to the wrong option, or butchered the ball under pressure after his space disappeared. This may be a fixable problem , as his indecision looked like it could be down to confidence. I haven't seen it myself, but others have noted (and you can read it in the pre-draft reports of his draft year) that he didn't seem to have that indecision as a junior, and was also a pretty good user of the ball, despite getting a reputation as a ball butcher while at Hawthorn. Those TAC reports make me think his indecision was more about confidence than a slow footy brain.

If Hardwick could get him playing more on intuition and could find a role for a guy who is going to be mostly outside and not the kind of pressure machine Tigers have tried to turn all their players into, then it is worth a risk at the right price, but I suspect he'd fit better into other team's game plan, although Billy might find it tough finding a new home for that reason, given how many side's copy the premier the next season, so a delisted player who doesn't have 'good at applying pressure' on his resume may be at a disadvantage trying to get picked up. We'll see.

Don't disagree, he could certainly look slow on the field due to indecision, but at least one poster has tried to mount an argument that he couldn't actually sprint, and he was all about endurance. Clearly a lot of post-delisting justifications going on that don't really match reality. Stats wise Billy seemed to progress every year, and also seemed to get better towards the end of this season. I too was frustrated watching him break the lines then get frozen with indecision on what would have been his kick inside 50, but he did seem to be improving, and was only 22. For mine, the only way to make sense of the delisting decision is to believe the 'turned down a contract' rumours. Would be doubly shocked if nobody else gives him a go, given he had an improving trajectory. The only way I can't see that happening is if there is deeper attitude issues that the industry knows about and the average bigfooty poster doesn't.

Given we've been susceptible to sides that move the ball quickly for a while now (even when at our best), I can definitely see Billy getting one back on us if he meets us again as an opposition player in the future, especially if a change of scenery helps with his confidence, and that improves his indecision issues (some have noted he didn't look to have that hesitance in his game when at TAC level, so I can easily believe it is confidence rather than a slow brain).

At the end of the day though, if he didn't want to accept a contract the club thought was fair, as as been suggested, then I will not be shedding too many tears over Billy.
Yeah, the speed thing is a bit of a bugbear for me. Whether he had it or not, and it appears he did, it didnt translate to being able to play footy.

I would suggest some of his apparent hesitation, and indecision came down to trying too hard, trying to do more than he was capable of. Overthinking it even. Or was it the pressure to perform and play to instruction that went against the footy intinct we saw when he first arrived? Doesnt matter now.

Being kind, a Benny McGlynn lite is my opinion of him. Similarly I see him feeling nervous about his place in the 22, and even feeling of being jilted at not playing finals footy. It follows that he looked elsewhere. Being unkind, and this is where the stats dont count for a thing, I came to see Billy as Chicken Little. Shocking decisions overshadowed his sometime good work and occasional good games.
I actually think he could be a more than handy pickup for someone, but at the very least will be handy depth. If someone is ready to work with him and is in a position to be patient and invest more time ... good luck to them both.

We'll see over the next few weeks how things play out. We've got bigger fish to fry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Hawks, whats the deal with Hartung? Is he worth picking up for Richmond.Whenever I've seen him play, he was a real line breaker.Has he got an attitude problem or is it is lack of pressure?.I also wouldnt recommend taking any Richmond delistings. Maybe Batchelor could take a back spot but Ben Lennon is too selfish. Best of luck next year.
Maybe a straight swap for Dusty next year?

Lol the same question over and over can the mods add that to the title of this thread. Willsmore was contracted for next year
I prefer to know who came in here to shout loud noises instead of read

Clarko also advised Billy to never marry as it would involve physical contact as well.

This "physical contact": for some of us in long term relationships, can you please explain?

Lol the same question over and over can the mods add that to the title of this thread. Willsmore was contracted for next year
Did you read my post? I said on like the 3rd line that the Hawks had committed to picking up Willsmore in the rookie draft.

Did you read my post? I said on like the 3rd line that the Hawks had committed to picking up Willsmore in the rookie draft.

He wasn't addressing you. Seriously. When is this account getting nuked again?

The hysteria over Hartung's delisting is bemusing to say the least. Apart from Josh Kennedy, i can't recall a playing in the past 15 years we let go ever coming back to bite us - not even the great BUDDY! There were protests when we let Croad go, Thompson, Rawlings, Hay........and we should have been locked up for getting a first rounder for Lonie from Port- that was absolute theft!
They same thing was being said about Hallahan and he really came back to bite us at the Suns!
If we are arguing about a bloke who only got games this year because of our extensive injury list, we are in real trouble!
Not wanting to be offensive, but the guy was a squib and to quote the great Martin Pike - 4 time premiership player - "he sleeps with the light on".
I'm personally glad we cut our losses because if you analyse his game - his 22 possession per game average was boosted by the fact he was receiving chip kicks in the back pocket - didn't realise it was his mandate to break lines from so far deep in defence - sorry, my bad, that is where you can actually rack up a bruise free stat!
Agree Willsmore should also have been let go and just unfortunate was still contracted and we always try and fulfill our contractual obligations. We did exactly the same thing with the man mountain Sam Grimley when we re-drafted him as a rookie.
I suggest we all visit the board of which ever team picks him up and see there thoughts but more importantly, frustrations............

End for what is worth and i know it was a different era, but some of the players we let go back in the day and still managed to win premiership was a list of who's who - Eade, Wallace, Abbot, Greg Dear, Kenny Judge........and we are really this concerned about Billy Hartung? Clarko isn't a 4 time premiership by chance.

You say 'not wanting to be offensive' and the go straight into calling him a squib which is about as offensive as you can get.

He wasn't addressing you. Seriously. When is this account getting nuked again?
Whoops, my bad. Honest mistake. I don't know when my account is getting nuked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back