Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

You're trying to justify suing for 150k for a racially motivated comment.
Yes. You can sue for whatever you want to ask for unless there is a limitation. This is simply a fact.

You're also trying to justify Faruqi's comments were ok, coz, 'the queen is dead, you can't defame the dead' lol, again no surprise.
No. Read it again.

I was saying Faruqi's comments are true and echoed in many different countries.

The death of Queen Elizabeth II has prompted an outpouring of reflection and reaction online. But not all was grief – some young Africans instead are sharing images and stories of their own elders, who endured a brutal period of British colonial history during the Queen’s long reign.​
“I cannot mourn,” one wrote on Twitter, posting an image of what she said was her grandmother’s “movement pass” – a colonial document which prevented free travel for Kenyans under British rule in the east African country.
Another wrote that her grandmother “used to narrate to us how they were beaten & how their husbands were taken away from them & left to look after their kids,” during colonial times. “May we never forget them. They are our heroes,” she added.​
Their refusal to mourn highlights the complexity of the legacy of the Queen, who despite widespread popularity was also seen as a symbol of oppression in parts of the world where the British Empire once extended.​
Kenya, which had been under British rule since 1895, was named an official colony in 1920 and remained that way until it won independence in 1963. Among the worst atrocities under British rule occurred during the Mau Mau uprising, which started in 1952 – the year Queen Elizabeth took the throne.​
The colonial administration at the time carried out extreme acts of torture, including castration and sexual assault, in detainment camps where as many as 150,000 Kenyans were held. Elderly Kenyans who sued for compensation in 2011 were ultimately awarded £19.9 million by a British court, to be split between more than 5,000 claimants.​
The UK Foreign Secretary at the time, William Hague, said: “The British Government recognises that Kenyans were subject to torture and other forms of ill treatment at the hands of the colonial administration. The British government sincerely regrets that these abuses took place, and that they marred Kenya’s progress towards independence.”​

Willing to bet you'd think differently if Faruqi had passed and the queen tweeted 'can't support someone who was an irrational progressive and willingly displays disdain for the monarchy'
Queen is dead. She can't. Queen also had a different office and place in society.

drive by comment
Belittling the sentiments expressed in that comment and by millions around the world.

I'm no fan of the hanson
Dunno about that but I will take it on face value. I don't recall you commenting about her but that's no litmus test as I read dozens of posts a day.

baited dumb ass hanson hook, line and sinker.
Hanson did this to herself. She is a racist piece of shit.

Either either, in no known universe is pursuing such a heavy penalty is valid, regardless if it's legal recourse.
So what is the upper limit for these actions?

Does the law cite an upper limit? If not, it's valid. Racists are getting theirs. Deal with it.

Last edited:
Yes. You can sue for whatever you want to ask for unless there is a limitation. This is simply a fact.
Yeah you keep saying this and I keep saying every dog and their bowl knows this.
I was saying Faruqi's comments are true and echoed in many different countries.
And? No need to make the comment.
Queen also had a different office and place in society.
So what? That doesn't make it any different.
Belittling the sentiments expressed in that comment and by millions around the world.
Again, so what? No need to make the comment.
Dunno about that but I will take it on face value. I don't recall you commenting about her but that's no litmus test as I read dozens of posts a day.
As expected, because you're blinded by ideology and outraged at hanson coz hanson, you think I've picked a 'side'.

I don't how many times I need to say it, suing for 150k because of a racist comment is ridiculous.

Couldn't give a sh*t if it's hanson, Faruqi or the queen suing - it's ludicrous.
Hanson did this to herself. She is a racist piece of s**t.
And? I'm not arguing that, as I said, the idiot she is she reacted to Faruqi's comments.

'She's a racist piece of s**t' is your justification for Faruqi suing - your outrage on show here.
So what is the upper limit for these actions?

Does the law cite an upper limit? If not, it's valid. Racists are getting theirs. Deal with it.
Again, you're pointing out captain obvious statements. Couldn't care less that 'racists are getting theirs. Deal with it' - your outrage on show here again.

'She's a racist piece of s**t' is your justification for Faruqi suing - your outrage on show here.
Well, YES.

If she wasn't racist, would she have said that? Almost certainly not.

She said what she said and is being sued.

And? No need to make the comment.
THEREFORE THE CRITICISM IS INVALID.

If she had said "Pakistan is much better than this. I would rather live there," then something like "Well go back to Pakistan, then." might be a valid response.

Sorry mate but I don't know why I have to explain this in such detail. It seems to follow automatically.

To answer "is $150k valid" yes it is. For reasons I said earlier.

Repeat offender? Jack up the award.

Unrepentant racist? Jack up the award.

Around the normal threshold or a threshold established in law for similar cases? Valid ask.

Policy of punishing these types of comments or people? Jack up the award.

Well, YES.

If she wasn't racist, would she have said that? Almost certainly not.

She said what she said and is being sued.
An expected response from you.

Your ideological bent is definitely on show.

On the other end of the spectrum, to be consistent, it would also be fair for the monarchy to sue Faruqi for her comments.

To answer "is $150k valid" yes it is. For reasons I said earlier.
Well that's subject to opinion.

If this is valid, then we'd have people in their 50s and 60s suing classmates from the 70s and 80s suing for eye watering amounts because 'he said something nasty to me'. Wah!!

Literally 100s of thousands of cases, but most people don't throw their toys out of the cot, or use litigation in bad faith because they have an agenda bent and move on.

Faruqi suing for 150k has a look of petulance, you can argue it doesn't but that only reflects your world view - outrage!!!

Hanson being the *wit she is, looks infantile with her comment.

Could've all been avoided if Faruqi kept her sentiment to herself.

This comment is ridiculous, even for you. You are blaming Faruqi for Pauline's racism.

It's almost like, you don't want Faruqi to have a platform.
Lol, no I'm not, hanson is dhead who reacted to Faruqi's unnecessary comments.

I couldn't give a flying if Farquqi has a platform or not, it's not like she was asked to pass comment on the queens death.

But you can't see the point, no surprise.

Lol, no I'm not, hanson is dhead who reacted to Faruqi's unnecessary comments.

I couldn't give a flying if Farquqi has a platform or not, it's not like she was asked to pass comment on the queens death.

But you can't see the point, no surprise.

If you believe in the Queen then you would know that God will save her.

She'll be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

has it not? Neither of us know cos when it happens to an ordinary person it doesnt make the media.

but the fact the law allows it means it can.
Well I guess that's a consequence of the free society we live.

Thankfully irrational reaction by the easily offended or worse those with an axe to grind, like Faruqi and Hanson are very much the exception.

Neither of us know cos when it happens to an ordinary person it doesnt make the media.
The righty commentariat jumps on every single one of these like it's the end of the world. We'd know.

Pauline hanson is currently facing hundreds of thousands on a court case cos she told someone to go back to another country?

Was what she said stupid? Absolutely and she should be called out for it. But wasting taxpayers money on a court case and penalising the person who said it hundreds of thousands of dollars is insane.

have we forgotton why racism is a bad thing? Its when it was used to discriminate against employment and consumption or incite violence.

none of which apply here. This is trivial school yard level teasing. Why the hell is it going to court?
Please provide a link to the case. Thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back