Has the game passed Nick Reiwoldt ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: St Kilda need to trade Riewoldt

Is it time to part company?

Should the Saints cash in while he still has some currency?

He'll be 29 next year and doesn't seem the same player after the hammy problems.

Essendon had a similar situation with Lloyd and kept him around but he was not the same player and the side suffered for years. Sheeds has said he would have tried to trade Lloyd for Judd.

It would have broken a lot of supporters hearts and who knows what it would have done to the playing group and culture.

The general opinion is the Saints are about to rebuild and won't be up there for another 3+ years. Reiwoldt won't be around for the next flag.

It's a tough hard cold business and I think the Saints need to trade him on.

Hawthorn did it to Hay and Thompson and got a flag a few years later. Colingwood did it with Tarrant and got a flag a few years later.

No, just no.

You don't move on champions of the club like Riewoldt. He has earned the right to play a few bad games. To even mention Hay, Thompson and Tarrant in the same category as Riewoldt is disrespectful.

He's one of they guys that plays his career out at the one club. Would get some decent picks, but it will never happen

IMHO Riewoldt is not a champion just a very very good A grade player. His poor kicking for goal over many years stops him being a champion like Carey and Ablett senior IMHO.

We just need to recruit a big forward that can actually play the game and it will free Riewoldt up and wont be as much pressure on the bloke to carry the team...

Are players not allowed to have a form slump? This is probably his first one in 10 years playing at the top level...

We just need to recruit a big forward that can actually play the game and it will free Riewoldt up and wont be as much pressure on the bloke to carry the team...

Are players not allowed to have a form slump? This is probably his first one in 10 years playing at the top level...

Well said,
Every player has a form slump.

R.I.P Didaka

You don't offload champs when they hit a bit of poor form, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the playing group?

If I was a Saints supporter and they tried to trade someone like Roo I would be filthy.

Absolutely not. Ridiculous suggestion.

Did you think we should've traded Matthew Lloyd in 2006? (assuming he hadn't been injured)

I'll put my hand up and say yes to this one. Assuming it was for a decent return (otherwise there'd be no point) it probably would have helped stave off the stupidity of the last few years.

As for Nick, can't see the point in trading him, unless it's for a young, gun forward (basically his replacement). The Saints are better served keeping him and him providing the forward target and leadership for the young guys coming through

I'll put my hand up and say yes to this one. Assuming it was for a decent return (otherwise there'd be no point) it probably would have helped stave off the stupidity of the last few years.

And in return you completely disillusion the playing group, fan base and gut the soul of the club.

Now is it worth a couple of first round draft picks?

Yes, I agree with the OP.

Saints need to trade Riewoldt to a team like Carlton, for a pacy midfielder with a penetrating kick, like McLean.

Win/Win. Saints should do it.

St Kilda need to stop playing a game style that sees him having to scrounge around the wings for the footy often against 3 or 4 opponents trying to mark shit passes from spuds like Jones, Baker, etc.

Lyon has a lot to answer for sometimes. It's not so much that they lost against the Pies but more the way they lost. That style gave them no chance whatsoever. Only leads to Riewoldt and Milne competing against 7 or 8 Pie defenders all game and then Collingwood running the ball forward while sluggish pathetic Saints players offer all the pressure of a bunch of witches hats.

Surely after a team belts you in a final you would have a think about the way you go about it and change a few things? Was the most stupid, excruciating bunch of shit I have seen last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do saints supporters still believe that Kosi would be better than Riewoldt if he could string a few games together?

That line was trotted out every second day a couple of years ago.

It's their gameplan killing him the most, and he also probably needs someone else to split time with him between CHF/FF (not Kosi).

Trying to take mark of the year on the wing when they come out of defense because every other teammate have collapsed back flooding is just a total waste of energy for him and is not befitting of a man of his attacking talents.

And in return you completely disillusion the playing group, fan base and gut the soul of the club.

The playing group is about to get turned over. There'll be less than half the team there in 3 years.

A new system, new culture, new blood can quickly change it.

The AFL was about 20 years behind in tactics and many other things compared to overseas sports.

This one club player thing is the next to go.

he's earned the right to stay a one club player if he chooses. however, if he's happy to go to a club with a chance at a flag then it could be win-win. can't see him leaving the saints though.

That's a possibility not a fact.

I won't comment on the playing group because I'm not a part of it, but I would have thought winning would be important to them....

Disillusion the supporters? Some yes, that happens with every decision. I talked to many Bomber fans who were in favour of trading him (and getting rid of Sheedy earlier than we did), you could even say that some of them were disillusioned by the fact that these things didn't happen.

A couple of 1sts? No, but then i said the return had to be worthwhile, which means picks and good, young players.

Since when has Riewoldt been dubbed a 'champion' and what has he done to earn that accolade ??

Depending on which fan base/commentators/media outlets you listen too, quite a few years, although the great thing is, you don't have to agree with them if you don't want to.

It was a tag given too him based on the way he played football, in particular for the way he played/is playing with the St Kilda football club

Do saints supporters still believe that Kosi would be better than Riewoldt if he could string a few games together?

That line was trotted out every second day a couple of years ago.

hahahahahaha your joking right? Kosi doesnt deserve to be playing at Sandy Seniors...

Don't subscribe to the idea that he is no chance to play in their next flag. With an actual pre season, the return of Hayes and some smart recruiting over October/November and they are right back in it. This year is a write off. They do need another forward though who can play a bit deeper. Any Saints fans know why Rhys Stanley isn't getting a gig? He was meant to be one of the best players on your list by now.

I see where the OP is coming from. Nick won't be around for the next shot, and his worth since the hammy has reduced immensely.

But considering he is their captain, and their public image then they would be in shot with the supporters and business side of things and for this reason they can't get rid of him.

What would they get for him? He's on big $ and is 29, no one with a low pick would want him and teams in contention couldn't afford him and wouldn't have the picks to trade.

So in reality it couldn't be done with the Saints getting value and the damage done to the brand would not be worth it.

If you start trading off your captain and club champion you'll find it hard to re-sign your free agent age players in future, especually if you want them to take less than markt value. Why should they when they might be traded off in a couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the game passed Nick Reiwoldt ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back