Hawk Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

So the general consensus seems to be:

1) McEntee to be upgraded/elevated to the senior list,
2) Collins to be retained on rookie list for a second year,
3) Gibson to be cut from rookie list, and
4) Suckling to be cut from rookie list.

Giving us 3 rookie spots to fill next year.

There you go - it's that easy! Now let's get cracking on the senior list..:D

na, not sure bout that with Gibson, lol, people were raving bout him early, and he did show the skill to warrant an elevation( at the time :S ). there were talks of a possible elevation early as well

the common theme with our three rookies last yr - Gibson, Collins and Suckling were what the recruiters identified as a weakness in statistics, which was kicking efficiency and long kicks.

i dont think Suckling will stay, which is a shame, because he chose to come to us instead of being rookie to Sydney via NSW pick.

Collins came back injured, and yet still got 17 touches in the first half of his BH debut - should stay

Gibson showed enough early, not sure why/how much he dropped off, but did enough i think

McEntee - has developed and would bolster our ruck stocks, but would they be too full? ... with Taylor, Campbell, Bailey, Renouf and McEntee all under 25, someone will miss out on games, is he worth an elevation?

McEntee - has developed and would bolster our ruck stocks, but would they be too full? ... with Taylor, Campbell, Bailey, Renouf and McEntee all under 25, someone will miss out on games, is he worth an elevation?

No and No.

No - we need 5 ruckmen on the books. Every year we seem to lose 1 ruckman for most of the season. Example - Bailey 2007, Everitt 2006, Campbell 2005 etc. So we end up with only 4 ruckmen and usually 1 of those 4 are out for short term injuries. This year we have been lucky with both Campbell and Taylor going through all 24 matches but I dont know whether we will be that lucky in the future.

Further our game plan is based around having 2 ruckmen in the team.

No - The one thing that makes McEntee different is that he is a tap ruckman. According to one of our senior assistant coaches he could go on to be one of the best... up to Luke to make it happen but it could.

So McEntee gives the coaches a different weapon.

No and No.

No - The one thing that makes McEntee different is that he is a tap ruckman. According to one of our senior assistant coaches he could go on to be one of the best... up to Luke to make it happen but it could.

So McEntee gives the coaches a different weapon.

sorry Rusty, but im a bit confused with ur response

the second question was is he worthy of a elevation, and u said no

but then went on to say he could go on to be one of the best tap ruckman

are u saying that U dont think he is worthy of an elevation, but the coaches may select him because he may prove to be a weapon for the team?

sorry Rusty, but im a bit confused with ur response

the second question was is he worthy of a elevation, and u said no

but then went on to say he could go on to be one of the best tap ruckman

are u saying that U dont think he is worthy of an elevation, but the coaches may select him because he may prove to be a weapon for the team?

Your quite correct, should be No and Yes.... I think... anyway I vote him to be upgraded either way and I vote we have 5 ruckman... not that we take a vote.. its late :)

WAFL boys to have a look at for rookie or later draft pick.

Trent Dennis-Lane (Subiaco) 80+ goals this season as an 18 y/o (kicked 3 in the winning reserves grand final on the weekend) Crumbing HF type.

Callum Wilson (South Fremantle) Colts best and fairest 2006 and had a great year in the seniors. Similar type to Birchall but a bit better overhead and good on both sides of the body ,can also go forward. Plays KP in WAFL but is just over 190 cm. Heard that West Coast are keen on him.

Josh Pullman (Swan Districts) Captain of the colts this season , BOG in the grand final where he kicked 5 and was in everything. Very hard at it.

Wes Lammie (Swan Districts) Played CHB on Cale Morton in the colts Grand Final and towelled him up. Morton I think took 2 marks and had about 6 touches.

Out of these guys , Wilson is the one who could slot straight into an AFL side. All have tremendous work ethic too.

My thoughts:

McEntee - shows alot of promise as a developing ruckman. A different player to any other ruckman on our list and I think it's likely that the Hawks will either promote him or delist him and hope to re-rookie list him. Still needs to find more footy around the ground, but he has a winning attitude and takes footy very seriously. I reckon he could make it.

Suckling - his fitness obviously took a battering due to his injuries and thus struggled a bit. Has a good kick on him, but I'm not sure where his best position would be. Probably 50/50 chance of staying.

Collins - injuries ruined his year as well. The Hawks seemed pretty keen on his potential so I think they may persist with him. That said, we may be ruthless on this one.

Gibson - good VFL player that finds heaps of the footy and can kick goals, but I'm not sure on whether he does enough get a chance at AFL level.

I think this years draft more a case of getting at least 1 more KPP backman and the rest just succession planning.

McEntee to be upgraded or traded. Hopefully upgraded. Has really come along in leaps and bounds this year.

Collins to remain a rookie...injury has ruined his year but what I saw I liked.

Gibson. As I didnt see him play at Box Hill - not sure. What I saw at training was a VERY long kick of the ball ala Clinton Young.

Suckling to be let go as a lesson to others.

lesson to others.. what a joke... i hope he gets retained.. dont make assmptions

WAFL boys to have a look at for rookie or later draft pick.

Trent Dennis-Lane (Subiaco) 80+ goals this season as an 18 y/o (kicked 3 in the winning reserves grand final on the weekend) Crumbing HF type.

Callum Wilson (South Fremantle) Colts best and fairest 2006 and had a great year in the seniors. Similar type to Birchall but a bit better overhead and good on both sides of the body ,can also go forward. Plays KP in WAFL but is just over 190 cm. Heard that West Coast are keen on him.

Josh Pullman (Swan Districts) Captain of the colts this season , BOG in the grand final where he kicked 5 and was in everything. Very hard at it.

Wes Lammie (Swan Districts) Played CHB on Cale Morton in the colts Grand Final and towelled him up. Morton I think took 2 marks and had about 6 touches.

Out of these guys , Wilson is the one who could slot straight into an AFL side. All have tremendous work ethic too.

Thanks alot for that, with Bucky's permanent fort in the W.A for scouting it will be interesting what W.A boys we do get. Cheers again mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? From all reports he and McEntee have been the most impressive rookies. Of course injuries have held Suckling and Collo back.

I hope we keep persisting with Collo and he can have a full season at Box Hill next year
oh sorry i didn't know that they have been the most impressive..anyway thats what i thought.

wathched collins good hands need to bulk up.

Gibson really good at box hill level not up to afl standard tho. Skills let him down.

Suckling had huge raps on him i no 3-4 other afl clubs were interested in him. If the stories are true then he has really let himself down..

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawk Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back